Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

54 posts, read 53,406 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Monroe (where I'm living now) and GB and Burton.

GB is a good area, community, schools, etc. I also liked Burton. But don't move into the city (Flint), the crime is horrible, along with the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,827,549 times
Grand Blanc is ok, but it is nothing special. As you know Flint is kinda close, as are all its major issues. If your looking for a nice Genesse county town, Fenton is a much better choice than grand blanc. Fenton has lakes, a nice shopping area, good schools. The town itself has much more character to it than Grand Blanc. Check out Fenton too before you settle on Grand Blanc. In my opinion there is no comparison, Fenton is far nicer.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 32,686 times
We have lived in Grand Blanc for 7 years and find mostly everyone to be friendly and down to earth. We have a 5 & 10 yr. old and live in a manicured suburban community. Yikes!!! It is great though because we have a community spirit where the kids ride their bikes to each others home, play hop scotch and walk to the bus stop together every day. Our ice cream man said,"Your neighborhood is like stepping back into the 1950's." We absolutely love it here and this is the time to buy! With the saginaw corridor study and the roads being widened for pedestrian use, this town will be a true gem. Our schools are better than Fenton's and we absolutely love it here!!!! Welcome anyone who decides to move here. Most of us are very down to earth and our schools have tons of parental involvement and spirit!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
i AM PLANING TO MOVE AND RELOCATE MY SOCWR ACADEMY .
IF YOU HAVE OPINION ABOUT SOCCER DEVELOPMENT IN THIS AREA PLEASE POST

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
i AM PLANING TO RELOCATE MY SOCCER ACADEMY AND MOVE WITH MY FAMILY .
ANY COMENT ABOUT SOCCER DEVELOPMENT.
sasa

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM

893 posts, read 1,208,946 times
My girlfriend teaches up in Grand Blanc. Been up a lot this past year and my impression is that Grand Blanc is a prime example of everything that went wrong with city planning in the mid-20th century.

Basically, there is no "core" to the city. There is no "downtown". Everything is just spread out based on the main roads that run through it; Saginaw, Dort, Hill, etc. It's basically designed so that the only way to get anywhere is by car, which makes it a miserable place to be.

You can't walk anywhere. You can't even ride bikes anywhere. There is also pretty much zero public transportation. Therefore, there are never any people around. Everyone is just on the road all the time, driving to one place, then getting back in the car and driving to the next, eventually driving home. You literally never see anyone. It's very dreary and, again, miserable. I would definitely not want to live there, so I don't recommend it.

(this is from the point of view of someone who lives in Downtown Lansing [and loves it there] FWIW)

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 05-06-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM

89 posts, read 194,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Grand Blanc is ok, but it is nothing special. As you know Flint is kinda close, as are all its major issues. If your looking for a nice Genesse county town, Fenton is a much better choice than grand blanc. Fenton has lakes, a nice shopping area, good schools. The town itself has much more character to it than Grand Blanc. Check out Fenton too before you settle on Grand Blanc. In my opinion there is no comparison, Fenton is far nicer.
Agreed with this poster. I work in Flint and know the area semi-well. Grand Blanc is a nice area, but nothing special. If you're worried about the crime fromt Flint, I wouldn't worry much, GB is quite safe.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,037 times
Just to jump in on this thread. I too am likely to be getting a job in the Grand Blanc area reasonably soon, but it does seem that the place is everything I'm not looking for, being 24 and single. Would it be recommended living in say, Troy, Pontiac or Auburn Hills instead and dealing with about a 30 miles commute? Obviously once I get stuff finalized I'll have to do a final cost analysis to take into account rent differences as well as gas money.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,178,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler2012 View Post
Just to jump in on this thread. I too am likely to be getting a job in the Grand Blanc area reasonably soon, but it does seem that the place is everything I'm not looking for, being 24 and single. Would it be recommended living in say, Troy, Pontiac or Auburn Hills instead and dealing with about a 30 miles commute? Obviously once I get stuff finalized I'll have to do a final cost analysis to take into account rent differences as well as gas money.
What are you looking for?

I'm way out of that age range, but I can tell you there are several very nice apartment communities in or around Grand Blanc, and while it is quite bland and etc, there are bars and nightlife in and near GB and cultural stuff in Flint and places to hike and bike all over the area. If that is what you are looking for.

The commute wouldn't be bad, although not something I'd choose.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,037 times
That is a good question. I grew up in a large city (think Chicago sized) so I've always been used to having almost everything and anything I want to do. I have however spent the last 5 years in more college town cities so it won't be quite a big a change moving to Grand Blanc. In some ways I guess what I really value is a variety in the choice (food, nightlife) to do something without having to plan ahead. Also, being in a community with people my age would be great. I'm pretty sure I would love the job, I'm just not sure about living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan