Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,506 times

Advertisements

There are many market areas that you can flip homes in. Not in Michigan, but in south carolina,parts of north carolina,Texas is a state that homes are selling well,
Arkansas is still selling well. The out look is bad for Michigan for the next 5 to 10 years.
I would not attempt to flip a home in Michigan.
You need to be able to afford your flip if it does not sell, I would do the remodel and live in it till it sold then do another, this way if you do not sell you can live in it. Remember Homes in parts of SC and texas are selling for more than in Michigan, Homes in Michigan are falling fast, they are going up in Texas and SC, Not as much as they were but going up. I still think Florida is a good place to invest, there will always be people who want to go to the warm water of the south.
There is a reason 22 million people live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Investors are flocking to the Detroit area to buy groups of foreclosure houses. You can buy a house for as little as $3,700 Some groups are looking to buy groups of 100 houses at a time. The market is so low, that they think that they cannot lose money. Only time will tell.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I would suggest not flipping now, unless you plan to live in the house until the market's up again.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 AM

104 posts, read 375,050 times
One thing about flipping is that I think it's too popular now. There are all those shows on TLC, A&E, etc...They make house flipping seem fun, exciting, and lucrative (most of the time). I enjoy watching them too, and sometimes you forget that it wouldn't all be resolved in an hour.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 810,977 times
Default It's Supply and Demand

Read that article in the Detroit paper as well, and while I wish those folks luck, don't forget that 27,000 people moved out of Detroit in one year alone! Wonder why you can get a house so cheap there now? It's because no one wants to live there and/or can find a job to live there. (This is not South Florida where demand ebs and flows over the years, but still remains on a general upward line.) If that rate of exodus continues there will likely be WAY more rental properties than renters and then it won't matter HOW little you paid for the houses.

Will it turn around in 5 or 10 years? I'm not a Detroit expert, but hasn't the city been losing population consistently for the last 40 years? Anyone see any reason that's going to change any time soon?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 67,737 times
Default Rule #1 of running a business is...

Rule #1 of running a successful business, is to KNOW YOUR BUSINESS. If you want to be successful at this, then I suggest thoroughly learning the ins-and-outs of running a construction firm, if you don't already.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 PM

16 posts, read 36,045 times
unless you really research it and have money and crew to back you up i say forget it my brother in law wanted to do this and had not the first clue about it i said forget it if it doesnt sell or it is too high priced because you underestimated projected work time and the cost involved you are screwed!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,057 times
Excellent question. I think one thing to keep in mind is that until you learn how to flip houses, or have an experienced mentor who is directing you, this is not something that you want to just dive right into. From my experience, I kept a full time job, then went part time, and eventually became a full time investor.

One way you can get into flipping houses is by starting as a wholesaler. This is a way to make quick cash while also learning the ropes of investing. Flipping houses can work almost anywhere, but you must know your market. Additionally, there are ways to invest outside of your city limits when you wholesale properties. One great trainer for this is Chris Chico. I hope this helps!

Jeff Logue

Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
My BNLs have flipped two houses in the Fenton area in the past 18 months. Bought each for less than 80% of market value. They rehabbed both houses completely--from top to bottom--plumbing and electrical--and sold each house for 75-90% of current value. They are currently looking for their third house in the Fenton area..

Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguys View Post
There are many market areas that you can flip homes in. Not in Michigan, but in south carolina,parts of north carolina,Texas is a state that homes are selling well,
Arkansas is still selling well. The out look is bad for Michigan for the next 5 to 10 years.
EDITED....
The only real estate selling here is less than 150K and generally those are double-wides. Some stick built homes are being sold -- less than 125K -- but very few that are over 200K. There are developments all over that have just the streets or 1 or 2 homes built where 40-50 were going up. I would think that 85% (or more) of the construction here has stopped.

Fayetteville and Jacksonville are booming, mainly because they have huge military bases. I have heard that some areas of Charlotte are doing well.

Though the outlook here says it should turn around in the next 12-18 months...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan