Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
$30K a year is not a livable wage or acceptable for someone with two masters degrees. $30K a year will not put my kids through college, it won't pay my mortgage (any mortgage really unless we're talking a trailer), it won't buy good medical insurance (I'm sitting on over $2K of medical bills for my daughters recent accident), it won't allow me to save for retirement (my job has no pension either)...etc, etc, etc....

So how do you propose putting a roof over my kids heads, paying for college, saving for retirement and just keeping up with medical bills on only $30K? Sorry, doesn't work. I'm praying that children's hospital will allow me to make payments at this point and the last thing I need is another payment but my daughter needed surgery and my medical insurance sucks.
$30K is more than I was making for the first 4 years with my Master's degree. And right now you can buy a 3-bedroom place from a foreclosure list for less than you'd pay for a new car. You can't hold out for what you find acceptable; you have to work with what's available. Especially these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A homeless guy sleeping sitting up on a folding chair in the Detroit branch of the Salvation Army doesn't have it better. One out of every 50 people in the city is homeless. I'd rather be homeless in Japan; they have universal healthcare there at least and I wouldn't have to worry about dying because I couldn't get my prescriptions.
Japan is a third world country??????? Who knew??

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,590,149 times
Socialized medicine is not the answer. The government isn't even capable of wiping their own ass. You really went them in charge of your healthcare? That would be a total cluster****.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Socialized medicine is not the answer. The government isn't even capable of wiping their own ass. You really went them in charge of your healthcare? That would be a total cluster****.
Ask some veterans how well that works.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM

There are a LOT of other choices besides what we have now (speaking of cluster####s) and socialized medicine.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
$30K is more than I was making for the first 4 years with my Master's degree. And right now you can buy a 3-bedroom place from a foreclosure list for less than you'd pay for a new car. You can't hold out for what you find acceptable; you have to work with what's available. Especially these days.
Yeah, but what do I do with the house I'm in? It's a great time for first time home buyers but everyone else is SOL. If I can't sell what I'm in, I can't buy a house off of the foreclosure list now can I?

$30K may be more than you were making to start out but I'll bet it wasn't your permanent salary. It's one thing to start out low and work up. There are no pay increases other than cost of living in a charter school. This is my permanent wage if I stay so I can't stay.

I will find something acceptable. I have too much going for me not to. In the meantime, I'll take what I can get but I won't stop looking. I'm worth twice what I'm being paid and, someday, I'll make it.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
There are a LOT of other choices besides what we have now (speaking of cluster####s) and socialized medicine.
There is no perfect system. I'll take ours over socialized medicine any day. There are safety nets for the poor. What we lack are safety nets for the middle class but the middle class is quickly disappearing so that will take care of itself.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but what do I do with the house I'm in? It's a great time for first time home buyers but everyone else is SOL. If I can't sell what I'm in, I can't buy a house off of the foreclosure list now can I?

$30K may be more than you were making to start out but I'll bet it wasn't your permanent salary. It's one thing to start out low and work up. There are no pay increases other than cost of living in a charter school. This is my permanent wage if I stay so I can't stay.

I will find something acceptable. I have too much going for me not to. In the meantime, I'll take what I can get but I won't stop looking. I'm worth twice what I'm being paid and, someday, I'll make it.
At those first two jobs I could expect a 2% pay raise a year, if all went well.

During the Great Depression people found ways to cover their house notes. Like making the kids get jobs if they were old enough, or taking in boarders. They didn't ave the option of starting an eBusiness out of the house, either.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
At those first two jobs I could expect a 2% pay raise a year, if all went well.

During the Great Depression people found ways to cover their house notes. Like making the kids get jobs if they were old enough, or taking in boarders. They didn't ave the option of starting an eBusiness out of the house, either.
I will find a way to cover my house note. Not accepting $30K a year is a start. And no I'm not sending my kids to work to pay my bills. They're already going to get the bill for this stimulus plan. They have enough on their shoulders. This is on mine.

If you think $30K forever is enough, go for it. I don't and I won't settle for it. I have no idea why you're arguing I should? Set your own sights low. I'm not living on substistence level wages for the rest of my life even if it means leaving the country to find work. I'll take my engineering talents abroad before I'll settle for getting buy for the rest of my life. Once my husband retires, there's nothing to hold us here.

Fortunately, I have marketable skills. Just not marketable here. Michigan doesn't need teachers or engineers. We're exporting both. I'm on a 3 year count down. If I don't land a decent paying job before then, I'm outta here. Once my husband can draw social security, we'll take our savings and leave rather than live on what I make now. If this is all I'm worth to Michigan, I'm not staying. Not that Michigan cares. I'm just one of too many engineers and teachers in the state as it is. That's the problem. We have a glut of talent and not enough jobs. As more and more people and jobs leave the state, we'll need even fewer.

It's really not looking good for Michigan. Even if the auto makers survive, they'll be a much smaller piece of the pie than we're used to and we have nothing to fall back on. Makes me wish my husband could relocate now. Maybe my mother in law is right and I should just find a job in another state and we'll have two residences until my husband retires and can join me. I know I'm valuable elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM

62 posts, read 127,080 times
Quote:
Yeah, but what do I do with the house I'm in? It's a great time for first time home buyers but everyone else is SOL.
rent the house your in to cover your bank note, and move somewhere more affordable; i.e WITHIN YOUR MEANS. My mom had to, and she has two degrees...now, she's working at Wal-Mart...

these are tough times. People like you, who think they are "worth" more than you they are, are the reason we are all in this situation. I mean, you obviously AREN'T "worth" more, or else you would get it.

SO, go ahead an refuse to work for $30K a year...someone else would gladly take that, and support their family and make it work.

I'm sorry that your daughter had to have surgery - that sucks.

But your attitude that somehow you're above working for a minimal amount doesn't endear me to you.

at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan