Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband has recently secured a job at Michigan State, and we will be relocating to the area in mid-July of this year from Birmingham, AL. We have begun the process of researching housing options, and I would love to get some advice from folks who know the area that we can consider in our decision making process.

Hubby's job is a temporary one, and we will only be in the Lansing area for 2-3 years max, so we plan to rent. We have our first baby on the way, and would love to find an apartment or house that is 3 bedrooms, with anywhere from 1-2 baths. We also strongly desire washer/dryer connections or a washer/dryer in the unit, as a new baby creates astronomical amounts of dirty laundry! Our budget needs to stay at $750 or below.

As far as what part of the Lansing area we are interested in, from my research, I think we are open to almost anywhere if we can find housing that meets our needs, including: East Lansing, Lansing, Haslett, Okemos, etc. Our only real requirement for location is that it takes no more than about 20 minutes to access the MSU campus. School districts don't really matter to us, since our child won't be school age until after we leave Lansing.

So, that's our situation. We would love to have property management company recommendations, apartment complex recommendations, neighborhood recommendations, and any other advice that we can get! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Haslett, Okemos, East Lansing and even eastern parts of Holt would be your best bets for housing. dtn management seems to be the largest property management agency in the area, their signs are all over. My advice would be to stay east of 127 and north of 96, unless you were to be in Holt, you'd be a little south of 96, but there are plenty of back roads up to campus. There may be some good apartments in/around Frandor (large shopping center at 127/Saginaw). Coolidge Road between Saginaw and Lake Lansing Road. Anything along Lake Lansing out towards Marsh Road would be fine. Anything on Marsh Road, Dobie Road, Okemos Road~all would be great areas, walkable neighborhoods, easy access to campus.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 143,395 times
I'd aim for East Lansing. Like teachbeach said, there are nice homes and apartments around Coolidge Road. Close to Frandor, MSU, and you can get to downtown Lansing quickly. Okemos is a great area, but it's fairly expensive. East Lansing also has much more to offer in terms of entertainment, if that matters at all.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Your options for an apartment / townhouse with W/D hookups are going to be limited, and expect to pay a bit more. I strongly advise looking in Haslett, Okemos, Holt or Mason for easy commutes and good areas, and EL if you can find something in your price range.

I don't have all of the complexes memorized, but some of them are: Montgomery Court, Dell Road, Aspen Lake, Oak Park Townhomes. You also have extensive privately owned or small scale properties that don't have big management companies.

Make sure to read the reviews on apartment ratings dot com - most of them are fairly accurate.

STAY AWAY FROM EDGEWOOD BLVD in S. Lansing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan