Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM

17 posts, read 92,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
How is life now for you, especially living in Orange County--where I'm headed too? Do you think your experiences growing up have taught you how to be compassionate towards others, etc.? Just curious
I love Southern California. Things are a lot more...diverse out here. My husband and I found Michigan to be very stifling, both culturally and politically. It has its more cosmopolitan pockets, and we enjoyed living in Ann Arbor (go blue!), but we're definitely better suited to California living. The thing about Orange County is that it's split into two halves -- there's the "OC" half, which is rich, and white, and largely Republican. And then there's the other half I live closer to the poorer side of things, which is fine with me. You quickly learn to live with all kinds of people when moving to Southern California; it's part of what makes living here so much fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,069,501 times
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I have a huge X over California because of its cost of living and massive population density. But, if you can find a great job out there and if you don't mind the insane housing prices and the swarms of people, then go for it. It's certainly a picturesque state. I'd love to live there for the weather and the recreation, but for me the other quality of life items make it a no-go, at least not without a six-figure job offer.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,840 times
Quote:
I love Southern California. Things are a lot more...diverse out here. My husband and I found Michigan to be very stifling, both culturally and politically. It has its more cosmopolitan pockets, and we enjoyed living in Ann Arbor (go blue!), but we're definitely better suited to California living. The thing about Orange County is that it's split into two halves -- there's the "OC" half, which is rich, and white, and largely Republican. And then there's the other half I live closer to the poorer side of things, which is fine with me. You quickly learn to live with all kinds of people when moving to Southern California; it's part of what makes living here so much fun...
We're also Wolverines--went to school at UMich. undergrad. Ann Arbor is a great town. We'd consider moving there if we were going to stay in Michigan

I giggled about your two halves bit when talking about Orange County. We are in our 30's but kind of fall into the skater/surfer/punk thing, even though we could be 'yuppies' if we wanted to--but, we enjoy recreational toys and buying music for our iPods and traveling more than keeping up with the Joneses LOL. So, I can relate. I think we're "The Smiths"--a punk rock, extreme sports family that loves to travel, go to concerts, eat cheap Mexican food, wear Roxy/Quicksilver and flip flops, and walk on the beach for fun while saving money for retirement--ROTFL...I entertain myself, huh? LOL

But, back to Bloomfield Hills LOL...Most of all my friends and family from there ended up at medical school becoming doctors, as well as attending graduate school, etc. Some pretty brainiac people come of there At a recent cousin's wedding, hubby and I were the only ones at the table that had 'only' bachelors' degrees LOL

Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 25,685 times
If you're one of those rich people, don't come to michigan. Spend your money elsewhere, get a 4,000 ft^2 house instead of a 900 ft^2 house for your money, and don't be scared of putting your kids in a public school. Don't worry so much about checking the sex offender registry to make sure that your neighbors don't have cameras pointed out of their windows. Even in a gated community, your stuff will still end up at the local pawn shop and your children's photos on the internet.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,573 times
Bloomfield Hills is absolutely beautiful. So is West Bloomfield, Commerce Twp., Union Lake . . . actually anywhere in the "Lakes Area" of Oakland County. If you want to live in BH on a lake for a house that DOESN'T need any TLC (which usually means it's a dump and needs to be totally remodeled from the ground up) expect to pay between $750,000 and up. This won't get you a lot of house either. Probably around 1,500 to 2,000 square feet. Orchard Lake lake front will cost well over a million. Cass Lake is a close second. I drive from Commerce Twp. through Orchard Lake everyday on my commute to downtown Detroit. When the Lodge was opened, it was a one hour drive on a good day. Now, with the Lodge closed til November, I have to take all the back roads (Old Orchard Trail to Orchard Lake to Lone Pine to Woodward) and it take approximately 1 1/2 hours. Good luck with your house hunting!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestar View Post
If you're one of those rich people, don't come to michigan. Spend your money elsewhere, get a 4,000 ft^2 house instead of a 900 ft^2 house for your money, and don't be scared of putting your kids in a public school. Don't worry so much about checking the sex offender registry to make sure that your neighbors don't have cameras pointed out of their windows. Even in a gated community, your stuff will still end up at the local pawn shop and your children's photos on the internet.
New forum troll ?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 25,685 times
No; person who has lived in michigan in all of their life; WISE

thats all

Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 PM

39 posts, read 229,990 times
Bloomfield Hills is amazing. It maintains a small town feel, well because it is. However, it is centrally located in my opinion. However, I am 21 years old and have lived in West Bloomfield since I was 15 and I will say that I would prefer WB over BH. Mainly because West Bloomfield has 26 bodies of water!!! My subdivision has over 3 bodies of water, it is amazing. Please check it out

Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,452 times
I grew up in Bloomfield. I think it's a very nice place to raise children. Keep in mind the area is nearly entirely residential.

If you are looking for lakefront homes, look for homes on Orchard Lake or Pine Lake. There are nice lakefront homes around 16 and lahser, as well.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM

34 posts, read 167,703 times
is orchard lake or pine lake part of west bloomfield hills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan