Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Exactly. Especially the "older" folks who have no clue how to do this, and are amazed you can even do it! People will eat that kind of stuff right up, and pay good money. Especially the "niche" crowd, like people who have tons of pictures of their dog, or a guy who has a ton of fishing pictures. Fun money...and its a blast to do!
Lol. My husband and i started doing this and making slide shows for our church, and we overlayed our announcements over the pictures at the beginning of the service...and we had showed some of our dvd/cd of our trips like to the grand canyon, and had music with it. Now we have many coming and asking us to do this for them...
It is definitly fun to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 PM

32 posts, read 77,732 times
[quote=magellan;9048942]That "secret to success" sounds like it's right out of the 1990's. It doesn't cut it these days.

Cut what? What specifically do you disagree with? What does the '90's have to do with it? Have you created and run a business and watched it grow or just parroting what you read someplace?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr penguin View Post

Cut what? What specifically do you disagree with? What does the '90's have to do with it? Have you created and run a business and watched it grow or just parroting what you read someplace?
It's not good enough. Charging a fair price and trying to do a better job than your competition, though noble, isn't good enough any more. That's exactly what I meant by "doesn't cut it." It's my opinion, based on my first-hand experience. Plus, it's interesting to hear a business owner deride other people for creativity and innovation.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by magellan; 05-30-2009 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Work smarter, not harder.

Here's another frustration: if anyone can figure out a way to totally eliminate the need for ironing clothes, I'm in! (so is my DW)
I know, I'm so used to bustin' my arse for a buck!

Quicker, better, faster.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,821 times
Maybe I'll start a bar... sad as it sounds, there is a large part of the population that would deal with stress, disappointment, and life by giving me business.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedTeacher View Post
Maybe I'll start a bar... sad as it sounds, there is a large part of the population that would deal with stress, disappointment, and life by giving me business.
Nooooooo........

Take a good look at the liability insurance.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nooooooo........

Take a good look at the liability insurance.
And it looks like the state will soon be passing a no smoking bill. From my vending/coin op amusements experience that absolutely kills bar revenues. Figure out how much you need. Set a daily/weekly income goal. What is it that you cant wait to do when you get up in the morning? No matter what some think, hard work, perseverence and honest competition will pay the bills. This is not a 1990's principle. Get some momentum going. What you start with is not necessarily what you end up doing. Do you think the driller just went to the bank and asked for a million bucks and went out and poked holes in the ground? Nope, he had to start with the first well and went on from there. You could start out selling balloons and end up owning the rubber company. Dont get sucked into schemes. Turn on the BS detector and look for an opportunity. Be patient. Dont listen to how well Joe drop-ship is doing or how Chamwow is the way to go. My third child starts college in the fall. (All 3 will be debt free) The bills are paid. I have 6 employees and a successful business built from zero. Wanna argue that? Pack a lunch chump.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:08 PM

PS I'm wishing you the best of luck and will be thinking and praying for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,200 times
Default Not to open a can of worms, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr penguin View Post
And it looks like the state will soon be passing a no smoking bill. From my vending/coin op amusements experience that absolutely kills bar revenues.
I can't discount your direct experience, but that business about revenue dropping off is a bunch of BS fomented by Big Tobacco. Studies have shown that there may be a dip in business right after the law passes, but soon people will have to suck it up and realize that there's nowhere to go where they can smoke and they will come back. Also, people who have avoided restaurants and bars because of the smoking will begin to come in.

California has had a statewide non-smoking law for 15 years now. In fact, there are very few places here that people can smoke, other than their own homes. Some cities even have ordinances that prohibit smoking in public.

We'll be back the weekend of July 4th, so I hope the law is in place by then. If not, we know where to find the smoke-free restaurants and they will get our money.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedTeacher View Post
I've never heard of a liquor store going out of business (except for those where drug dealing or selling to minors was going on).

As far as the smoking ban goes, that discussion is for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: