Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:24 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Quite a few praying mantis this year in the Ludington area. Didn't see a walking stick this year, but usually see a couple during the course of a typical Summer.
My son found a walking stick this year. First one I have seen in years. No praying mantis this year though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I've been tromping around the Michigan woods for a long, long time. I've never run across a Missasauga Rattler. I've seen them in captivity, and notice that you'd pretty much have to go kicking the thing around for it to strike. Picking one up in the garden would not be a recommended practice.

Never seen a Black Widow spider, and my understanding is that the Brown Recluse is very rare here. I believe someone else mentioned that there was one confirmed sighting, and that essentially concurs with what my understanding is. I have known guys that will claim that every brown spider around is a Brown Recluse, though.

Not sayin' they aren't out there, but I think you'd have to go looking. Not something you have to particularly worry about. The Black Flies will give you more trouble.
I can recall the day I became frightened of snakes. That was the day I nearly stepped onto 4 massassauga's next to a creek up near Mackinaw City. Ugh. One was recently transported out of Charlevoix a few years back. Where there is one, there are more. You just dont see them because they are very reclusive and well camo'd. My friend nearly died from a bite at Kensington park. If you want to see rattlers head over to Independance Oaks just north of Clarkston.

Black widows....killed one when backpacking on the High Country Pathway north of Gaylord in the summer of '92.

Stuff is out there

Old 11-23-2009, 04:07 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I can recall the day I became frightened of snakes. That was the day I nearly stepped onto 4 massassauga's next to a creek up near Mackinaw City. Ugh. One was recently transported out of Charlevoix a few years back. Where there is one, there are more. You just dont see them because they are very reclusive and well camo'd. My friend nearly died from a bite at Kensington park. If you want to see rattlers head over to Independance Oaks just north of Clarkston.

Black widows....killed one when backpacking on the High Country Pathway north of Gaylord in the summer of '92.

Stuff is out there
I did say that. It's just that they are not at all common to see. Not like seeing Eastern Diamondbacks in Tennessee or Westerns in Texas. You are right, they are very reclusive and not very aggressive with people. The spiders-- seeing one Black Widow almost twenty years ago, well that's not particularly common either, is it? And I never said that you'd never see a Brown Recluse, I said they weren't native, which they aren't.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,522 times
Omg, what about moth flies?

Here is what they look like.
http://entoplp.okstate.edu/ddd/Images/mothfly.jpg (CLICK THE LINK IF YOU DARE)

They are type of house fly, and they are EVERYWHERE!!

Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post

That's cool! Where do you see those? Are they big?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post

What a beautiful moth

Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I did say that. It's just that they are not at all common to see. Not like seeing Eastern Diamondbacks in Tennessee or Westerns in Texas. You are right, they are very reclusive and not very aggressive with people. The spiders-- seeing one Black Widow almost twenty years ago, well that's not particularly common either, is it? And I never said that you'd never see a Brown Recluse, I said they weren't native, which they aren't.
I never meant to refute you. Was just adding to the conversation

Old 11-23-2009, 05:25 PM

The most problems with critters I've ever had (esp. when backpacking) has been with black bears up north. When they get educated to humans, they can get tricky. The hardest part is keeping your food away from them.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,522 times
Quote:
That's cool! Where do you see those? Are they big?
They reside in my house, my cousin who lives on the other side of town have them as well. They are about to size of a regular house fly.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The most problems with critters I've ever had (esp. when backpacking) has been with black bears up north. When they get educated to humans, they can get tricky. The hardest part is keeping your food away from them.
And the herd of racoons that dig at the side of your tent at first light. Backpacking solo is an adventure in northern Michigan. Hey, good to see another backpacker here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan