Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 AM

19 posts, read 57,418 times

Advertisements

Hello, posted before.

Going to UMich for an interview this week, and now considering a car rental after a suggestion and seeing that the price would be significantly cheaper.

Mm, but I don't know what the roads are like in from Detroit to Ann Arbor? Anybody got any tips about driving from Detroit to Ann Arbor? 8 pm Detroit time I'll be arriving and then I'll be heading back to airport around 5 pm from Ann Arbor if that is relevant.

I'm specifically looking for answers that tell me whether it's an urban detroit environment like NYC driving or more like surburbia driving? It would ease some nerves as I'm not into driving into a city and dealing with rough drivers, pot holes, bad roads, signs, hard to read streets, red light cameras etc. Also looking for car recommendation rentals? Reading the reviews for a car rental company with 11 negatively voiced reviews about how they scam people is not making my life any easier! Why are there are so many negative reviews? Is this just because this is the internet?! Thinking that the drive to the airport from Airport will be stressful/confusing/traffic laden.

So TWO QUESTIONS: (1) car rental recommendations? (2) Traffic/road situation round trip from DTW to Ann Arbor at 8pm and another set at 5 pm?

Thanks!! Big price difference and would really help cut costs down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
It's suburban driving...the DTW airport is outside of Detroit. You will be about 20-30 minutes drive to AA.

The traffic at 8 pm will be pretty light. Going back to the airport at 5:00 will get more congested but traffic should be moving. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I won't be able to answer road condition questions because I haven't been down there for about 9 months. I can tell you that between DTW and AA is only 20-25 miles and it goes rather quickly. NO red light cams anywhere in the State so no worries there. I-94 generally is rocky/rollie because it is cement and you get a bouncy ride for much of it's length (Again, I'm not positive about this stretch though, so take that last bit with a grain of salt).

Haven't rented a car in 20+ years so no help there either, sorry. I have noticed that the internet tends to let people complain more than they would normally, so I take most review sites with a skeptical mind frame. I also tend to question the ones that are all glowing reviews as well.

All I can really say is welcome to the State for a short time and if you have a rental car, get off the freeway a little and take a look around. Even that area has more farming and "outdoors" than a lot of people would think. Around the highway it is built up, but mostly houses and not like driving through a real "urban" area with taller buildings, and parking garages/lots dominating the landscape.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,229 times
It's a really easy from DTW to A2. When you leave the rental site, follow the signs to I-94. Get on heading west. Go another 30 minutes or so, depending on time of day. Ann Arbor exits are clearly marked. Get off on the one leading to the neighborhood you are looking for. If you're heading to a hotel, Mapquest (or Google) it for exact directions/exit. Although there's always some traffic in that area, it's really nothing compared to the larger, more urban areas. You'll not actually get into Detroit as all (DTW is 'really' outside Romulus). The road is pretty good, really, and easy to navigate.

I always rent with Avis. I've found their customer service to be very good and price-wise, all in all they're all about equal for a decent car. Good luck and have a great visit!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,351 times
As others have said it is not a bad drive. An 8pm drive to AA is easy. Take 94 west the whole way. The 5pm drive back to the airport will be heavy with traffic but do-able. Mt wife drives it everyday. Getting to AA in the morning is what is difficult. I don't like driving through AA (not that familiar with it) but it is not like driving through a big ciy.

The only thing that sucks is you have to take a bus (unless they have changed it) from the terminal to the rental place. Make sure you pay attention to your terminal on the way back; Either Mcnamara or Smith (might be one more in there and it depends on the airline) as you can't walk between them, although their are shuttles everywhere.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
As others have said it is not a bad drive. An 8pm drive to AA is easy. Take 94 west the whole way. The 5pm drive back to the airport will be heavy with traffic but do-able. Mt wife drives it everyday. Getting to AA in the morning is what is difficult. I don't like driving through AA (not that familiar with it) but it is not like driving through a big ciy.

The only thing that sucks is you have to take a bus (unless they have changed it) from the terminal to the rental place. Make sure you pay attention to your terminal on the way back; Either Mcnamara or Smith (might be one more in there and it depends on the airline) as you can't walk between them, although their are shuttles everywhere.
True, but when you return your rental car, if you forget which terminal you're flying out of, just tell the Avis (or whoever you rent from) shuttle/bus driver which airline you're flying on and they'll know which terminal to take you to. It's really VERY easy!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 AM

19 posts, read 57,418 times
Default Thanks!!

Thanks!! All the info. has been helpful!!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I rent cars all the time. It is simple and all of the major rental companies are about the same. Just pick the one that is currently having the best sales. Check with you car insurnace carrier and your credit card company to see what coverage you already have. Often credit cards pick up the CDW risk when you rent a car with the credit card. Otherwise, youwill ahve to decide whether to get the collision damage waiver coverage. This covers the deductable on your insurance or other non-covered losses that may occur. I usually do nto get it, it is very expensive.

The rental car people will push hard for you to buy their insurance, CDW, upgrade to a bigger car, rent a Garmin etc. KNow what coverage you have before you go so that you can resist their push. I do nto understnad why one person would want to pay more for a bigger car. There is no real advantage. I would not bother with a Garmin unless you will be doing a lot of driving other than just to Ann Arbor. That is an incredibly easy drive. The airport exits directly to the I-94 and I-94 goes right into Ann Arbor. All you need to know is which exit to take and where to go from there.

Driving in Downtown Ann abror is not fun. THere are loads of one way steets, some two way streets suddenly become one way, and there are students walking out in front ofcars without looking evrywhere you go. It can be stressful if you are unaccustomed. If you are going somewhere downtown, I suggest that you park as soona s possible and walk. Downtown Ann Arbor is a great walking City. If you need directions, just ask. Be careful though, some college students think that it is funny to give someone bad directions. Ask adults if possible.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
Default Try Orbitz for car rental

orbitz.com

Enter the dates and times that you will pick up and return the car and you'll get a one-stop comparison of prices, by vehicle type, from the cheapest POS to a luxury vehicle.

Note, though, that the lower-priced places like Budget and Dollar, likely will have longer lines. I've been renting mostly from Hertz and Avis lately. Depending on what time your interview is the next day, and how many hours it takes you to fly to DTW, you may not want to spend a lot of time standing in line.

And yes, ask your insurance agent about your coverage for rental cars. That, and the credit card that you use, often will offer some protection. Even with full coverage and my AMEX Gold Card, they still try their hardest to get me to take the insurance. A polite "No, thanks" usually works. My agent said that he'd love to be able to sell insurance at the rates that these rental car companies charge.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,219 times
carhiredetective.com for the cheapest car rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan