Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,910 times

Advertisements

please send this information to the people that are against the uaw. visteon cut the pay right. are they uaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I forgot to get the mail yesterday. I should have left it in the box. My employer is cutting their contribution to my 401K which is their only contribution to my pension.

I shouldn't have opened my email either. A friend got notice, yesterday, that her company is cutting back to a 4 day work with and she's getting a 20% pay cut to go with it.

And happy new year to you too!!! AARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Can we get some GOOD news please?
Although it isn't a perfect situation, you ought to count your blessings at having a job at all.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
I have a rant also. My kids got 2 toys that did not work at Christmas. Of course they were made in China. I am so sick of this crap from China. My new years resolution is to try to buy everything I possibly can that says made in USA, but it is tough to find everything.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I have a rant also. My kids got 2 toys that did not work at Christmas. Of course they were made in China. I am so sick of this crap from China. My new years resolution is to try to buy everything I possibly can that says made in USA, but it is tough to find everything.
The packaging gauntlets on that crap from China is what gets me. Multiple layers of tape on top of twisty ties on top of cardboard locks! It's enough to drive a grown man to tears.

Is it impossible for toys and games to be built in America? I'd even pay more.

Sorry to hear about the job Ivory. I don't remember hearing anyone say 09 was going to be better for everyone all around. I think it's going to feel like ripping an old band-aid off for a lot of people.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
The packaging gauntlets on that crap from China is what gets me. Multiple layers of tape on top of twisty ties on top of cardboard locks! It's enough to drive a grown man to tears.

I hear ya. My 5 year old daughter got some cheap little plastic things for her hair each about 1/2" long, and even they were attached to the carboard with those plastic things, each one individually! I think someone got them at the dollar store...I mean seriously!
I would definately pay extra to have things made in the USA
Just today my wife was commenting on how long a crockpot she has, has lasted. I said probably made in the USA.....sure enough!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
please send this information to the people that are against the uaw. visteon cut the pay right. are they uaw.
No but the UAW is why they have to cut the non UAW employees pay. The union took so much there's nothing left.

This isn't the first time I've been in position where I earned less/ or knew of people who earned less because of union greed. To make a few rich, the rest of us pay. It SHOULD be the union taking the pay cut not the people who haven't enjoyed their high wages all along.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. My 5 year old daughter got some cheap little plastic things for her hair each about 1/2" long, and even they were attached to the carboard with those plastic things, each one individually! I think someone got them at the dollar store...I mean seriously!
I would definately pay extra to have things made in the USA
Just today my wife was commenting on how long a crockpot she has, has lasted. I said probably made in the USA.....sure enough!
Two words. WIRE CUTTERS. Quick, easy and you don't end up using words you shouldn't in front of your kids

Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsquirter View Post
You've got to be kidding! The country is headed toward a complete economic meltdown. The Coming Depression
Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine.

I sure hope not but high wages here have been driving manufacturing abroad for a long time and it's not just those jobs that go. All the support jobs here go with them. It's sad that some being greedy have cost the rest of us so much.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM

217 posts, read 592,362 times
Anyone know what the Michigan unemployment rules are involving hours getting cut? My hours are cut from 40-42 to 32-34 hours and will be this way for a couple more months at least? I know back 15 years ago I worked for Kmart and was able to get unemployment to make up for the loss of my hours in the wintertime.........

Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
No, it's going to be hard to find ANYTHING. We did this to ourselves. We wanted everything cheap and didn't care where it came from. Now it comes from everywhere but here and the prices will start going up now that there's no one left to undercut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan