Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of a PCS Class! Perhaps that's another boat I've missed, or the bases I've been at just didn't have them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have never heard of a PCS Class! Perhaps that's another boat I've missed, or the bases I've been at just didn't have them....
The Army has had them over the years, but they weren't called "PCS Class", they had various orientation classes, new in country, weapons qualif, race relations, in-briefs, out-briefs, retirement etc. Individual sponsors could be good (or bad).

My wife must have taken the welcome to Germany orientation class a few times, go out in town and shop and eat...

Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I think the Air Force calls them Smooth Move (yes I know how ridiculous that sounds - just try not to think of laxatives when you sign up for it) for the ones prior to the move.

I kind of remember one in Iceland but all I remember from it is them explaining how the traffic lights were different.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Lisdol- yes, we have smooth move briefings. I just had one! It's done online now. It's about 10 powerpoint slides. It's only about the physical moving stuff... you can't pack propane, you can't pack a loaded gun, you can't pack lighter-fluid, you can't pack live animals, you can't pack illegal drugs, ect. It has nothing on there whatsoever about spouses, moving schools for kids, ect....

Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 AM

556 posts, read 797,997 times
That is fantastic information! I have a question...If you PCS overseas can you collect? My assumption is probably not.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I wasn't trying to claim they were CALLED "PCS classes" - I'm sure the Navy had clever names as well. I think it used the word "transition"... it's been a couple/three years since we got out. But every base should have SOMETHING for new families and those who are leaving. I believe the FFSC (Fleet and Family Services Center) on Navy bases handles their classes... I'm sure the other three branches have their own facility of this type.

We never had a sponsor actually contact us from any of our duty stations. One ombudsman did though - but then she got cancer and they replaced her with an active duty spouse of a chief so nothing ever got done again. The wives who ran the Family Support Groups at our duty stations were all more interested in having catered meetings than actually helping any of the families. I tried to get involved when we were stationed in Mayport, but I just couldn't bring myself to attend an FSG meeting that started at 10pm and was held at a nightclub while our husbands were on a 6 month deployment.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Kel- I don't know, but I don't see why not, if you can file in the state you left. I'm a little confused on that though, some say you file in the new state, some say the old state. I'd ask the local unemployment office and see if they can provide guidance....

Anyone know?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Lisdol- yes, we have smooth move briefings. I just had one! It's done online now. It's about 10 powerpoint slides. It's only about the physical moving stuff... you can't pack propane, you can't pack a loaded gun, you can't pack lighter-fluid, you can't pack live animals, you can't pack illegal drugs, ect. It has nothing on there whatsoever about spouses, moving schools for kids, ect....
Ahh OK I have never done one. Glad to know I can skip that. LOL.

I was thinking of looking into the one for kids though. I have 3 school-aged kids for this PCS and they are a little nervous.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
dmarie-
Each and every time I filed it was with the losing State as that was where I had been employed. As soon as someone gets the news that they will be PCSing they should contact their HR to get the pertinent facts concerning filing. No, they will NOT be happy- but it is the Law.

If your HR is reluctant to help (or denies benefits for this type of move) contact the State Labor Board (Dept. of Labor, or whatever it is called in that State).

It used to be a pain to file by mail but now that everything is by phone or online things are soooo much easier!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Ahh OK I have never done one. Glad to know I can skip that. LOL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues