Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,108,199 times

Advertisements

Looks to my surprise I'll be working in the Holland area I'm excited to say the least. I've heard nothing but good things about SW Mich and I LOVE Chicago, so the proximity there is nice.

So in short... What do you think of SW Mich? Any recommendations on good food, good times, good communities?

I'm really excited to be joining your ranks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Holland is one of the best itself. Here is a video put out by the city of Holland. That link also has a lot of information about the city as well.

Downtown Holland to the center of the "Loop" in Chicago is about 2 1/2 hours driving time (150 miles or so). I think you can catch the train in Holland and take that right into Chicago as well if you don't want to drive the entire way. Yep, just checked and Amtrak runs from Holland to Union Station in Chicago in about 3 hours and cost around $28-30 each way.

Last edited by Bydand; 05-26-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,751 times
Congratulations

Life's pretty good in SW MI.

Are you looking for recommendations on a place to live?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Holland is one of the best itself. Here is a video put out by the city of Holland. That link also has a lot of information about the city as well.

Downtown Holland to the center of the "Loop" in Chicago is about 2 1/2 hours driving time (150 miles or so). I think you can catch the train in Holland and take that right into Chicago as well if you don't want to drive the entire way. Yep, just checked and Amtrak runs from Holland to Union Station in Chicago in about 3 hours and cost around $28-30 each way.
That's good news! Makes it seem even more appealing.

Neighborhood recommendations are welcome but it doesn't look like any part is particularly "bad"!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Wish I could help with specific neighborhood recommendations, but it has been too long since I was hanging out in Holland to know what they are like now. I'll get in touch with a friend of mine who lives and works in Holland tomorrow and see what he has to say. (He works at Johnson Controls down there and loves it.)

I'll be down there June 26-27th covering a Civil War Reenactment that will be going on at the Van Raalte Farm. I'm really looking forward to it because I really like Holland and the surrounding area.

Saugatuck is right there (8-10 miles South) and is more "artsy" than most of the area. That whole area has a lot of tourist traffic all summer, but Holland has a much broader economic base than just tourism. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to live down there at all. I'm about 1 1/2 hours North of the Holland area and try to get down that direction a few times a year just because I like it so much.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 PM

What is the general political leaning of the area? I've heard it's slightly conservative which is something I don't mind at all.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Quote:
What is the general political leaning of the area? I've heard it's slightly conservative which is something I don't mind at all.
The area as a whole definitely leans conservative. There are a lot of threads on the Grand Rapids forum that discuss the political nature of Holland if you're interested. I think the city of Holland itself is diverse politically, but the neighboring city of Zeeland is as conservative as you can get (it's also a really nice town). The rural areas around Holland are quite conservative also.

Also... are you the one that I've seen on the Detroit forum that is a big cheerleader for the "D"? Just curious if this is the same person. If so, I give you credit for fighting an uphill battle on that board! Just don't expect Holland to remind you of SE Michigan at all, because it is a different universe in many ways.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Yep, that's me! I love Detroit, it's a soulful city, and I could work there, but I think that being further from the future in-laws will be better for my sanity, plus it puts me right in between four of my favorite cities (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland)

I'm in it for the challenge and the adventure! I know I will love Holland as much. Anywhere on the Lakes makes me happy, I love this region of the country and the attitude it has. I love Michigan and it's always been a dream of mine to live in the mitten. I can't wait to make it come true! I actually START work in 3 1/2 weeks but I'm going to try and get settled in a bit early.

The future Misses has been to Holland before and is overjoyed that I've gotten the opportunity I have. I've never personally been to Holland city but from what she says, it is beautiful, safe, with a healthy economy for the region. (I should have job security anyway as I've been appointed by future family :P)

Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
I'm from SW Michigan, and I can say it is a great area and an excellent place to live. The main drawbacks are the economy (no jobs, but you shouldn't have a problem with that ) and the weather (overcast skies and lake effect snow/rain are the norm, especially during the non-summer months).

You could also look into South Haven, which is about 20 minutes south on I-196. It's a really nice beach town, though somewhat overrun with college kids from Western and tourists from Chicago during the summer. Grand Rapids is nearby if you want something more urban. Kalamazoo is a nice place to live, but a little far, especially in the winter. You could take 131 to M-89 from Kzoo to Holland, it takes about 45 minutes (assuming no snow). Honestly, I would just stick with Holland itself - it's a great town.

I never went to Chicago unless I needed to catch a flight out of O'Hare - but then I hate Chicago. It ALWAYS took me at least 3 hours to reach the Loop - traffic is almost always a NIGHTMARE and there is always road work. I would suggest just taking the train.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM

8 posts, read 12,363 times
Milwaukee rocks.

West side of MI. I'm jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan