Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,516,713 times

Advertisements

So after reading the MI. board for awhile I realize because of the poor economy that a lot of people and business are going leave the state? OK so for a while Michigan is in the dumper and the state empties out.
So let assume Michigan is not going to get hit by a asteroid and till will be there.......let say a decade from now. Let also assume that Michigan will start making a economic recovery at about the same time. My question for those who are going to stay I MI. is:
What type of people and/or businesses do you think will best help Michigan THRIVE again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,455,775 times
For the longest time, CA, the Northeast, and Chicago to some degree attracted the "brightest and best." Now in the past decade, it's been increasing difficult for this creative class to survive in these regions unless they happened to work for a company like Google. In my field, universities like Stanford, MIT and NYU have been placed in a unique position of being victims of this success. Schools such as these are having an increasingly difficult time attracting faculty who know they cannot afford to live anywhere near the school and can have a much higher standard of living elsewhere at a school with just as high of a reputation - Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, UNC, UMich, Wisconsin, etc.

MI does not have to compete with these regions head-on, but should be competing with places like North Carolina, Tennessee, Minnesota, etc. to attract those who want to get out for various reasons. Places like Philadelphia and Portland have made great strides by doing this in the 90s. MI should spend the next several years figuring out ways to make the 2010s the decade of drawing these type of people.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM

106 posts, read 536,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So after reading the MI. board for awhile I realize because of the poor economy that a lot of people and business are going leave the state? OK so for a while Michigan is in the dumper and the state empties out.
So let assume Michigan is not going to get hit by a asteroid and till will be there.......let say a decade from now. Let also assume that Michigan will start making a economic recovery at about the same time. My question for those who are going to stay I MI. is:
What type of people and/or businesses do you think will best help Michigan THRIVE again?
Non-Union people, lol.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
They need entrepreneurial types, resourceful root-hog-and-die businesspeople. People who can look at our blasted wasteland of empty welding shops and assembly plants and say, with an acquisitive gleam, "I know what we can do to turn this around!"

In short, we need a whole city full of Ron Popeils.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
We need to focus on industries that are not being overtaken by countries with lower standards of living, can eagerly accept lower wages and generally invite outsourcing. Medical research is an excellent one -- we do some of the best in the world, and if you're looking for good investment opportunities you need to look right away at U.S. pharmaceutical companies. Detroit has some world-class hospital facilities, too, like Mott Children's Hospital. Surely we can capitalize better on those, attracting more talent, training more students and encouraging more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: