Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 AM

16 posts, read 30,564 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how the people living in Michigan compare to other states and to Europeans especially. I suppose they are more conservative comparing for example to NYC? I'm from Finland moving to Lake Orion area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinke View Post
I would like to know how the people living in Michigan compare to other states and to Europeans especially. I suppose they are more conservative comparing for example to NYC? I'm from Finland moving to Lake Orion area.
You are moving to the wrong place. Come on up to Upper Michigan. We have more Findlanders than anywhere outside Helsinki. Nostly in the western section.... That said , the largest group , ethnic wise here in all of Michigan is German.....Over all Michigan is Liberal in nature, and nature is what we are all about.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM

358 posts, read 1,064,576 times
There are people from every ethnic group on the planet in Michigan. This is a state built by immigrants from everywhere. So there are a lot of differences between people. If you are used to an area where most people are somewhat similar, you will be in for a shock.

I would say Michiganders are usually more relaxed than Europeans, less likely to tell other people what to do. However, there are more people doing crazy things that sometimes are not good for themselves or other people. There are fewer legal rules to follow, and fewer cultural rules. But there are some rules.

The people I know in Europe have more time to get together with other people and do things. In Michigan it is harder to find groups of friends to have fun with, you have to do organized events, like sports or other organized activities. People in Michigan and the USA spend more time working than in Europe.

I'm not sure what you mean by conservative, different people use that word for different things. I don't think the usual meaning of the word is helpful for a European trying to understand Americans. The differences are extensive, and hard to describe with words.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 AM

45 posts, read 95,962 times
Quote:
Wow, Finland to Lake Orion! If you get "homesick" check out the Detroit Finnish Cooperative Summer Camp in Wixom. Not too far of a drive from L. Orion.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
There are people from every ethnic group on the planet in Michigan. This is a state built by immigrants from everywhere. So there are a lot of differences between people. If you are used to an area where most people are somewhat similar, you will be in for a shock.

I would say Michiganders are usually more relaxed than Europeans, less likely to tell other people what to do. However, there are more people doing crazy things that sometimes are not good for themselves or other people. There are fewer legal rules to follow, and fewer cultural rules. But there are some rules.

The people I know in Europe have more time to get together with other people and do things. In Michigan it is harder to find groups of friends to have fun with, you have to do organized events, like sports or other organized activities. People in Michigan and the USA spend more time working than in Europe.

I'm not sure what you mean by conservative, different people use that word for different things. I don't think the usual meaning of the word is helpful for a European trying to understand Americans. The differences are extensive, and hard to describe with words.
That IS a good point.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM

16 posts, read 30,564 times
I'm sure I have no problems finding good ways to spend my free time. The UP indeed seems quite spectacular, kinda resembles Finland but even better. As a keen fisherman I'm sure there's plenty of places to go.

Do people make real friends at work? I'm going to work for a German engineering company which should help having so many others like myself there.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM

358 posts, read 1,064,576 times
Probably the best way to make friends is by finding people you share a hobby with. Fishing is a good choice, start asking people about what kind of fish you can catch, and the fishermen will talk your ear off, and will help you get started.

I recommend that you tell a fisherman that you heard that there are some great steelhead in the AuSable River, and how are people catching them?

and that someone told you there is a great walleye run in Port Huron, when does that happen?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,827,549 times
Quote:

A previous poster claimed that Michigan is a liberal place. I think this is misleading at best, and if you are from Europe you will most definately think Michigan is conservative. Michigan compared to the other states would be considered a moderate state, in fact during most elections this state ends up being called a "swing state" Overall democrats do a little better because of union loyalties, however when it comes to social issues Michigan is quite conservative. For example this state overwhelmingly voted to support changing our constitution in order to prevent gay marriage from ever being legal here. THis state is also very much pro gun and pro hunting. If you look at true liberal states in this nation (like New York or Massachusetts) Michigan is very conservative in spite of some of the union democrats that get elected here. Politically Michigan is kind of a contradiciton, UAW union members vote in democrats, then turn around get in thier gas guzzling trucks, go deer hunting and complain about all the welfare in Detroit. Many of them never put it together that the politicians that thier union told them to vote for supported the welfare programs, and anti hunting and anti gun laws they all cant stand. Politically this is kind of a strange state and its hard to figure out. No one from the east coast who knows this state would ever say we were truly liberal. I know Finland is alot more liberal than the US in general, and I am sure you will consider us to be very conservative. I think you will also find the people here to be open, welcoming and friendly. Im sure you will also find those that are quite curious about your Finnish background, as not too many people from that part of the world move here. (although the western UP has an area where people of Finnish ancestory settled in the 1800s)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,007,302 times
It's not hard to figure out. Detroit is democrat and Michigan is republican. Detroit accounts for about half of Michigan's population which makes Michigan a swing state.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,971,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Detroit accounts for about half of Michigan's population
How? Detroit has somewhere between 800,000-900,000 people, and Michigan has roughly 10,000,000. I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan