Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,222 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the 2008 PGA Championship in Bloomfield Hills, MI this August. I understand Bloomfield Hills is a suburb of Detroit but what I want to know is what parts around there are safe? This information would be helpful when looking for a hotel to stay at. I don't want to spend alot of money on a hotel when I'm not going to be in the room except at night. Does anyone out there have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 AM

485 posts, read 967,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areav1197 View Post
I'm going to the 2008 PGA Championship in Bloomfield Hills, MI this August. I understand Bloomfield Hills is a suburb of Detroit but what I want to know is what parts around there are safe? This information would be helpful when looking for a hotel to stay at. I don't want to spend alot of money on a hotel when I'm not going to be in the room except at night. Does anyone out there have any advice?
Frankly, prices will be jacked up at surrounding hotels for the event. Anywhere that isn't in the direction of Detroit will be pretty safe but you might have to go a distance to get a reasonable rate.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM

78 posts, read 357,620 times
Mariott @ 3600 Centerpointe Pkwy, in Pontiac is only a couple miles from I-75and less than 10 to your PGA event.

Very nice hotel, easy to find. Reasonable rates thru priceline.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 AM

284 posts, read 1,658,315 times
Bloomfield Hills has one of the highest median incomes in the country ~ over $100k (US median is about $46k by comparison). Just trying to point out that it is an exclusive and, thus, safe area. Why else would they hold a PGA event there? For some reason people tend to think that everything within 50 miles of Detroit is some kind of burned out ghetto (even much of Detroit is not that way, fyi). Any hotel you choose near BH will be fine. There are a few of the more reasonably priced chains near Telegraph & 696 in Southfield. Then you'd just have a few miles up Telegraph to the golf course.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,456,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
Bloomfield Hills has one of the highest median incomes in the country ~ over $100k (US median is about $46k by comparison). Just trying to point out that it is an exclusive and, thus, safe area. Why else would they hold a PGA event there? For some reason people tend to think that everything within 50 miles of Detroit is some kind of burned out ghetto (even much of Detroit is not that way, fyi). Any hotel you choose near BH will be fine.
Much of it is long-held stereotypes, but some of it is due to the opinions of a small vocal minority. Read some of the sensational, ignorant posts on here about how you will die if you venture south of 20 Mile Rd.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,000 times
Default PGA in Bloomfield

I definitely recommend any hotels in Troy. There are some located by Somerset Mall, which is still close to the country club. You would pretty much want to stay in hotels that are local to the corporations. That is, if you are not planning on staying in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area. Pontiac is still a bit farther out compared to Troy. In Southfield, again you want to stay closer to the corporations-and lock your car doors! Remember "out of sight-out of mind"

Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM

695 posts, read 3,413,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
Bloomfield Hills has one of the highest median incomes in the country ~ over $100k (US median is about $46k by comparison). Just trying to point out that it is an exclusive and, thus, safe area. Why else would they hold a PGA event there? For some reason people tend to think that everything within 50 miles of Detroit is some kind of burned out ghetto (even much of Detroit is not that way, fyi). Any hotel you choose near BH will be fine. There are a few of the more reasonably priced chains near Telegraph & 696 in Southfield. Then you'd just have a few miles up Telegraph to the golf course.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlena View Post
I definitely recommend any hotels in Troy. There are some located by Somerset Mall, which is still close to the country club. You would pretty much want to stay in hotels that are local to the corporations. That is, if you are not planning on staying in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area. Pontiac is still a bit farther out compared to Troy. In Southfield, again you want to stay closer to the corporations-and lock your car doors! Remember "out of sight-out of mind"
Oh please. Southfield is not that bad....and neither is Pontiac around the Centerpoint Hotel area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan