Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,865 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving from Texas to Lansing/East Lansing this summer (I will be starting my doctorate at MSU). In our vicariou search for a location to rent (through Apartment sites, Craigslist, etc.), we found a home at 1200 Maryland Avenue in Lansing that we were very interested in, like the communication we've had with the owners, and all the rennovations that have happened to the old home.

I forward the address to my sppn-to-be grad professor, who forwarded it to his realtor, who responded about the area: "[font=Arial][SIZE=2]That is a good area. It is not where I would want to purchase a home; but, it is a quiet neighborhood in a good location, convenient! " So, a seeming decent response.

However, a "cousin of a friend" who lives in Lansing, when we told him about the listing responded, "...terrible neighborhood, and is in the ghetto."

So....now we're worried. Can anyone advise on the neighborhood? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,612,973 times
I would say that reality is closer to what you heard from your soon-to-be grad professor. It's not "in the ghetto". But I know people that would consider anything within the Lansing city limits to be "in the ghetto", which really isn't the case.

I'd say it's above average for a Lansing city neighborhood. Not as nice as anything in East Lansing, but not bad, and it's a really easy drive to campus from there.

I've also never lived there, so I'm sure there are others who would know more.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,908,126 times
I am not sure if this is the house you will be renting, but this came up on Google maps.
At least you can get an idea of the area. If you do the "street view" you can pan around a bit.
1200 Maryland Ave lansing mi - Google Maps

Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM

222 posts, read 811,596 times
Default Good Area?

I hate to dispute the word of a realtor, but while this is not the worst area in Lansing, I would not necessarily call it a good area.

Even though I live in Lansing, I am currently looking to move, so I have seen most of the same rental listings you are seeing. And, while this one looks like a pretty good deal, I think if you can wait a few more weeks (or maybe a couple of months) I think you will see a LOT more properties come on the market for rent. From what I am seeing, East Lansing is terribly overbuilt at this point and if MSU's enrollment drops even slightly for next fall, there are going to be a lot of empty rental properties, IMHO.

On the plus side you are not far from a "good area" with this one though. You are west of the Groesbeck Golf Course. If you were just east of there I think you would be much happier. Then again, the rental price will likely be higher the further east you go.

However . . . if you don't have any kids, make sure to lock your car and house doors all the time and pay attention to your surroundings, the current asking price (I just double checked) is not a bad deal.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

87 posts, read 255,260 times
I work in Lansing every day, and I'm all over the city. The east side of Groesbeck is far nicer than the west side. This street in general is not all that bad, to be honest, but if you go a few streets over, it gets really bad, really quick. Maryland is probably the nicest street in that neighborhood (probably because of the proximity to the golf course, which is actually really nice), the rest of it is pretty sketchy, and with the Waverly/Jolly area, I'd say its one of the worst areas in Lansing.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
Sorry but Lansing is not a nice town. East Lansing is ok. But I would suggest that if you are going to MSU then look east of East Lansing: Haslett, Okemos, Williamston are all nice small towns that are convenient to campus 5 to 15 min drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan