Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM

31 posts, read 53,240 times

Advertisements

I am enquring about moving to Michigan from the UK. I currently live in Cambridge, England with my husband and golden labrador. I am 29 and my hubby is 33 and we are looking to move in the next 1-2years.

The reason we are looking into Michigan is I am a nurse and there is a recruitment company from the UK that has a contract with Michigan state in placing oversear nurses there.

I would love some information on the Michigan area from some real people and not a company that is trying to get me there to sort the nations nurse shortage. What is it like to live in?? Where is good areas - please bear in mind I am scottish and use to the British weather. My husband is Spanish so we would like to live somewhere slightly warmer and less wet than here!! We also like cold snowy winters.

My husband works in retal - is there many oppurtunities for him. I would love feedback - good and bad as I would like all the facts before we make this life changing decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM

413 posts, read 938,017 times
If you like cold snowy winters, you're in luck!

Seriously though, If you're looking for somewhere warmer and drier than the UK, Michigan isn't for you. There were days on end over the winter where it was -30C (or colder). This isn't typical, but it's not that unusual. It's usually between -10 and -15C (that's a high temperature, every day) in the coldest months (December - February). It rains a LOT, except in the summer, when it rains not at all.

Now, if you're willing to brave the winters, Michigan's a GORGEOUS state. I lived there 20something years. There's a TON of recreation, fishing, boating, hiking, skiing; lots of history.

Your best bet is to go near Grand Rapids, rather than Detroit. Grand Rapids seems to be more resistant to the economic issues that are affecting the rest of the state. There's also a booming medical industry in Grand Rapids.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM

183 posts, read 610,118 times
I suggest to use CD weather stats and compare different cities in MI. You can't make a blanket statement that it "never" rains in MI in the summer. Conditions vary throughout the state, depending how close you are to the Great Lakes, and from north to south, east to west. I've lived in MI all my life, in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and up near Cadillac. There were differences. I agree with the previous poster that Grand Rapids would be a good place to start as far as medical jobs. Your hubby might have better luck finding a job there too.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but i live in the northwestern part of Michigan. And we absolutely hands down love it here, regardless of the economic times. There are several hospitals in this area that i see in the paper needing nurses. We are right outside of Traverse City. Its a great place to live. Plenty to do, see and explore.
I wont lie, its tough finding jobs, but that is anywhere really. Like i said i've been checking the papers and i see alot looking for nursing.
Good luck to you in your move.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
If you like cold snowy winters, you're in luck!

Seriously though, If you're looking for somewhere warmer and drier than the UK, Michigan isn't for you. There were days on end over the winter where it was -30C (or colder). This isn't typical, but it's not that unusual. It's usually between -10 and -15C (that's a high temperature, every day) in the coldest months (December - February). It rains a LOT, except in the summer, when it rains not at all.
Actually in Dec-Feb it snow a lot, not rain. Here on the West side we got a lot of snow this winter and it was a bit on the cold side. But days on end at -30 is totally not true. We had a grand total of 1 day that it reached -20C or lower for an overnight low temp. Our low temp for last winter was -9F (-22C) and we had 3 or 4 days all winter it reached -0F at all last winter. Those are overnight lows, not daytime lows.

We do get rain during the summer. Rained last week here, and is supposed to rain this afternoon. Every once in a while we will go a couple of weeks withouot rain though.
Quote:
Now, if you're willing to brave the winters, Michigan's a GORGEOUS state. I lived there 20something years. There's a TON of recreation, fishing, boating, hiking, skiing; lots of history.

Your best bet is to go near Grand Rapids, rather than Detroit. Grand Rapids seems to be more resistant to the economic issues that are affecting the rest of the state. There's also a booming medical industry in Grand Rapids.
You are spot on target with this last bit. Absolutely agree 100%.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Neighbors of ours are from the UK, and they love the weather better here than back at home. They're not big fans of the long cloudy days in Feb. and Mar though (who is?).

Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM

31 posts, read 53,240 times
Thankyou all heeps for the advice, I will take it all on board. We are torn between Michigan & Boston so the advice really helps.

We are used to the long cloudy days in Feb/March - the UK is famous for them!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
one thing, boston will certainly be more expensive than michigan. makes sure you consider that when thinking of compensation and location. you might ask for names of some other nurses that have been placed by this recruiter. remember the recruitment company is trying to sell you, so they dont always have your best interest at heart. different situation, but i have a friend from the uk that was hired by a school in japan to teach english, now there, he is very unhappy at the conditions and management of the school. make sure you do some research on the hospital where you might be placed, despite ads for nurses, some hospitals are struggling and not financially sound. good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelCam View Post
Thankyou all heeps for the advice, I will take it all on board. We are torn between Michigan & Boston so the advice really helps.

We are used to the long cloudy days in Feb/March - the UK is famous for them!
My wife was born and raised in the Boston area (I was born and raised in Michigan). She wouldn't live anywhere but here now. Loves the weather, the Lakes, the scenery, and the people.

The cost of living is a huge difference between the two areas. Look closely at that, and how far each respective paycheck will go. When it came time to move from Maine, we could have chosen anyplace (she is an RN, I am an Electrician). After looking at wages, schools, Cost of Living, housing, etc... we are here in Michigan. My Sister in law is also a RN from Boston area, and she lives in San Antonio, TX now due to the cost in the Boston area.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Sales pitch:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan