Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,819 times

Advertisements

Any great ideas for starting a business in West Michigan? I'm looking to move back from N.C, and there aren't many jobs in my field... so I'm looking to start something of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Green Power. Get a grant from the state and build or instal windmills, solar panels, fuel cells, etc.

Become a consultant on how to make existing buildings/businesses more "green"

the other decent options are tourims related or medical related businesses.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Cut grass in the summer, plow driveways/parking lots in the winter.

Charter fishing on Lake Michigan.

Pasty shop. Not the kind at the gentlemen's clubs...

Make custom golf clubs.

Career counselor.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
If you are prepared to work your tail off for what you want, you can do almost anything. Even in this economy.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedTeacher View Post
Any great ideas for starting a business in West Michigan? I'm looking to move back from N.C, and there aren't many jobs in my field... so I'm looking to start something of my own.
What are you passionate about? It's a lot easier getting through the tough times and long hours if you have a passion for the business.

I remember a business professor I had in college who said that the best ideas for business grow out of frustration. If you can find enough people who are frustrated about something, who will pay for something better, then you might have a good business idea. Or anything safety or security related. People are just basket cases lately with oversensitivity to security, hence the sheer explosion in anti-anxiety medication. Think about how much sales have probably exploded for those silly face masks due to swine flu. Before swine flu it was SARS. Before SARS it was some other pandemic.

Also, for the foreseeable future, we're going to be in the economic doldrums. Sales of candy and comfort foods has exploded. Sales of guns has gone through the roof. Sales of electric generators and water jugs, same thing. So think about what else people might be "stocking up on."

Also think about this, if you want a global business: China wants to have 220 cities with 1 Million residents each by 2025. What kinds of frustrations or innovations will need to be developed to handle that kind of urban influx? How about buses? Or products that go on buses? How about fire trucks? Or products that go on fire trucks? How about bikes? Or products that make biking easier? Keep in mind that China is horrible at making products with exacting specifications (their quality sucks basically on manufactured goods).

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08...ties/index.htm

1 Billion people in China and India moving from "developing" country status to "developed" status by 2025 (on the brink of middle class).

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/carbonfree-living-chinas-green-leap-forward-435208.html (broken link)

Just throwing out some ideas. Does China have a facebook? Does the culture of China, India, and other Asian countries, and how people interact, make developing a facebook more challenging? Or create opportunities?

Last edited by magellan; 05-29-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedTeacher View Post
I seen a machine that can turn 4 x 6 photos into digital form for your computer. I am actually thinking about starting up a second business making short picture videos for people who want a picture dvd. I already have some awesome software for my own picture dvds, but I know people are passionate about their photos, and I think this would be a nice little "side" income for me or anyone.
I used to be a welder, welding 12 hrs. a day, and I came up with many an idea. If I had the time I could make as much money as I wanted from any one of these ideas. I actually gave up a nice side business of one of my inventions, that I could have made an even bigger business, because I followed my other bigger passion. Like I said in my earlier post, if you want something bad enough...you can do anything.
Magellan is right on. Find something you love to do, that you can maybe even go global in the future, and you have a great shot to succeed.
Go to your most favorite quiet spot with a paper and pencil and think about a product or service that you would love to make or do, that you think people will buy. Write down all your ideas and go from there. For instance....my passion is yards, gardens, things like that, so I noticed people love cement statues. Well, I went from there and started my business.
If you love what you do, you will most likely do ANYTHING to make it work.

Last edited by michmoldman; 05-29-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I seen a machine that can turn 4 x 6 photos into digital form for your computer. I am actually thinking about starting up a second business making short picture videos for people who want a picture dvd. I already have some awesome software for my own picture dvds, but I know people are passionate about their photos, and I think this would be a nice little "side" income for me or anyone. I used to be a welder, welding 12 hrs. a day, and I came up with many an idea. If I had the time I could make as much money as I wanted from any one of these ideas. I actually gave up a nice side business of one of my inventions, that I could have made an even bigger business, because I followed my other bigger passion. Like I said in my earlier post, if you want something bad enough...you can do anything.
ha, too funny. I made a video that incorporated pictures and video from our Spring Break trip to Florida, and added in music, all on software that came standard on my Sony Vaio laptop. People thought I had paid $500 or more to have the video made. Nope. Charge people $200 or so, find 50 people who would like the same thing, and that's $10,000 for something that's actually pretty fun to do.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
ha, too funny. I made a video that incorporated pictures and video from our Spring Break trip to Florida, and added in music, all on software that came standard on my Sony Vaio laptop. People thought I had paid $500 or more to have the video made. Nope. Charge people $200 or so, find 50 people who would like the same thing, and that's $10,000 for something that's actually pretty fun to do.
Exactly. Especially the "older" folks who have no clue how to do this, and are amazed you can even do it! People will eat that kind of stuff right up, and pay good money. Especially the "niche" crowd, like people who have tons of pictures of their dog, or a guy who has a ton of fishing pictures. Fun money...and its a blast to do!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Exactly. Especially the "older" folks who have no clue how to do this, and are amazed you can even do it! People will eat that kind of stuff right up, and pay good money. Especially the "niche" crowd, like people who have tons of pictures of their dog, or a guy who has a ton of fishing pictures. Fun money...and its a blast to do!
Wow. Yeah, older dog lovers would be huge. Spin in some goofy music like America's Funniest Videos does and you might have a pretty good market. That seems like a good facebook business. Do you know how to send out advertisements through facebook? A guy I know does it for his website quite a bit, but I've never looked into it. They do charge, but not that much apparently. And I think they can be sent out to people outside of your network (like to dog lover fanpages maybe).

I had an idea a few years ago, after hearing about a dozen car alarms going off in Chicago and nobody answering them, to have car alarms send a radio signal to your key-fob and vibrate, to let you know the alarm was going off. Key fobs already have radio transmitters, why not a radio receiver? You could then check on your car or just shut it off. Apparently they're already on the market. After-market though, nothing standard in the OEM world yet.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow. Yeah, older dog lovers would be huge. Spin in some goofy music like America's Funniest Videos does and you might have a pretty good market. That seems like a good facebook business. Do you know how to send out advertisements through facebook? A guy I know does it for his website quite a bit, but I've never looked into it. They do charge, but not that much apparently. And I think they can be sent out to people outside of your network (like to dog lover fanpages maybe).

I had an idea a few years ago, after hearing about a dozen car alarms going off in Chicago and nobody answering them, to have car alarms send a radio signal to your key-fob and vibrate, to let you know the alarm was going off. Key fobs already have radio transmitters, why not a radio receiver? You could then check on your car or just shut it off. Apparently they're already on the market. After-market though, nothing standard in the OEM world yet.
I think your on to something! Thats a great idea!!
LOL! yeah, some goofy AFHV's music and your good! The music really makes the video. I did one of our camping pictures with Gordon Lightfoots "Carefree Highway" and its awesome! I would have paid someone some decent money to do it for me.
How about a wallet alarm. I start to panic when I cant find mine!!
I dont know much about facebook believe it or not, just never really had the time. I guess I better before someone calls me an old timer.
Another thing is that google thing where you post sites and make money. I never really thought about doing it, but my brother in law told me he tried it (in the little spare time he has), and made $80 in a few weeks. I paid the .99 cents, and I'm gonna see what I can do with it.

Last edited by michmoldman; 05-29-2009 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: