Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times

Advertisements

Jim, you're not being nasty at all - just presenting the sobering facts in a realistic manner - none of the sensational apocalyptic talk and ridiculous belief that once you step on the other side of the MI border that angels will start singing from heaven and throw Benjamins at you.

Life is tough at times and MI is in a tough stretch, but not fatal by any means. Good luck to you and all looking to make their lives and MI better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM

29 posts, read 114,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I have to agree with this post... I think a lot of the negativity is generated by the press. They stir the pot...

All my family lives in Michigan and they are doing great. All have good jobs, none have lost homes, etc. Personally I know a lot of people in Michigan even beyond my family and none have lost their jobs, none have lost their homes...not even close.

Guess you guys are pretty lucky! Everyone I know have lost their jobs and have been out of work for a couple of years. My husband lost his job a year ago and I've been out of work for 6 months.

We were not in the auto industry at all-but that doesn't mean other companies are not cutting back. My company let me go and hired in someone with less pay. We both have college degrees so that's not making a difference either.

Guess it's all a luck of the draw wheather you get cut or not! but I don't see things getting any better around here just worse.

So good luck to you if you have a job and wish the rest of us luck to get new ones so we can keep our homes and take care of the family.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
Default Here's how I dealt with the MI economy...

I'm moving to Texas. I took a job in the Dallas area and am relocating my family. It's heart breaking and we're leaving many friends and family behind. Only time will tell if I pulled the trigger to soon but life is full of calculated risks. I had a good job that paid in the upper 80s in a non auto related industry (in IT mid management at a larg company). Looking ahead 1-3 years I didn't see this lasting as reorginization, outsourcing, and consolidation we're all well under way. Had I been displaced it would have taken a long time to replace this income and I didn't want to burn through savings so I decided to test the waters and some old contacts and apply for the job in Dallas. Part of my decision was based on perceived opportunities for my children as well. Where will they go and what will they do after HS? I see less opportunity in MI than in TX. The Dallas area has a very diverse economy. I think the MI economy has a ways to go before it bottoms out and hopefully will diversify as well. (FWIW - The Jeff Daniels "do business in MI" commercials are played in Dallas on the Radio). The weather was also a factor. Moderate winters we're seen to outweigh the hot summers. One thing that did really suprise me in the process is our house sold in 14 days (Southern Monroe County). It was appraised at about 235K when I refinanced 4 years ago. We listed it for 229K and sold it for 223K. We had put about 10K in upgrades in the house and left all our appliances to sweeten the pot.

Anyhow that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I hope MI makes a turn around but I beleive it will get a little worse before it gets better. I personally wasn't willing to stick around and hope for the best and decided to make the move once the job was offered to me. If I made the wrong decision, I'll be the first to admit it, but what the heck - life should have a little adenture in it.

Best regards from Texas,

Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 25,396 times
sounds like everyone on this post has the same fears that I do!! I am scared that the economy will not turn around in the next ten years or so!! My husband is in the construction trades and well he is barely hanging on to a job! In three years or so we would like to start a family, but not sure if we can here!

I love MI and dont really want to leave, but we may have to!! We are thinking about going to Colorado, but no green grass there or lakes

Come on Michigan turn it around so maybe we can come back in a few years to a better economy and so we can be close to family!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Yes Michigan, turn it around for the fair weather fans who have left the State so they can come back someday. Forget about these same people starting a cutting edge business so that maybe they can help propel things forward. Someone else do the heavy lifting so we can return and mooch off of you. And please, we will only come back for full health insurance benefits and a nice big fat pension.

As for me, I golfed 18 holes at the Ravines in Saugatuck today with friends. Didn't shoot that great (51/51), but man oh man, some of the most spectacular Michigan Summer weather you could possibly dream of.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Default We're dealing just fine with the economy along with most everyone else

We ate some great food at Amani's in Dearborn and walked around the museum area. We weren't raped or robbed and we didn't get trampled by people trying to leave the state. But perhaps I WAS killed and am now a delusional ghost.

People were actually smiling and enjoying the great weather! It was an absolutely gorgeous day here in the southeast also, Mag.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,636 times
yep enjoy while you can, the weather will be crap soon enough. just wait till nov. it plain sucks

Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 PM

146 posts, read 640,999 times
'Dog on' is right.
The bitterness just oozes out of your posts.
Oh well, our loss is Florida's gain.
Soon, the Michigan forum will be nothing
but a distant memory to you.

Last edited by Wabbit; 06-23-2007 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 61,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Are they driving thru Detroit? If so, well....duh!

I do see closed businesses and homes for sale everywhere. No one said Michigan is a Utopia or that times aren't tough. But, at least here in Oakland county, the level of closed businesses has so far looked no different than the amount I saw in California before I moved. Can't tell me not to believe my own experience, or my own eyes. Sorry!
I live in Royal Oak, too - if you're not seeing businesses shutting down, I don't know where you're looking but it's not downtown Royal Oak. It's a great city, but before long, the tax base is going to be too crazy to live with. The city planners are really doing a rotten job of keeping this a community that everyone can enjoy.

One cannot ignore "The City Next Door" and live in the fantasy world that just because Detroit is dying - and it is - that it will never effect the rest of the state - because it has, and it will continue to.

For the rose colored glasses folks, read some of the statistics. Your small corner of the world might be very comfortable (mine is, certainly) but if those of us who are doing a-ok think that the rest of the state is never going to affect our lifestyle, then those glasses aren't just rose colored, they're total black outs.

http://www.milmi.org/

Nearly seven percent unemployment - and unemployment doesn't count people who don't have jobs, just those collecting benefits - that doesn't address those who don't have any further benefits due or the millions on welfare.

Michigan payroll jobs - down 56,000 over the last year.

Consumer prices up 1.6%.

Employment in nonfarm jobs in metropolitan areas - down, down, down.

I'm looking for a house to rent and wondered if there was going to be something available for the next two years that I could live with. In looking around, what I found again and again was that there are tons of houses available in Royal Oak - that struck me as odd so I began asking the realtors I spoke to why there were so many rentals available. Answer? Because people cannot afford to keep their homes but they cannot sell them, either, so they've had to find other places to live and now are renting out the overpriced homes they could once afford.

Housing, and many other attributes of the cost of living in this area have been artitifcically inflated due to overpaid Union/auto jobs over the past 40 years.

Yes, my job is not going anywhere. I'm a critical shortage area teacher in Detroit and I'll be employed until I choose not to be, but anyone who cannot see beyond their own situation to the blinding poverty and the deep problems with employment, housing, cost of living, etc., definitely has blinders on.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman35 View Post
I feel bad for all you folks in Michigan dealing with these tough times ahead. I have alot of loved ones from Michigan. I left 4 yrs ago, and now live in Arizona. Economy, Real-estate, job market are all prettty strong in AZ. What happend to my state? Other then the beloved Tigers, Redwings & Pistons its really depressing. I have heard so much about the tanking real estate market, factories closing, layoffs etc. I feel for all of you struggling, and just wonder how the afflicted are working through the tough times for a better tommorow. By the sound of things it will get worse before it gets better....I just wonder what it will take to turn Michigan around. God bless you Michiganders!
It is getting worse here.My husband retired 2 years ago and now they are taking part of our health care and maybe our pension as well.We may loose everything we have worked for.as we based our retirement on the amount we were promised.We are delphi retires.Waiting on new agreement to come out after the vote,the union we upheld is letting us down.Maybe movint to tn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan