Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM

20 posts, read 60,101 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a description of life in the Fenton area? I'm a smalltown girl who's been stuck between LA and San Diego for the last 10 years. Trying to leave has been like pulling teeth, its nearly impossible to save money down here.
We're all looking forward to a slower pace of life and maybe actually learning who our neighbors are.
We're looking to rent an apartment while we house-hunt and our rental range is max about $800 with some flexibility. My husband's job is moving him so we don't have to worry about a job search on top of the move. Just finding a good place for the kids to go to school and it has to be within about an hour of the airport.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Fenton is about an hour from the airport. I'm not sure what $800/month will get you though. It's kind of expensive out that way.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
My impression of Fenton is that there are mostly houses on big rural lots, not that many places to rent. Linden is a tiny bit more citified.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I don't know a whole lot about Linden and Fenton, but I grew up in Genesee county. $800 will rent you about anything in that county- even in the wealthy towns.
I actually have the opposite opinion as Cliffie- Linden is more small town than Fenton to me.

Regardless, if you can not find anything to rent around there, you can in Grand Blanc which is just up 23.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 60,101 times
So Fenton is far enough away from Flint that it doesn't reflect the bad neighborhood feel everyone seems to say Flint has? I've heard it described as the armpit of Michigan and wasn't sure if Fenton was going to be closer than we wanted. How are the schools/neighborhood attitudes/crime rates? We're also considering Grand Blanc and Holly.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Just my 2 cents, if I had to move to any of those cities it would be Grand Blanc.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Oh- Flint is only bad if you are actually in the city of Flint. There are actually even nice parts. Burton is not great for the most part, either. But, I grew up in Davison- just 5 miles from Burton (which people typically view as part of Flint) and it is super safe.
The only parts of Genesse county to 'worry' about is Flint, Burton and parts of Mount Morris (being close to the Beecher area makes parts of it sketchy).
Personally, I favor Davison, Goodrich or Flushing. Grand Blanc can be very 'uppity'. So can the Fenton area. I have heard people say that about Flushing and Davison as well, but have never seen it really. I worked for Kroger (Kessel) for 9 years and spent time in many stores, so I have dealt with people in all the areas.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM

227 posts, read 794,855 times
Fenton has dirt road country but not far from some shopping and stuff. Quaint little area.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM

68 posts, read 144,580 times
I live about 7 miles from Fenton and whoever said Linden is more "citified" is crazy. Fenton is a pretty big town with a nice downtown to boot. It's a decent little trip down 23 from Flint...you don't really get a lot of the Flint scene anywhere near Fenton unless you're in the old North Fenton area. The scene around Silver Lake Parkway is bustling with a newer Wal-Mart and tons of restaraunts. There are plenty of apartments for rent along that area in your price range. I can't think of the names but there is one complex behind the old Farmer Jack along Silver Lake Parkway and another one right across the street on Silver Lake Rd. Both are newer and close to the shopping and some of the nice restaurants like Lucky's Steakhouse. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 AM

81 posts, read 303,132 times
Ohhhh... did you see on the news that Foley Glen Apartments (by Silverlake Parkway... between Silver Lake Rd and Owen Road) had a huge fire??? OUch! Glad no one was killed!

Anyway... I grew up in Fenton... the area has certainly grown since I was there! "Old" downtown Fenton (called Dibbleville, which was Fenton's origianl name) is very charming... has an awesome pizza joint called Fenton House and nice Gazebo area by the pond. Also, French Laundry is a great place for lunch. Closer to US23 is where all of the "big box" stores are... as well as the High School and Middle school. Schools were great when I went there... good sports and extra curricular activities. Linden might be ranked better, now, though... have a friend who chose to send her kids to Linden. Linden's downtown area had a huge fire a few years back so it's not quite as nice anymore. Linden is definitely smaller and more rural than Fenton, but you can be in the country quickly in Fenton also. I would say that if you like small town feel with access to bigger stores... go for Fenton. If you like things a bit more rural... go for Linden.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan