Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 AM

52 posts, read 292,446 times

Advertisements

We are still a family trying to get out of Mi before we become homeless. Don't want to leave, but it's been 10 months since my husband has been unemployed and still no job offer. Interview after interview, gas is too costly for all the running around for nothing, in some cases, 2-3 interviews and not even a letter or thanks but no thanks, this stinks. For the last 4 months We've been applying out of Mi, but only get responses saying "local only" or they ask how soon we plan to relocate(we tell them right away), or no response at all. I have not worked in 8 years(sahm), and it's very tough for me to find a job, I can't even get an interview. I'm getting frustrated and scared, we have 4 children, I don't want to end up homeless. We already sold our house, was about to purchase a new one, but my DH lost his job, so now we are renting a 3 bedroom apt, I'm sick of being cramped, the kids are use to more space. We need to secure employment before we move. Our savings is dry. Any tips on how to get a job outside of Michigan? Where else to look besides Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Newspapers online, etc?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,487 times
the best way is of course the job sites. Stay away from the well known ones like monster, dice etc. There are others that many people aren't aware of jobing.com, career builder.com. Check craigslist.com. If you can double click internet explorer and surf the web then you can find a job out of town. take the initiave and call a day after submitting a resume. You have to be hungry, becasue their is always someone more hungrier. I lined up 3 interviews over a two day period in Arizona and flew out, accepted one job, and move out here.
What kind of work does he do?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,979 times
If you have any relatives or friends living out of state in an area where you are seeking to move, you could ask them if it would be alright for you to use their address on the resume. This can help to make the resume more noticable, so recruiters will not dismiss your resume thinking that you are out of state.
I used this method when I moved out of MI and found it worked well.

You can always explain to potential employers that you are in the process of moving to that area, which also show initiative.

Also, you should stress that are are more than willing to relocate on your resume or cover letter.

Best of Luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Get a PO box in the area you want to move to. That way you have an adress within the state. Several people I know have gotten jobs after doing that.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
We are still a family trying to get out of Mi before we become homeless. Don't want to leave, but it's been 10 months since my husband has been unemployed and still no job offer. Interview after interview, gas is too costly for all the running around for nothing, in some cases, 2-3 interviews and not even a letter or thanks but no thanks, this stinks. For the last 4 months We've been applying out of Mi, but only get responses saying "local only" or they ask how soon we plan to relocate(we tell them right away), or no response at all. I have not worked in 8 years(sahm), and it's very tough for me to find a job, I can't even get an interview. I'm getting frustrated and scared, we have 4 children, I don't want to end up homeless. We already sold our house, was about to purchase a new one, but my DH lost his job, so now we are renting a 3 bedroom apt, I'm sick of being cramped, the kids are use to more space. We need to secure employment before we move. Our savings is dry. Any tips on how to get a job outside of Michigan? Where else to look besides Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Newspapers online, etc?
It depends a lot on what kind of jobs. If it's teaching jobs, the end of the school year isn't always the best time, if it's construction this is a bad time in many places.

I knew a guy -- but he was fresh out of high school so his situation was different -- who loaded up a trunk of a car with his friends and headed out, planning to keep going until they got jobs. When he got one, he got out his suitcase and waved his friends on.

Moving with 4 kids and no money would be very difficult, it seems that your spouse could go out on his own, find a job and then the rest move later.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM

850 posts, read 1,899,191 times
i feel bad for your situation.....it definitely sounds like you are running out of time. i would honestly pick the place you want to go and just go. if you have no $ to do that i would suggest even borrowing or cashing in your retirement. i know that's extreme but once you get established, etc you can reinvest. that's what i would do.....maybe it isn't possible but i had the same problem w/finding a job out of state. nobody would take me unless i lived there. unless you're a ceo or something i don't think too many companies are hip to this kind of thing, because they see it as an inconvenience. you're better off lying and acting like you already live there. maybe even pick the city you like best and rent a p.o. box??

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
Our savings is dry. Any tips on how to get a job outside of Michigan? Where else to look besides Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Newspapers online, etc?

Have you tried Manpower? Sometimes they have local jobs that will never be posted in the newspaper or careerbuilder.

Or something like Michigan Works to help find a job -- I've known people who got a job right away or within a week.

It might not be the job you want forever but it would be something to get you started, plus often the jobs posted are for temporary only -- which would at least be a quick fix.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,243 times
You might also want to try researching those states w/ low unemployment rates, and then looking for job listings sites for those individual states. I grew up in MI, but now live in ND. So for example, ND has very low unemployment, and the state's labor department/job service posts opening at ndjobs.com (http://www.ndjobs.com - broken link).
FWIW--

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,243 times
OOPS--sorry, it's Job Service North Dakota --backwards of what I think it ought to be.

Oh well.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Default Been in your shoes, know how you feel!

We picked where we were going, focused on that area. All our resumes indicated "relocating to XYZ withing 30 days at our own expense."

If you can send your hubby first, I recommend doing it. Several MI people have already done this as means to relocate.

As for your own job issue...

Set your resume up to reflect what you do as a stay at home mom: organize the schedule (soccer, shopping, naptimes, etc), balance the checkbook & budget monthly expenses (accts receivable /payable), communicate the schedule to family members, etc. Just because you've been a stay at home mom does not mean you haven't been performing quality "work" - so use that as an asset. Chances are slim you'll land something in MI right now, but you can use that to your advantage elsewhere. The biggest thing is settling on WHERE you're going and making sure that the potential employers KNOW you're a serious contender! They don't want to hire someone that is just throwing everything they've got and waiting to see what sticks. They want to consider someone that is serious about relocating (and knowing they are not paying that person to move) and willing to take to initiative to make to move fully knowing that everything isn't necessarily going to be lined up for them.

Best of luck to you!! And, just curious... what occupation is your husband looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan