Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

Most of the state is poor for farming, and there's a lot of water and shoreline.

There's tons of trees. It's a bit different than most of the Midwest isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Michigan is one of the nation's leading producers of many crops (Sugar Beets, Cherries, Apples, Potatoes).
Heck the entire western 1/3rd of the state is one big fruit belt.

I'm not sure where you heard the farming was poor, but I'm fairly sure you're off base.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM

293 posts, read 849,634 times
I agree with suydam - I will knock Michigan for a lot of things, but one thing we don't have problems with is poor farming. Where I live, there are tons of large farms, growing potatoes, corn, soybeans and sugar beets.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
I think Mimzy might be comparing Michigan to the Great Plains - Midwestern states like Western Illinois and Iowa?

But I'm with everyone else. Michigan's agriculture industry is pretty huge, although it's probably all below a line around Clare.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,163 times
Ocean-like lakes, soaring sand dunes, white-sand beaches...I say, YES, Michigan is different that much of the Midwest! ;-)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Michigan is known for its unique geographical attributes. It is made up of two peninsulas and most of the state is surrounded by the Great Lakes. This means Michigan is somewhat geogrpahically cut off from the rest of the Midwest. Most of the midwest isn't surrounded by water in anyway./ Wisconsin may have Lake Michigan to its east and Lake Superior to its north, and many lakes within the state. Minnesota may have Lake Superior to its northeast and the most lakes of any state, but it isn't like Michigan. Michigan is literally 2 peninsulas, surrounded by these lakes: Michigan, Huron,Superior, Erie, and St. Clair. It is also flanked by the St. Croix and Detroit rivers to the east.

Michigan is also known for its place as the producer of American automobiles. Michigan has cereal(Post and Kellogs). It is known for its fruiits. In addition to all of this, Michigan has its share of musicians. Ted Nugent is from Detroit. Michigan is known for its place in R & B. You have Motown in Detroit(Aretha Franklin started there, as did Stevie Wonder(born in Saginaw), and the Jackson 5). DeBarge is from Grand Rapids. Al Green used to live in Grand Rapids.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Very similar to Upstate NY, really, but I think it fits the Midwest.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Michigan is upper Midwest, so it's similar to states like Minnesota and Wisconsin. Both of those states have plenty of trees and lakes. We also have plenty of cornfields, mostly in the southern part of the state. Also, the character of the state changes as you go south. The U.P. and Northern Lower is nothing but lakes and forest, the landscape starts opening up south of Big Rapids with more farms and hardwoods, and south of Kalamazoo more prairie and cornfields can be seen. The town I live in is 14 miles from the Indiana border and is completely surrounded by cornfields, and there are fewer trees near the Indiana border. Sturgis and White Pigeon might as well be in Ohio.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Michigan is second only to California in the variety of crops grown commercially. It is one of the largest producers in the Country of several of those crops as well. Blueberries, and Cherries come to mind first. Apples are huge as are Peaches. At any local farmers market during season I can find dozens of different types of apples, peaches or pears. We do not take a back seat to any Midwest state for farming.

Lakes, rivers, and water? You are never more than 6 miles from water in the State. Yeah we have water. With 3300+ miles of shoreline we have a few beaches as well with sand that would make 90% of the beaches in the world envious.

Woods/trees? Yep, we have those in abundance as well. You are right, we are not really like most other Midwest states, but then again I am a bit prejudiced toward Michigan.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Let me ask you this guys.

Would you consider the culture of Michigan closely related other Midwest states? Or is it something completely different?

Are there any influences from other parts of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan