Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,323,189 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to start a parallel thread entitled, "How Many People Left Michigan in Search of Greener Pastures and Ended Up Coming Back?" That would be us, for one. I sympathize with people who can't find work in Michigan right now, but PLEASE...make sure that the state that you have set your sights on actually does have jobs before you get there. We recently relocated to the SW, to a state that many people on this forum seem to idolize from afar. Job situation there? Great, if you want to be in line behind a hundred other people who want the same job or if you are willing to make $8/hr. Oh, and if you want to hear the people who are locals in that location on this forum and elsewhere beefing about people coming from places like Michigan when "there aren't enough jobs for the people who already live here".

Maybe we are the exception to the rule, but after my dh lost the job that we moved out there for a couple of months after we went due to downsizing (it might have been nice if he had been given a heads up that the company was planning to downsize BEFORE we moved all of our stuff, but oh well...)and I couldn't find anything there, we came back to Michigan and immediately found employment, and decent paying employment at that. I guess every situation is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM

864 posts, read 1,723,280 times
Well, most places will suck if you don't have a job. I find southern NM nice but if I had no employment prospects here I'd be moving to wherever they were. Unfortunately, a lot of the places where there are jobs I would prefer not to live. Most employment is in high density urban areas and I'd much rather be in a more rural area.

If I lost my job here though, I doubt I'd just by default move back to MI. There are other states with more opportunity at the moment.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Well, most places will suck if you don't have a job. I find southern NM nice but if I had no employment prospects here I'd be moving to wherever they were. Unfortunately, a lot of the places where there are jobs I would prefer not to live. Most employment is in high density urban areas and I'd much rather be in a more rural area.

If I lost my job here though, I doubt I'd just by default move back to MI. There are other states with more opportunity at the moment.

Probably so, but we were blessed enough to find our opportunity right back here in Michigan. God willing, we will never leave again!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
It would be interesting to start a parallel thread entitled, "How Many People Left Michigan in Search of Greener Pastures and Ended Up Coming Back?" That would be us, for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
[/b]

Probably so, but we were blessed enough to find our opportunity right back here in Michigan. God willing, we will never leave again!
That would be us also. I left back in 1987 with the thought that Michigan was a good place to visit, but it sure sucked living here. Well, life has a way of changing things around. I got married to my dream girl, and when we came back to where I was born and raised she fell in love with the area. I remember driving down the main drag toward Lake Michigan and having her turn and ask why we didn't move back here to start a family and what would it take to get me to come back to the area. My response (and I get reminded of this on a regular basis now) was that wild horses couldn't drag me back to this dump. Couple years, kids of our own; and attitudes changed. Now I couldn't be selfish and the more we wanted to get out of the Northeast, the more we looked around, the more Michigan made sense. Good schools, the Lakes, for us- good paying jobs, and more opportunities than any place else in the US. As hard as that is for people to grasp, after looking at every state and every place we wanted, Michigan was the best for us. Still is, and now I cannot fathom ever leaving again. I no longer feel restless, I'm where I am supposed to be in this World. Surrounded by Great Lakes, dunes, real friendly people, decent jobs, good housing prices, great fishing, and everything else I wanted and didn't want to admit I already had at one time.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That would be us also. I left back in 1987 with the thought that Michigan was a good place to visit, but it sure sucked living here. Well, life has a way of changing things around. I got married to my dream girl, and when we came back to where I was born and raised she fell in love with the area. I remember driving down the main drag toward Lake Michigan and having her turn and ask why we didn't move back here to start a family and what would it take to get me to come back to the area. My response (and I get reminded of this on a regular basis now) was that wild horses couldn't drag me back to this dump. Couple years, kids of our own; and attitudes changed. Now I couldn't be selfish and the more we wanted to get out of the Northeast, the more we looked around, the more Michigan made sense. Good schools, the Lakes, for us- good paying jobs, and more opportunities than any place else in the US. As hard as that is for people to grasp, after looking at every state and every place we wanted, Michigan was the best for us. Still is, and now I cannot fathom ever leaving again. I no longer feel restless, I'm where I am supposed to be in this World. Surrounded by Great Lakes, dunes, real friendly people, decent jobs, good housing prices, great fishing, and everything else I wanted and didn't want to admit I already had at one time.

Yep. You summed up how I feel exactly. Sometimes you have to go somewhere else to appreciate what you have at home, KWIM? I think that's especially true when you live somewhere where that people are continuously bashing for whatever reason.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM

189 posts, read 522,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That would be us also.
I'm on the list as well.

Left. Came back. Left again.

Can't seem to get the Michigan out of my blood, no matter how much I try.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Michigan is gorgeous and, with the exception of Florida, the only state that is surrounded on three sides by beautiful, expansive bodies of water--without the risk of hurricanes! The summers are temperate, the winters offer skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and just cuddling by the fireplace, and the falls are...magnificent!!! No wonder you can't get our fantastic state out of your blood.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM

137 posts, read 332,063 times
Perfect. Now we all have to do is have the people in this state wake up and vote for a governor with a business attitude instead of a liberal attorney who dreams of taxes and blames her predecessors. I want to stay here and enjoy the virtues of this state like everyone else, but, without a career or any future opps, what the sense? Something like "Blown Away".

Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,104,858 times
Re:

Moving back to Michigan.

We're planning a trip to the U.P. next summer and I'm VERY afraid that I won't be able to get my wife on the plane back to AZ.

Driving around SE MI the first time with her....she just gazed out of the car window the whole time marveling about all of the water, the greenery, and how beautiful the weather was.

I laughed at her, explaining that when we come back in 6 months for Christmas, she'll have a different opinion.

So, we went back for Christmas.

Cold, snowed half of the time that we were there, and all of the trees looked dead. And we never saw the sun.

I could not get her to come in the house.

Makin' snowmen with all of the kids, sledding, and then I decided to give her the experience of driving in that white stuff.

She thought it was fun.

Puts a little different perspective on things, eh?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Re:

Moving back to Michigan.

We're planning a trip to the U.P. next summer and I'm VERY afraid that I won't be able to get my wife on the plane back to AZ.

Driving around SE MI the first time with her....she just gazed out of the car window the whole time marveling about all of the water, the greenery, and how beautiful the weather was.
you are so screwed when she see's the UP then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: