Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually, Michigan is second in agricultural diversity for the US in crops grown commercially. When it comes to individual crops there are several we are the #1 grower in the US and plenty more where we are #2 or #3 in the Country. There is a LOT more agricultural production in Michigan than most native Michiganders realize.
There are many cherries near Traverse City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,129,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There's quite a bit of agriculture yes, but it differs from the other Midwestern states in that:

1) farmland takes up far less than half of Michigan's land area
2) there are more specialized crops, and not so much corn and soybeans

Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Most of the state is poor for farming, and there's a lot of water and shoreline.

There's tons of trees. It's a bit different than most of the Midwest isn't it?
Well Michigan may relate more to the upper midwest ( Minnesota, Wisconsin).

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Please don't feed the trolls. MN55, beat it.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM

46 posts, read 163,960 times
I've lived the last 3 years in SE MI and I think area has more in common with the Western NY region (lived in Rochester, NY) than other parts of the Midwest (namely St. Louis where I have lived and the Danville/Champaign area where my mother is from). And from what an old roommate from Omaha told me, it's nothing like Nebraska.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgoblue View Post
I've lived the last 3 years in SE MI and I think area has more in common with the Western NY region (lived in Rochester, NY) than other parts of the Midwest (namely St. Louis where I have lived and the Danville/Champaign area where my mother is from). And from what an old roommate from Omaha told me, it's nothing like Nebraska.
Very true about "upstate" New York and SE Michigan. Topography wise, anyway. It's a whole new ballgame when ya get north of M-10 though.

I've been to the sunrise side alot and it looks like a lot of places in Maine, sans the salt in the air.

Nuthin' like the U.P. though. Haven't been any place that reminds me of those parts.

...or the Leelanau peninsula for that matter....

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

271 posts, read 665,279 times
The wife and I circled the UP in 2006 with camper in tow. The Keweenaw peninsula all the way up to Copper Harbor seemed nothing like the rest of the UP. It seemed quite wealthy and developed, like Harbor Springs.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

Man *****?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 45,537 times
I am a Michigander,born and bred. I lived there most of my life until we decided to see the rest of the country and traveled all over for 3 yrs straight. I ended up in Florida and will return to Michigan this week. I cant wait to get home.
There is no where in this country that is really like Michigan, I have seen or lived in many of the states now.
Michigan has everything all packed into one state. Lots of agriculture, big cities and small towns, forest and lots and lots of water, turist towns that even the locals enjoy and use.
Manufacturing and arts and culture, anything from fine arts to a country barn dance. It is all here.
Any kind of recreation that you could imagine.
The big cities are bad, but really no more so then many others in this country that I have seen, and I have seen a lot!
Stay out of the big cities in any state and you will find this is a good country no matter where you are, however I still like Michigan the best.
Something I really missed in some states was trees and water, The landscape just isnt nearly as pretty, it even looks so odd to me without hardwood trees and water everywhere.
This is not true for everywhere of course.
Michigan is really not like the rest of the mid west, and the UP is an entity to itself.
so I am going home, where yes the winters are cold, but the fall season is amazing, no one locks there door to this day, and you can walk the streets of town at any hour day or night and have no fear.
I cant wait to go!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniature View Post
I am a Michigander,born and bred. I lived there most of my life until we decided to see the rest of the country and traveled all over for 3 yrs straight. I ended up in Florida and will return to Michigan this week. I cant wait to get home.
Welcome home a week early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan