Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelCam View Post
Lots of advice - thanks.

I have noticed that Grand Rapids has been mentioned. Does it have bars, restaurants etc?? What sports are available?? We are still a young couple so we do like going to a bar, or going for a meal? How friendly are the people with us Brits??

Also this may sound stupid but what wildlife, insects are in Michigan? We do not get much in the UK - def no scary beesties here.

GR is not a huge city, but it's quite a hoppin' town. Lots of places to eat and have drinks. Minor league hockey and baseball, golf, bowling, etc.

Mosquitoes are prevalent, along with fleas and ticks. A 'lil bit of preventive maintenance and you'll be OK.

Racoons will get in your rubbish (OK, I know I'm using a Brit term, LOL), oppossums will too. Occasional skunk or three, and watch out for deer while driving, especially during the rut.

Some good universities nearby. GVSU, Ferris State, Aquinas, et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM

31 posts, read 53,242 times
Racoons will get in your rubbish (OK, I know I'm using a Brit term, LOL), oppossums will too. Occasional skunk or three, and watch out for deer while driving, especially during the rut.

We normally have foxes or cats in our rubbish (or do you call it trash lol) so we can handle that.

I have just heard that Detroit is in a bit of a mess. But too be honest, everywhere is - especially here. We have always lived just outside a city so we can enjoy the benefits of both. Cheaper housing, better schools etc outside and the option to go into the city to see concerts, bands etc. Most likely my husband will be working in the city so we need to be within daily commuting distance.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Even though the quality of life in the Detroit Metro area (it's HUGE) is great, GR might be a little better. I lived 50 miles NW of Motown for over 20 years and liked it pretty much.

I've visited GR a little; seems like a cool town. It's the 2nd largest city in MI. Wherever ya go, there are plenty of things to do. I liked hangin' out in Grand Haven (fishing), and my mother just spent a week in South Haven. She had a fantastic time.

The Great Lakes are beautiful; you'll spend a lot of time on 'em.

There are some red fox in MI, but they're quite timid. I.e., you'll be "lucky" to see one. Plenty of feral cats too. I have a ladyfriend that swears she saw a black bear in her yard (DeWitt, MI). Not exactly "wilderness" ifya know what I mean....

Wolves? In the northern lower, maybe. Absolutely in da U.P. Sightings are sporadic in the northwest part of the L.P. Nice elk herd in the NE part of the L.P. too. You're likely to see some coyotes if you spend a lot of time outdoors. Watch your pets anyway.

Some reports of cougars too; an uncle saw one in the Traverse City area. I tend to believe him seein' how he's a veterinarian.

Summertime is "nesting season" for all kinds of migratory birds. Of course, the Canada goose is plentiful year 'round. Can be a nuisance at times. Hard to believe that they were almost extinct at one time. (over hunting, loss of habitat, etc.) They made a huge comeback, to say the least.

My favorite is the "sandhill crane". It's a big bird, LOL.

While ice fishing, I've had Mute Swans fly so close to me that I felt the "breeze" of their wings flappin'. No kidding.

Rabbits will munch on your garden, deer will eat your flowers, and chipmunks will hide under your porch. It's all good.

Watch out for "Dogman". LOL.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM

19 posts, read 57,224 times
MelCam,
Do you have a general idea of the area for Michigan? It may make all the difference.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM

31 posts, read 53,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferndc View Post
MelCam,
Do you have a general idea of the area for Michigan? It may make all the difference.

ferndc

I agree with your comment it does make all the difference. We would love to come out and visit the state - unfortunately we are not in a position to do that. I am having to rely on the internet as my research.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
What if you would list all the qualities that you are looking for and want in a place to live. That way others can give you more specifics.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
ferndc

I agree with your comment it does make all the difference. We would love to come out and visit the state - unfortunately we are not in a position to do that. I am having to rely on the internet as my research.
I know you have listed some general things you are looking for, but what are the more specific areas you are looking for? Michigan is a rather large State and quite diverse in it's offerings. Michigan alone is 56,809 square miles of LAND plus another 40,001 square miles of water. It would help narrow down the "where" question if we knew what you liked.

What sized hospital? If you are used to a large, go-go-go type facility, then a sleepy rural hospital will bore you out of your mind in a short time. If you are used to a smaller facility, the change to a large hospital coupled with a new Country, new culture, new everything may overwhelm someone.

What do you like to do? Wake up and have a coffee overlooking a beautiful sunrise over a lake that is 20,000+ square miles in size and looks like an inland sea of fresh water. or would you prefer to relax after a busy day and watch a beautiful sunset over a 20,000 square mile lake.

What do you like to be around most? Orchards, Vineyards, Farms, Forests, urban settings, etc...

Do you like the hustle and bustle of a large city, more laid-back but still busy mid-sized city, small city, small town, rural? While I like visiting Detroit, I can't imagine dealing with Detroit every single day. As much as I like the Seney area, I cannot image dealing with having to drive so darn far for everything either. We have a bit of everything here.

More "isolated" further North, or close to the Southern border and shorter drives to most of the rest of the US?

Tourist areas?

Not to be too nosy, but all these will help narrow down a location in a big place. From what I can find, the State of Michigan is larger than the entire Country of England so I am sure we can find an area that would suit your needs, as well as your wants.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:51 AM

19 posts, read 57,224 times
Are you able to choose the hospital you would like to transfer to or are there specific ones the recruitment company works with? Reason I'm asking is maybe we could help give more advice based on that info.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Have you looked into the legal and immigration side of this potential move?

Has the recruiter gone over required US certification with you? Will your visa entail a work permit for your husband? Will you be able to change employers on your visa or does termination by either side mean you have 30 days to leave the country? Who will pay visa/move/flight for you and your pet? Who will pay start-up costs such as deposits, licenses, setting up household?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Quote:
Wow this is def a sales pitch - looks amazing. Where is this in MI?
That is what it looks like from the Michigan/Indiana border all the way north to the Waugashance Point (north of Cross Village)

Yep... that's several hundred miles of uninterrupted sand beach that basically looks the photo posted above. It's a sales pitch, but it's also the West Michigan way of life.

Last edited by suydam; 06-26-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan