Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Im wondering if it has something to do with it being a big tourist town, and so out of towners maybe force the issue thinking they wont be around long enough to suffer the consequences. Be interesting to see when most claims are made. Wont stop me from moving to the area thats for sure.
It would not stop me either. In fact I can't think of much else than moving to T.C. It's #1 on my list of places to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,688 times
Believe me, I don't believe it to be a dangerous place, exactly the opposite, in fact. I was just curious where that number came from!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm looking at crime statistics in the available areas for my future Michigan settling... Why does Traverse city have such a huge forced rape problem? All other statistics are low but forced rape is more than 2x the national average :S
I think it's like others pointed out - rape is a bit different of a crime because it includes "date rapes" as well as violent stranger in a dark alley beating and raping a victim. Reporting rape has a lot to do with culture - in some areas, date rapes are seen more as seductions, passionate dates, and there is more shame in being a rape victim of any kind and much less a tendency to report a rape.

Because of that, an area with a higher rape rate but lower mugging, assault, and homicide rate is likely more upper class and educated, where rape is taken seriously and is reported.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,325 times
Looks like the stat you are referring to is "forcible rape," which is redundant. The number is 12 in the last year, as compared to the national town average of 6. Not like there are thousands of rapes, but 1 is way too many. No murders! That's a good thing.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,721 times
I live in Traverse City and have never heard of this area being a high rape area. The city, county, and state police are all in Traverse City and are quick to respond. Of course this crime may climb if the police force is cut back or kept at a standstill. Right now, I feel this is an extremely safe place to live.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,851 times
Funny I just walked home at 2 am not only did I feel safe I didn't see another person at all.
Keep in mind T.C. Is a tourist town so the populaition goes up quite a bit in the summer time.
That's when you may have more problems. Mostly drunk tourists preying on other drunk tourists.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM

199 posts, read 543,245 times
The problem is a lot of the data they use is applied to the city population. What if the rape happens 15 miles from town and T.C. is closest? They just lump it in. I've already proved some of these stats as misleading. The sexual offenders stats are for the county in some areas. There will be 20000 people listed under the zip code but 3000 in the city, for example. If a crime is committed outside of the city limits, it's still counted to the zip code. Divide it by the smaller population within the city boundaries and the problem seems worse than it is. City-Data really needs to have data by zip code and I guarantee that the picture would be painted differently.

Truth is, chances are good...you will be raped. Don't come crying back here because you ignored Scrolls warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan