Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan future, manufacturing jobs lost, new sources of business, dark and bleak future, human element or corporate bottom line, unemployment rates, jobs for immigrants and foreigners

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbertown View Post
Maybe Michigan should declare independence.

But seriously, we need to stop letting jobs go to the goddamn foreigners (Mexico). I know for a fact that it's not accomplishing what the companies want (quality product), so it's causing extra drain in money and resources - for example, having to redo parts (speaking from a factory/industry perspective, here - they mess up on working/reworking the parts so the customer sends them back and we're left holding the bill). To accomplish that, we need an action program, backed & allowable by law, that would enable us to say "no" to job loss. Bring back the jobs that got shipped out.

The problem is, govt. is no longer "of the people, by the people, for the people". It's controlled by greedy money-grubbers who think in dollar signs over quality of life for their future generations of descendants, who favor minorities and foreigners. Because of that, everything's going into the $hitcan. I'd say eliminate money but not sure that'd be enough. People have to change; they have to change what's in their hearts and what they care about. They have to start being responsible and having a serious outlook on the future. The system's broken. It isn't enough to sit on our asses whining about it. We have to get up and do something about it: Take action. I know that sounds like hype & rhetoric, not very detailed, but it's true. To save the future of Michigan, and the USA, and jobs, it has to start with the person being willing & able to identify the real source of the problem, then deal with it accordingly. Unfortunately, most people are just a bunch of lazy-asses who don't care that they're being eroded out of existence. Take this for example: Drive by a group of pickers in picking season, and notice that they're all Mexicans. What do you do? Shake your head and drive on. And that's why everything's going to hell. You have to be proactive & not let life happen TO you, but rather the other way around.

I'd also say protest, write letters, demand return of Michigan's jobs, which should work in theory, but won't in reality. You'll just be ignored (and soon possibly jailed for expressing free speech). Contrary to anyone's opinion, Granholm's in it for the money and the power, nothing else, and so is every other local congressman, representative, company exec, etc., etc.

Money is the be-all & end-all, as this week on Wall St. proved.
Wow. I respect your opinion but your post seems incredibly xenophobic and backward looking. Let's say politicians forced the companies to bring back jobs to Michigan from Mexico. Now, how are these companies going to compete against competitors who are still in low cost manufacturing countries? The answer is that they can't. They will eventually fold therefore not only losing the manufacturing jobs but the well-paying white collar jobs associated with headquarters/operations, etc. This is not the solution to Michigan's problems. Instead, the state should move on an embrace change. It should be attracting every immigrant to Michigan right now to increase the population and attract those that will be willing to build businesses in less than optimal areas such as inner cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Nothing is ever going to get better until the government cracks down on the rip-off industries like oil, healthcare, insurance, phramaceuticals etc and yes, immigration. I'm sure there are a handfull of immigrants coming here and starting businesses beneficial for the economy but for everyone of them there are a hundred coming over joining gangs, taking jobs, going to the emergency room and not paying for it, the negatives could go on and on. I watched a show the other nite about a California prison,of the 142 men in the gym, 121 of em where mexicans. How in the hell is that benefitting the USA?

Our "great healthcare system is the best in the world" they say, No it's the most expensive in the world. Companies can't afford to stay here and provide basic benefits anymore, change it.

The government and the greedy crooks dope us up on crap like wide screen tv's, xboxes, monday nite football, cabbage patch dolls,terrorism to distract us while they slowly chip away at turning this country into a third world police state.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz_sobriquet View Post
I think so many of you are wrong about Michigan.
Michigan is full of innovative rugged individualists. And I love that. Michigan will survive for those who see opportunity. Others will fail and leave--because obstacles are things a person sees when they take their eyes off their goal. That's fine by me. More Michigan for the rest of us that stay.

Michigan is absolutely beautiful. There are 10,000 lakes, and I just bought a forclosure cottage on one of them--absolutely fantastic price with all the expensive renovations already completed such as new windows, doors, roof, siding, and drywall, new bathroom, etc. And it's right outside of Ann Arbor, and in such a clean beautiful place with lake water that has never been infested with chemicals and junk.
Who says Michigan is a bad place? Only those who don't change with the changing tide. I saw opportunity and bought this cottage. I see opportunity in estate sales in Michigan--and I resell antiques. I saw opportunity and grasped it--and now when others are leaving I have purchased a second home in this beautiful place.
I may live somewhere else also at some point in my life--but I'll always keep my cottage and Michigan will always be home to me.
Michigan people can create their own jobs. Barter services with your neighbor. Live more off the land so to speak--because Michigan has it all. We don't need the stinkin' global economy. This place is a haven for nature lovers.
Become innovative and produce some product or service that your neighbors want or need. Learn to survive and thrive just as some did during the great depression. Change your views on what is important in life, and focus on good living right here in Michigan, and family, and friends, and you will be rich indeed. Laughter has no cost on the stock market, neither do good friends, nor good times, and such a beautiful place to surround yourself with, and there is no price-tag on Michigan.
Live smart. Get rid of credit cards and mortgages, and live in a place that you can afford and that you own. Try to (difficult now) sell your home that carries a mortgage and buy a forclosure cash like I did. Change your priorities and change your life. You and I can do little individually to change Washington--but we sure can make our homes and our state a paradise. Take pride in ownership and get to know your neighbors. I love the post from the person who said Michigan should cede from the union. Live as if it already has.
I really think Michigan has unlimited potential if the people in it learn to trade and barter between eachother, and provide services in exchange. I'm thinking more and more about this rugged individualist lifestyle. Buy an old boat and fix it up. Drill your own well--as I may soon be doing, because my cottage well is clogged possibly beyond repair. Learn how to be self-sufficient! Grow your own vegetables. Learn to descale a fish, clean your own duck. Take advantage of what is around you and free for the taking without stepping on anybody else's toes. It really can be done. Learn a new skill in fixing something that needs attention in your home instead of contracting everything out but changing light bulbs. Do it yourself!
The rest of the nation is new to the recession. Michigan people have been weathering a recession for years and years...and we're way ahead in the game of how to survive and live well.
I'm really proud of the people of this state.
Although I usually value everyone's opinion...this one was difficult at best for me to swallow. It is interesting to note that you not once described hardship in your experience here...how nice, contrary to the mere 10% who are unemployed, would balk at your bragging of purchasing several foreclosed properties, having "cash" to pay this and that. Even more noteworthy are the statements that be-little those who have chosen to leave this state in search of a better existence...many of my family members would be included in your "failure" list.

However, shall we call up all of those manufacturing workers (some 300,000) who fled from 2000-2006 and notify them that they to are failures? All of these fantastic ideas, given in a time when many Michigan families could care less about drilling their own well (or cleaning a duck) ......they know they will not have money to heat their homes this winter.
Most of the tips described in this article pertain to the established homeowner immune to having to work a 70 hour week to maintain his house, so he can go plant vegetables, scale his fish he catches on Saturday, and drills his own well on Sunday.
If the worries that bother your mind are about the well on your 2nd or 3rd home going out....you have no perception of what many Michigan families are going through at this moment. Sure..I'll do everything my self....as soon as everything becomes free in this economy and suddenly obtaining paper currency by my own labor is no longer required....then I can focus on all of these tips. Michigan [i]has[i] been weathering a recession for nearly a decade, but can we call those who left failures?

Rugged individualist? All of these you describe are the product of failure....going BACK in time, if so many people have to revert to growing their own d#%^ food because they cannot afford it, or drill their own well, then we as a state have failed our people, miserably. I'm proud of the people in this state as well, but the last thing I'll do is call my father a failure for moving to Texas to better his life

Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Although I usually value everyone's opinion...this one was difficult at best for me to swallow. It is interesting to note that you not once described hardship in your experience here...how nice, contrary to the mere 10% who are unemployed, would balk at your bragging of purchasing several foreclosed properties, having "cash" to pay this and that. Even more noteworthy are the statements that be-little those who have chosen to leave this state in search of a better existence...many of my family members would be included in your "failure" list.

However, shall we call up all of those manufacturing workers (some 300,000) who fled from 2000-2006 and notify them that they to are failures? All of these fantastic ideas, given in a time when many Michigan families could care less about drilling their own well (or cleaning a duck) ......they know they will not have money to heat their homes this winter.
Most of the tips described in this article pertain to the established homeowner immune to having to work a 70 hour week to maintain his house, so he can go plant vegetables, scale his fish he catches on Saturday, and drills his own well on Sunday.
If the worries that bother your mind are about the well on your 2nd or 3rd home going out....you have no perception of what many Michigan families are going through at this moment. Sure..I'll do everything my self....as soon as everything becomes free in this economy and suddenly obtaining paper currency by my own labor is no longer required....then I can focus on all of these tips. Michigan [i]has[i] been weathering a recession for nearly a decade, but can we call those who left failures?

Rugged individualist? All of these you describe are the product of failure....going BACK in time, if so many people have to revert to growing their own d#%^ food because they cannot afford it, or drill their own well, then we as a state have failed our people, miserably. I'm proud of the people in this state as well, but the last thing I'll do is call my father a failure for moving to Texas to better his life

+1 rep to you! I like your post. Good reply.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
+1 rep to you! I like your post. Good reply.
I liked it as well! another 3 points from me for a damn fine post.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
Quote:

Thank you for your response - I attempted to, but I couldn't have put it better. Just not realistic -- people are wondering how to not only pay for heat, but gas, the high property taxes, and water bills. After moving out of state I'm shocked at how much less property taxes and utility bills can be in other parts of the country. People are leaving the state of MI -- not because they don't love it, but it's because that's whats needed to do in order to take care of themselves and their family -- trust me it's not an easy thing to do, it takes a lot of strength to uproot your family and relocate (JMO), knowing darn well you're going to practically give your house away -- losing any equity you had in the home, and in essence starting your life over.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
Thank you for your response - I attempted to, but I couldn't have put it better. Just not realistic -- people are wondering how to not only pay for heat, but gas, the high property taxes, and water bills. After moving out of state I'm shocked at how much less property taxes and utility bills can be in other parts of the country. People are leaving the state of MI -- not because they don't love it, but it's because that's whats needed to do in order to take care of themselves and their family -- trust me it's not an easy thing to do, it takes a lot of strength to uproot your family and relocate (JMO), knowing darn well you're going to practically give your house away -- losing any equity you had in the home, and in essence starting your life over.
You said this well, too. I, too, had to leave MI for employment. (my husbands) I have lived in MI my whole life and while I do not like gray skies and winter, my family is there, my roots are there. Three of my children are there and I just found out 2 of them are pregnant!! So, yeah, this is so hard.

I could not sell my home-my daughter is helping out with it, but she can't afford the whole mtg, so that means we pay here and there! It is not an easy thing to do.

My parents are getting older and I still have g'parents there in their 90s. Of course we will go back for the holidays, which is another expense.

The only positive is that my husband is lucky to have a good paying job and I actually like living here in NV. My 14 yo daughter-not so much and she wants to go back.

It just brings out so much more conflict in your mind. It also makes me sad for MI and angry at the powers-that-be. No point in defending it (and I am not talking about the beauty-we Michiganders KNOW that is there) when you are living proof that it is a state in trouble.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
Default We are in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
You said this well, too. I, too, had to leave MI for employment. (my husbands) I have lived in MI my whole life and while I do not like gray skies and winter, my family is there, my roots are there. Three of my children are there and I just found out 2 of them are pregnant!! So, yeah, this is so hard.

I could not sell my home-my daughter is helping out with it, but she can't afford the whole mtg, so that means we pay here and there! It is not an easy thing to do.

My parents are getting older and I still have g'parents there in their 90s. Of course we will go back for the holidays, which is another expense.

The only positive is that my husband is lucky to have a good paying job and I actually like living here in NV. My 14 yo daughter-not so much and she wants to go back.

It just brings out so much more conflict in your mind. It also makes me sad for MI and angry at the powers-that-be. No point in defending it (and I am not talking about the beauty-we Michiganders KNOW that is there) when you are living proof that it is a state in trouble.
We also left all of our family, my mother-in-law and mother were both widow within the last year, and it was so difficult for us to leave them at this time in their life, it breaks my heart -- thank goodness we have the rest of our family in MI to make sure they're okay, it's still not the same.

I also am so THANKFUL my husband got a job after looking for 10 months, though none of us wanted to relocate -- it was a JOB. We are still paying our mortgage in MI, along with rent here, double the utilities -- it's very difficult, and now we may have to entertain a short sale - or take a loan to sell our house in MI.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, I miss MI, my family -- my home.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 AM

66 posts, read 236,285 times
I prefer foreign cars and DEMAND that Michigan diversify its economy or die a swift death.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
I prefer foreign cars and DEMAND that Michigan diversify its economy or die a swift death.

Then, by all means, move somewhere foreign and don't you worry yourself over Michigan. I am sure she won't miss one more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan