Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM

217 posts, read 608,144 times

Advertisements

Not sure how houses in Marquette are selling, though I imagine it's the same as the rest. Some houses I've seen on the market for a year or two now. One, in fact, I used to rent a room in, originally had their selling price at $135,000 may a year, 1 1/2 years ago (which I thought was ridiculously high) and they've lowered their price all the way down to $90K and still haven't sold.

As for condos in Marquette County, HORRIBLE. The Mining Journal had an article yesterday showing that in the past two years there were 161 condos built and more than 80% of them were still for sale at the end of December 2008 (occupied or vacant). So naturally the city of Marquette sells part of Founder's Landing to a local group to... build more $500K+ condos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I'm a real estate agent in SW Michigan (Kalamazoo). Things are picking up and I am selling homes! If priced right, and staged well, there are buyers out there ready to buy. Outstanding interest rates, tax credit incentives, and the advent of spring is bringing some buyers out of hibernation at last!
A buddy of mine in the mortgage industry told me 30 year fixed rates are down to 4.65%, and may go lower. We got in about 6 years ago at 5.25%, and I never thought we'd get an opportunity to refinance, but here we are. Basically for $350, we can knock $20,000 off our total interest due or knock $120 off our payment, take yer pick.

If you're in your mid to late 20's, just renting and looking at homes right now, it's like resetting the clock back to the 1970's.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM

32 posts, read 186,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
A buddy of mine in the mortgage industry told me 30 year fixed rates are down to 4.65%, and may go lower. We got in about 6 years ago at 5.25%, and I never thought we'd get an opportunity to refinance, but here we are. Basically for $350, we can knock $20,000 off our total interest due or knock $120 off our payment, take yer pick.

If you're in your mid to late 20's, just renting and looking at homes right now, it's like resetting the clock back to the 1970's.
How do you refinance for $350???

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
How do you refinance for $350???
You just pay for the appraisal fee and roll the closing costs in. You still come out ahead if rates are low enough compared to your current rate, and if you plan to stay in your home for a while (we do).

Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM

217 posts, read 608,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

Yep, I've been looking at refinancing my mortgage, too. I'm 2 1/2 years into my mortgage right now, which was at 6.25%. I can knock that down about 1.5 points today, which would help me out greatly! I'm probably gonna lock in a rate in the next few days. I don't want to sit and wait and hope they keep going lower, because you never know how the market is going to react to all the news these days, and a few times over the past few months I've been watching rates and they've spiked up to 5.25% before coming back down. Anything under 5% is good in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan