Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,674 times

Advertisements

I am from Ohio and I know nothing about the weather in Michigan. My boyfriend is the in US Coast Guards and currently residing in Charlevoix. I want to know if anybody knows how is the weather up there if I'm planning to visit him between March 18th till the 23rd. I also want to know if it is smarter to just buy a plane ticket or drive (take note it is an 8 hr drive)Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
The weather in Michigan in mid-March, especially that far north, is probably still going to be pretty wintry. Maybe not with huge amounts of snow still falling, but there will likely be snow on the ground and the air temps will still be chilly. There is always a chance that we could have one of those weird weather patterns that come along once in a while and it could be in the fifties or something, but I wouldn't count on it. We live in the extreme SE corner of the state, and we have gotten inches of snow in the last week of March in the past. It's maybe not the norm, but it happens. Definitely pack warm, winter clothes, but also check the forecast ahead of time, and dress accordingly in the event of a rare early warm streak. Since Charlevoix is on the lake, that will also keep things cooler than somewhere inland.

As far as driving or flying, I guess it depends on how much you would mind if you were driving and it began snowing and the roads became slick, because it could happen. You'll have to weigh things like expense, time, etc. to decide what to do there. I am cheap, so I would probably drive and just be extra careful in the event of winter weather, but I have driven in it all of my life.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:51 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
My birthday is at the end of March and it has been snowy more times than not on my b-day. And I grew up near Flint (so further south and on the east side of the state).
The last few years it has snowed around Easter (which was in April this year).

You practically guaranteed to either deal with snow or a cold rain at that point of the year.

I'd also probably just drive and be careful. I drove home for Easter last year and dealt with more snow then than I did at Christmas.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
March is not a nice month here. Its still cold, but the beauty of winter is starting to melt away by then. Its a very slushy then. Its a good time of year to go to one of the indoor waterparks in that area, like say great wolf lodge. As far as flying, I wouldnt because tickets will be higher flying into that area of Michigan.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:19 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Not too mention there is no airport in Charlevioux and would have to fly to Traverse City and drive there.

My birthday is April and we got 13" on my birthday back in 1999.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 AM

87 posts, read 255,116 times
I was up in Petoskey for easter last year and it was cold. 17 at night and only about 30 during the day, and this was the first week of April. There was still a decent amount of snow on the ground. Here in Lansing, we had already had days in the 60s and the snow had been gone for quite awhile, so its a bit colder there even compared to mid-michigan.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM

271 posts, read 665,048 times
March is usually still very cold and snowy, and sometimes the snow starts to melt but sometimes not. Up here I still see occassional flurries and sleet in May.

Just treat March in northern Michigan as your full blown winter in Ohio.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Hi Maclemente,

We just moved to Boyne City (on lake charlevoix) from Charlevoix. We lived there 7yrs. Michigan weather in March is a real crap shoot (no pun). You can have a week of warm weather and suddenly have 3 blizzards back-to-back the next week. It's that unpredictable and unstable. The nicest part of March is that typically you wont have the subzero weather for weeks on end, nor does the snow last for long. If you have to dig yourself out now and then in March you can console yourself with the thought that there is light at the end of the winter tunnel by time mid-March is at hand. Just dont expect balmy weather and you wont be disappointed.

Do you like wind? Charlevoix is very, very windy in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan