Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,396 times

Advertisements

Allen Park has always been regarded as the "gem" of the downriver community. The one exception to the social and physical degradation consuming the other surrounding communities. This is all changing rapidly.

As a resident myself, I am simply disgusted with what I am seeing. Over the last six months my street has received the addition of two new WHITE TRASH families. And let me tell you, white trash is pejorative to complete filth.

Not even one night after moving into the house, one of the families towed in a COMPLETE hoop d and plopped it into their backyard. The car sits on two blocks because it is missing tires. A complete eyesore. They also continued to put a RECLINER - yes thats right, a recliner - on their front porch; accompanied with a nice decor of white lawn chairs. To make matters worse they have 5 kids who are extremely obnoxious.

I decided to investigate, as I was completely bewildered as to how such a family could afford to live in Allen Park. Come to find out: the house sold for $49,000 foreclosure!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but something has to change. The residents and city council seem to be shuddering a blind eye to the influx of pure trash coming into the city. I say raise taxes immensely. It may be hard in this economy, but for ****s sake the image of Allen Park depends on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Wow, you sound sort of like a Snob. Unfortunately you don't have true "snob" money to move away so you will just have to deal with it.

Try to befriend your new neighbors.. maybe you will be able to mention in casual small talk about the car on blocks attracting rodents etc and how much money they could get if they sold junk car to junk yard.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 9,396 times
Actually buddy I come from nothing but pure money. I have property in the pointes as well. The house I live in Allen Park was bought OUTRIGHT for $150,000.

You actually have it backwards. I spend time in Allen Park because I am down to earth. I hate the uppity attitude of oakland county.

Theres a difference between snobbery and expecting decency

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 AM

398 posts, read 1,039,524 times
Eric, while I sympathize, you have to face reality.

$150,000 is not a typical home price nowadays in Allen Park. $49,000 sounds like a much more realistic price.

Given that one can buy a house for under 50 grand, you're going to get lower working class folks.

If you want to be around the types of folks who don't display the behavior mentioned in your post, I would leave Allen Park and go somewhere more upper-middle class in nature.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I think it's generally spelled "hooptie," though as a slang word, it might not have a standardized spelling to begin with. I've read it comes from the old Cadillac Coupe deVille - the 'Coupe de' - which then got transliterated as "hooptie" or "hoopty."

Old 09-06-2009, 03:30 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
So, what you're saying is.......

....we should get rid of that washer and dryer sittin' on our front porch?

We honestly didn't think it would tick anyone off....

Shall we get rid of the Davenport too?

Guess I'd better pick up those beer cans......

Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
What's wrong with having a project car in your backyard? Sitting on the street in front of the house, sure that might be an eyesore. But in the back yard?
I don't get what's wrong with having a recliner on the front porch either. O quelle horreur! Do they sit in the recliner? Makes more sense to me than those stupid little fake antique/country decor Made In China faux wrought iron benches from WalMart or Home Despot that you see all over front porches in subdivisions that are just there for...what? Nobody ever sits on them.

Tablemtn - interesting! I used to have a 1972 Cadillac Sedan de Ville and never understood why my dad called it a hooptie.

YAZ hahaha. Eric probably wouldn't like the retaining wall in front of my house built out of vodka pint bottles or the classy planter made out of a 1950s pink toilet, either. But it's not too much of an eyesore really. The 1993 Plymouth Voyager van sitting on blocks at my curb hides it, mostly. And you can't see the van real clear because the grass is kinda long. But the long grass is OK; when my old man passes out drunk and don't make it to the front door after being at the bar he just plops hisself in the grass and ain't nobody sees him.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 AM

165 posts, read 512,337 times
I agree with you, I think a car on blocks does not belong in the yard for the neighbors to have to look at while they sit in their own manicured yard that;s what a garage is for. And as far as indoor furniture on the front pourch well another no no, i lived across from a house in Dearborn that put an old couch on the pourch i hated looking at that piece of s **t every time I opened my front door. They must of known it was an eye sore, one day I looked out and they were standing in front of my house having their pictures taken. Live like white trash on the inside if that is what you like but the neighbors should not have to look at the mess.
Debbie

Old 09-06-2009, 12:22 PM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times
just goes to show you, wealth classes should stick together. there is no tolerance between the classes.
white lawn chairs on the front porch is bad? i see that all the time....not necessarily recliners. yes, that would bug me. i can see why this irritates you, but on the other hand living near extremely 'neat' people who are great at making shallow small talk and are never 'themselves' can be irritating too. we have renters next to us who have trashed their house and yard. homeowners on the other side who have done the same, guess we just got used to it. hey our yard looks good though!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So, what you're saying is.......

....we should get rid of that washer and dryer sittin' on our front porch?

We honestly didn't think it would tick anyone off....

Shall we get rid of the Davenport too?

Guess I'd better pick up those beer cans......

Don't forget to return those milk crates that FoMoCo Pinto is resting on in the backyard...

Time to upgrade to REAL jack stands like my friends in Taylor did years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan