Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM

98 posts, read 321,348 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
If you've seen my prior posts you might know that my husband and I were all geared up to leave MI and head South for warmer weather, lower cost of living and lots of job options (or so we thought). Well, we changed our minds after we realized we have good jobs here, we have family and friends here and we really do like MI. After we realized this and my husband was promoted at work we thought it was a good time to buy a house and so we did. We LOVE our house and have finally settled in.

And then Friday happened...my husband lost his job . Oh, I am so stressed about this wondering if buying our house was the right thing to do, if we had still been renting we could move out of state, etc. I'm very sad by this but I guess this could and does happen to a lot of people so we are not alone and who am I to think it would never happen to us.

Between my income and unemployment we should be fine but in order to have a life again, save for retirement, etc my husband needs to fine something!

Does anyone know of any openings in IT near the Lansing area? He was a Network Administrator doing all sorts of computer things (too complicated for me!) If anyone has suggestions or knows someone who may be hiring please let me know! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
Sorry to hear that. If he's good at IT perhaps he could get a home based service or consulting biz going. I have a printing background and have thought about doing the same thing but lack the IT skillls. Many large companies have a need for packaging and product id solutions and that requires set up of sytems and hardware and servicing of the equipment also. I just got laid off from a label manufacturer in GR, but the servicing and installation of the product id side of the plant was staying real busy. Zebra and Sato are the most familiar names in this niche industry, maybe google those names and see if it's something he may be interested in.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM

107 posts, read 356,983 times
I am in the same boat but tell him that Grand Rapids and Kazoo seem to be steady in IT jobs

Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

147 posts, read 522,287 times
MMS, I'm so sorry to hear that. My husband lost his job 3 weeks ago...it was a total shock to both of us, he had worked for MSU for 11 years. Like you, we love Michigan and hate to leave...but now we will be forced to.

Best of Luck to you and your family. The above poster is right, GR and Kalamazoo are his best bets. Lansing is in pretty rough shape for jobs.

Keep the faith...something will turn up.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMovesSouth View Post
Hi Everyone,
If you've seen my prior posts you might know that my husband and I were all geared up to leave MI and head South for warmer weather, lower cost of living and lots of job options (or so we thought). Well, we changed our minds after we realized we have good jobs here, we have family and friends here and we really do like MI. After we realized this and my husband was promoted at work we thought it was a good time to buy a house and so we did. We LOVE our house and have finally settled in.

And then Friday happened...my husband lost his job . Oh, I am so stressed about this wondering if buying our house was the right thing to do, if we had still been renting we could move out of state, etc. I'm very sad by this but I guess this could and does happen to a lot of people so we are not alone and who am I to think it would never happen to us.

Between my income and unemployment we should be fine but in order to have a life again, save for retirement, etc my husband needs to fine something!

Does anyone know of any openings in IT near the Lansing area? He was a Network Administrator doing all sorts of computer things (too complicated for me!) If anyone has suggestions or knows someone who may be hiring please let me know! Thanks in advance!!
If you can stomach some more cold weather and gray skies for a while, I would highly suggest western subs of Chicago, thousands of IT positions (thousands of jobs in every field) still one of the fastest growing areas, a little on the pricey side but consider the following: only a 4 hour drive back to Mid-Michigan, job security, many more opportunities in many arenas. My brother lost his IT Analyst job with the State of Michigan and was employed in Chicago area within 5 days, making 2x (slightly offset by cost of living) but none the less employment is employment. I wish you the best of luck, my family will also be making the move from Michigan soon.

Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Your husband could go to Ask.com and solve PC problems on line, for 8-$9.00 each. $9.00 for 3 minutes isn't bad.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:44 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
This is precisely why I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on buying a home in Michigan right now. Prices and rates will never be lower, but even in my field (medical) things are as unstable as I've ever seen them, and there have already been layoffs and talk of reducing hours at my hospital this year. I have cousins downstate who are about to lose their homes because they bought and then lost their jobs.........no way am I going to risk putting myself in that situation. I love this state and hope to never have to leave it (things aren't that good even in the boom states right now), but this economy really has me cowering in correlation to major investments such as housing.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
I'm so sorry. I know how he feels. I lost my job in engineering a year and a half ago and made a career change to teaching.

Could he teach classes at a community college? How about looking into something like help desk support from home?

On the bright side, IT is one of the things they say we need so I don't think IT is nearly as bad as either engineering or teaching. Hopefully, he'll find something fairly quickly.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHallGirl View Post
MMS, I'm so sorry to hear that. My husband lost his job 3 weeks ago...it was a total shock to both of us, he had worked for MSU for 11 years. Like you, we love Michigan and hate to leave...but now we will be forced to.

Best of Luck to you and your family. The above poster is right, GR and Kalamazoo are his best bets. Lansing is in pretty rough shape for jobs.

Keep the faith...something will turn up.
I'm sorry for you and your husband as well. I can't believe MSU let him go - I was under the impression that MSU would be doing ok. I can't see them having too few students to fill the university...hmmm. we had thought of looking into that for a job for him but maybe not. Was your husband in IT?

Best of luck to you as you search elsewhere for jobs.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm so sorry. I know how he feels. I lost my job in engineering a year and a half ago and made a career change to teaching.

Could he teach classes at a community college? How about looking into something like help desk support from home?

On the bright side, IT is one of the things they say we need so I don't think IT is nearly as bad as either engineering or teaching. Hopefully, he'll find something fairly quickly.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation too - I've read several posts from you so I'm well versed in what's been going on with you.

I hope we will be ok due to his field - they say IT is even hiring in MI (according to Kiplinger IT and Health Care are the ONLY 2 fields in MI hiring) but a quick glance online and I'm not finding a whole lot.

We will do what we have to do like everyone else - I hope you find something in your field soon.

Will you consider moving out of state if you don't (can't recall what you've said about that in the past)? Ugh, that is just not what I want to do (despite my name!) but who knows where life will take us at this point. I think it's just surreal right now - I really never imagined this happening but then again, why are we so special that it wouldn't happen us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan