Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times

Advertisements

What? I have pcsed many many times and if its a 10 ppt page presentation about not shipping liquids and fuel, what is the point? Seriously, a few hours out of my day to learn less about the moving process than from the booklet TMO hands out. Huge waste of time and money for a babysitter.

Why would I need the Smooth Move briefing if that is all it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Well, no baby sitter needed cuz the Briefing is online now. There is no such thing as TMO anymore. It's now PPM. Personal Property Management.

Everything is automated. You don't even go in. You get an account for some website, go online, pick your dates, read the power points, check the boxes for what kind of things you are moving, fill out your current and expected addresses, some info about your orders, and call it a day.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Oh that is awesome. My husband will be so happy as he plans on doing all of that in the next few days.

I'm going to check with the family center on the kids smooth move thing. I remember them doing that at some base a couple of moves ago but my kids were too young then. We might be able to squeeze it in. More helpful would be one at the new base though. Maybe I will check with them as well.

Sorry so off topic of the original

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't have kids, so they might have more briefings that I don't know about cuz they don't apply to me. Good luck! It was a pain to get a password and get set-up, but it was better than spending hours in a waiting room or with a group of people asking questions. I liked it. But for a young Airman who has never PCSd they might need more 1 on 1. I'm sure you can call PPM and ask for more guidance if someone needed it.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
In the Marines you have required briefs coming and going. For example:

Home |* Contact Webmaster (http://www.mccscherrypoint.com/relocation.htm - broken link)

Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
In the Marines you have required briefs coming and going. For example:

Home |* Contact Webmaster (http://www.mccscherrypoint.com/relocation.htm - broken link)

In the Army you have required briefs coming and going. They typically call them in-processing and out-processing. You spend a few days walking around with a clip board getting item's checked off/stamped/signed. If you served in the Army for over a few hours you surely have a recollection of the process. And this is your opportunity to learn where the snack bar is. Fort Hood for example:
Fort Hood Directorate of Human Resources

Rich

I think this is getting off topic of "Unemployment given to spouses who QUIT due to Military PC"

Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM

556 posts, read 797,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
dmarie-
Each and every time I filed it was with the losing State as that was where I had been employed. As soon as someone gets the news that they will be PCSing they should contact their HR to get the pertinent facts concerning filing. No, they will NOT be happy- but it is the Law.

If your HR is reluctant to help (or denies benefits for this type of move) contact the State Labor Board (Dept. of Labor, or whatever it is called in that State).

It used to be a pain to file by mail but now that everything is by phone or online things are soooo much easier!

This is so interesting! A friend of mine PCSed to Japan with her husband. When she gave notice at work they told her she would be denied unemployment and not even to try getting it because she was moving "voluntarily". Makes me angry for her!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
This is so interesting! A friend of mine PCSed to Japan with her husband. When she gave notice at work they told her she would be denied unemployment and not even to try getting it because she was moving "voluntarily". Makes me angry for her!

That's probably because employers don't know about the Military clauses, or think they will have to pay for it. Employers are generally penalized when one of their employees collects unemployment. They essentially pay a higher tax to cover unemployment that goes up everytime it is awarded to someone. That's why they are always fighting it. In the cases of military members, the employers aren't usually penalized, it's even written into the code for Texas that the employers can NOT be penalized in these circumstances.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,546 times
What if you are currently stationed over seas? What state do you file with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues