Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Bugs, mosquitoes! I now live in Alaska, but lived in Northern MI for over 45 years. Michigan has many more mosquitoes then Alaska could dream of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
I live in SW MI. We have lots of mosquitos.. this summer was one of the worse so far...
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Mosquitos are the only things that seem to be really bad at times. I'd invest in a mosquito spraying service. We did this year and loved it!
Sorry, but I laugh every time I hear this.

I thought the same as well... until I spent years in Northern Maine. Honestly haven't even bought a bottle of bug spray the last 2 summers back in Michigan. I don't even notice them here there are so few compared to there.

We have bugs of course, but compared to other places I have lived (Texas and Maine), this is almost a bug-free zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM

78 posts, read 243,000 times
The worst mosquitoes I've experienced were on the eastern shore of Virginia (Wallops Island area). I looked up at a light on the side of a building and it literally looked look a snow storm. Unbelievable.

>> We have bugs of course, but compared to other places
>> I have lived (Texas and Maine), this is almost a bug-free zone.

Compared to here in Florida that is a true statement. I once watched a huge spider fend off an attacking bird here in Florida. Simply being able to sit on the grass like you can in Michigan would be nice.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM

271 posts, read 665,125 times
Worst I know of is wood spiders (that's what I was told they were called) that are 3" to 4" across at the legs. I grew up with these in the house. They run and jump and click their feet when they move. Jump out at you from under the fridge or from behind the toilet at night. Another one jumped out from a sock in the laundry basket, chomping on a fly. They're predators, they don't passively catch food by spinning webs.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
You are most likely to encounter mosquitoes. Mosquitoes will keep you indoors between 7 and 9 p.m. (exact times vary). IN places they come in big gray clouds. Other places, they are not too bad. Except during the witching hour, you cna keep them away with DEET based bug spray. Those new little fan things that you wear on yur belt seem to work pretty well if it is not windy.

Probably the next most annoying bug are Yellow Jackets (wasps) that appear in force in the fall. You will learn to dispose of food, espceially sweet foods carefully so you do nto attract them. The traps work great and cna help keep the populations down if you put them out early enough to get the queens.

The Orange lady bugs supposedly will bite, but I have never encountered anyone who was actually bitten by one. They are nowhere near as bad as they were about three years ago. They seem fairly rare now. We used to find thousands of them in the window sills, light fixtures, pretty much everywhere. I have no seen one ina the past two years. Not sure why.

Brown Recluse spiders are really not a Michigan issue:

"Because the brown recluse cannot live in temperatures below 40°F, Michigan is not high on its list of vacation hotspots. In fact, the brown recluse is extremely rare in Michigan, having been documented here only once. In this case the spiders were found in a heated building and were probably introduced in materials shipped from the southern United States."

Black Widow spiders are fairly common, but mud wasps eat them and keep the populations down. THey will bite you if you squish them and the bite is like a bee sting. It is only dangerous if you are allergic to them.

Fish flys are really messy and get into everything as do little tiny bugs that we call No see ums. (Probably the wrong name for whatever these are) They swarm in clouds along the road and if you ride a bike into a swarm it is pretty icky.

Horse Flies, deer flies and black flies can be really awful in some areas. We do not get them where we live, but in places, they are really horrible, especially int he late spring/early summer.

Lots of ants, normal spiders, crickets, and misc bugs, but we have encounterest nothing to really bother you except discussed above.

Good bugs include LIghtening bugs by the thousands (really cool in wooded areas). Crickets (sound pretty at night), Praying Mantis, Walking sticks, and leaf bugs. Butterflies and moths are beautiful for part of the year.

June bugs feed your cat for you for a week or two in the spring.

Fleas do nto seem to be a very significant problem. At elast not like they were in California. Roaches of course exist everywhere.

No scorpions. No tarantulas (except as pets).

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Did anyone mention ticks? Not as bad as some more southern places or the pararie (why can't i ever spell that?) states but you'll run into bad spots. Dog ticks you can feel and see and aren't as dangerous as deer ticks which are both teeny tiny and can carry Lyme Disease.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM

78 posts, read 243,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Worst I know of is wood spiders (that's what I was told they were called) that are 3" to 4" across at the legs. I grew up with these in the house. They run and jump and click their feet when they move. Jump out at you from under the fridge or from behind the toilet at night. Another one jumped out from a sock in the laundry basket, chomping on a fly. They're predators, they don't passively catch food by spinning webs.

Yup, those are the ones. I had one in a stack of wrapped firewood I bought at Publix. I chased it around the garage with a broom. It actually made a sound when it ran on the wall. Never had a big one "in" the house. I had a small one (1.5 inches across maybe) in the bedroom that ran into my wife's closet. Never saw him again (yet).

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
I have not seen ticks here (but have seen chiggers). However my sister and my brother both got Lymes disease at different times from being bitten by ticks one while visiting Main and the other while visting California. It is a horrible disease.

However I do nto think that deer ticks are that small. You certainly could see the one that bit my sister. She took a pitcure of it. Ick.

Chiggers are almost impossible to see they are so tiny, but then they do not hurt when they bite you.

All of them (ticks and chiggers) generally come from trees. If you walk in or sit under trees, have soneone check you over carefully for ticks.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
Besides your typical house spider every once in awhile, what are the spiders, bugs and critters situation there in Michigan? With more emphasis and focus on suburban subdivisions, not out in the woods or boondies. PLEASE DON'T POST ANY PICTURES. Thank you.
Nothing is poisonous there. Snakes are able to be picked up. Spiders and such are pretty harmless. Lots mosquitos. Crickets and such. Nothing to be overly concerned about.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Nothing is poisonous there. Snakes are able to be picked up. Spiders and such are pretty harmless. Lots mosquitos. Crickets and such. Nothing to be overly concerned about.
Au contraire.

MI has rattlesnakes. The Massassauga (sic?) is the only species in Michigan but can pack a helluva bite. Pretty much located only in the southern half of the LP but they are around.

My old neighbor picked one up in his garden to show his kids. He was out of the hospital 3 days later. Glad the kids didn't get to see it....

My granny would call me in late spring from the U.P. to inform me of the Mayfly hatch. While quite messy, a great opportunity for those who like to fly fish.

I can't count how many times I've been stung by yellowjackets. I seem to have a knack for stumbling upon their "in ground" nests.

I seem to attract deer flies and horse flies too. DEET works well against them and mosquitoes.

It's a good idea to do a "tick check" after hangin' in the woods all day. Light colored clothing makes it easier to spot 'em. I found one attached to the back of my ear once. Yikes.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yeah the Massasauga Rattler has a heck of a punch if you get tangled up with one. I have seen 2 in the Ludington area. We also have Brown recluse and Black Widow spiders. All of which I would be concerned about if in close contact with them. All of which I do keep an eye open for when poking through the woods. Nothing to get all bunched up about, but they are there, so you do have to be aware that the possibility to run across them does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan