Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
MGD MGD started this thread

122 posts, read 290,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan MGD. You might want to try and visit the TC area in the winter to see what it's like, if you haven't already. And you might want to try and pick up winter coats, boots, SNOWPANTS, gloves and hats now that the season is winding down and stores (here) have everything marked way down. My wife always buys the kids new coats this time of year for next year, because most of that stuff gets destroyed by kids in one season. You can probably find stuff online if you're not going to be in Michigan any time soon.

Girls' Outerwear : Girls' Clothing + Shoes : Kids : Target

And the pictures posted on this site don't even come close to showing the beauty of the Grand Traverse area (not that the pictures are bad). You'll have a lot of fun just exploring the area.
THANK YOU! That is something I had not thought of (and that's why I made the post, cause I know there are always things that need to be planned for that a person in the middle of a crisis might be too stressed to think of)...

Thank you for the link and the online shopping idea. I am not sure if I could pick out my right size online for things I've never bought like snowpants...but if the men's sizes are straightforward that might work.

I will see what I can afford once money comes in. I'm not above heading to a salvation army or whathave you for winter necessaries either, although I think the main outer pieces need to be very good to survive the winter walking around, from what I'm reading...

I have lived in maryland snow before, although my body is now spoiled from years of florida weather...but north florida gets 4 seasons, it's been down in the teens here sometimes, so we're nothing like central and south florida. My detroit friend says the snow is "not that bad" as what I'm hearing...but who knows, he's FROM detroit, michigan snow isn't going to seem like a big deal to someone who grew up in it. lol.

Yeah I wish i could afford to go up and take a look...i can't. That's why i'm doing as much research as possible ahead of time. The college (don't know why i kept calling it university, just habit) even has an online view of the apartments...that place is like an answer to prayer. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
THANK YOU! That is something I had not thought of (and that's why I made the post, cause I know there are always things that need to be planned for that a person in the middle of a crisis might be too stressed to think of)...

Thank you for the link and the online shopping idea. I am not sure if I could pick out my right size online for things I've never bought like snowpants...but if the men's sizes are straightforward that might work.

I will see what I can afford once money comes in. I'm not above heading to a salvation army or whathave you for winter necessaries either, although I think the main outer pieces need to be very good to survive the winter walking around, from what I'm reading...

I have lived in maryland snow before, although my body is now spoiled from years of florida weather...but north florida gets 4 seasons, it's been down in the teens here sometimes, so we're nothing like central and south florida. My detroit friend says the snow is "not that bad" as what I'm hearing...but who knows, he's FROM detroit, michigan snow isn't going to seem like a big deal to someone who grew up in it. lol.

Yeah I wish i could afford to go up and take a look...i can't. That's why i'm doing as much research as possible ahead of time. The college (don't know why i kept calling it university, just habit) even has an online view of the apartments...that place is like an answer to prayer. lol.
Yeah, Traverse City snow and Detroit snow are completely different. I think it's more like Grand Rapids (lake effect snow from Lake Michigan).

You might be able to pick up some good used clothes at places like Goodwill. There's no shame in that. "New" doesn't always mean "warm" and/or "built well." I'm always amazed at how fast kids go through winter clothes, but I guess that comes from them wearing it every day.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yeah, Traverse City snow and Detroit snow are completely different. I think it's more like Grand Rapids (lake effect snow from Lake Michigan).

You might be able to pick up some good used clothes at places like Goodwill. There's no shame in that. "New" doesn't always mean "warm" and/or "built well." I'm always amazed at how fast kids go through winter clothes, but I guess that comes from them wearing it every day.
Yeah very true...but I am thinking the kids' clothes will be too worn down to be much protection for them if they get theirs from goodwill...will Target have winter clothes for sale in May?

Considering we will have to be outdoors waiting on the bus, i don't mind skimping on sweaters and under-layers, but i am thinking i should not play myself at all with the outer main gear...you put snowpants in all caps and that never even crossed my mind, i figured wool pants and jeans and thermals would do it...so if i'll be outside more than average due to no car...excellent quality jackets and snowpants and snowboots are top priority...

Lol at the change in mindset from "if it will be a cold or just chilly winter" to "Detroit snow vs. TRAVERSE CITY snow"...seems like I'm moving to another planet. But thank god the option is there, else we'd be lost.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Actually you can find some very good sets of outerwear at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army, even childrens sizes. My Cousin and his wife live in the TC area and she gets most of their kids winter stuff at yard sales during the summer as well. Most of the stuff she finds are brand new or IF worn, they are worn very little. Snowpants for the kids without a doubt. If you plan on playing outside with them during the winter, you will need a set as well.

My wife is an RN, and even during these tougher times in Michigan she can go where she pleases in the state for a job.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM

98 posts, read 321,668 times
I think there is a 7-11 right across from the campus (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you could always go there for milk, bread, eggs - everyday items.

You will love TC! My parents live there and I recently got married there - so much beauty all over TC! The downtown is great too - oh, now I want to move there!

Good luck to you!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Yeah very true...but I am thinking the kids' clothes will be too worn down to be much protection for them if they get theirs from goodwill...will Target have winter clothes for sale in May?

Considering we will have to be outdoors waiting on the bus, i don't mind skimping on sweaters and under-layers, but i am thinking i should not play myself at all with the outer main gear...you put snowpants in all caps and that never even crossed my mind, i figured wool pants and jeans and thermals would do it...so if i'll be outside more than average due to no car...excellent quality jackets and snowpants and snowboots are top priority...

Lol at the change in mindset from "if it will be a cold or just chilly winter" to "Detroit snow vs. TRAVERSE CITY snow"...seems like I'm moving to another planet. But thank god the option is there, else we'd be lost.
Not to turn this into a snowpants thread, but oh well. The elementary school where our kids attend REQUIRES snowpants. They don't want the kids sitting around in wet clothes all day after playing out at recess apparently. But with snowpants, we don't bother having them wear thermal underwear. They'd just get too hot sitting in class anyway.

They will have a great time in the snow.

The places where we get most of the kids' clothes are Target, Children's Place, MCSports (they have an online store), and garage sales.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM

939 posts, read 2,683,849 times
MGD, good luck on your endeauvour! You'll do well with a nursing career up here. No shortage of employment opportunites either https://www.healthcaresource.com/mun...3d17452b3377e2

Also, do not let the winter scare you. Yes, it's cold and snowy but thanks to Lake Michigan, Traverse City does not experience the severe cold that you'll find in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, etc. During severe Arctic outbreaks, those areas can get down to the -20'sF. Traverse City proper rarely drops far below 0F thanks to Lake. Inland 20+ miles, yes , it can get that cold. The town does not shut down due to snow or cold either. Also, the summers up here are probably the best in the lower 48 in my opinion. Sunny skies almost constant from June through September, comfortable temps and humidity. If it does get very hot & muggy, rarely will it last more than a couple of days. Also, unlike other parts of the Midwest, severe thunderstorms are very rare up here as well. Again, thanks to the Lake. In short, good decision you are making and best of luck

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
MGD, good luck on your endeauvour! You'll do well with a nursing career up here. No shortage of employment opportunites either https://www.healthcaresource.com/mun...3d17452b3377e2

Also, do not let the winter scare you. Yes, it's cold and snowy but thanks to Lake Michigan, Traverse City does not experience the severe cold that you'll find in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, etc. During severe Arctic outbreaks, those areas can get down to the -20'sF. Traverse City proper rarely drops far below 0F thanks to Lake. Inland 20+ miles, yes , it can get that cold. The town does not shut down due to snow or cold either. Also, the summers up here are probably the best in the lower 48 in my opinion. Sunny skies almost constant from June through September, comfortable temps and humidity. If it does get very hot & muggy, rarely will it last more than a couple of days. Also, unlike other parts of the Midwest, severe thunderstorms are very rare up here as well. Again, thanks to the Lake. In short, good decision you are making and best of luck
I usually don't agree with a lot that Peter B says, but kudos for a fine post and one that is right on the money about the area. TC is a great place, and a good place to raise a family.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually you can find some very good sets of outerwear at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army, even childrens sizes. My Cousin and his wife live in the TC area and she gets most of their kids winter stuff at yard sales during the summer as well. Most of the stuff she finds are brand new or IF worn, they are worn very little. Snowpants for the kids without a doubt. If you plan on playing outside with them during the winter, you will need a set as well.

My wife is an RN, and even during these tougher times in Michigan she can go where she pleases in the state for a job.
See what I mean...as the sole breadwinner in my family, that's the kind of job I need right there...

Thanks for the news on Goodwill etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMovesSouth View Post
I think there is a 7-11 right across from the campus (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you could always go there for milk, bread, eggs - everyday items.

You will love TC! My parents live there and I recently got married there - so much beauty all over TC! The downtown is great too - oh, now I want to move there!

Good luck to you!
Thanks for that heads up on the 7-11!

Got married...sigh...maybe I will be so lucky. To remarry that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Great news! And good to know I may actually have a good shot at being able to STAY there with the RN training!

(It's also only 7 hours from Toronto...whenever I get to do a road trip again that's ON the list! I love road trips!)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I usually don't agree with a lot that Peter B says, but kudos for a fine post and one that is right on the money about the area. TC is a great place, and a good place to raise a family.
lol! I have seen the hard time he gets on the board about his ideas for "progress"...

Maybe I will meet some of you who are there at some point after I get there.

Glad to know my research skills that can't seem to get me a job at least do me a great job on planning ideal places to meet my variety of needs. (rolls eyes at self and the at-the-moment-useless-bachelors...I know it will come in handy later on though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan