Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,457,685 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been back in my beloved Michigan for over a year now, and I still have no regrets about coming back. I love this state with all my heart, and am very happy to have had the chance to live "up north", as I have long dreamed about doing.

That said, I must admit I am growing a bit restless up here as a 39 year old single guy. The dating scene here is weak, and most of the women between 30-40 are married, extremely overweight, or divorced with tons of baggage. With the population of the region being so small, there just isn't a lot to choose from.

I also have to say that I miss living within an hour of a major metro area, which I didn't think would happen when I moved here. I travel a good bit, and the 3 and 4 hour drives just to get to the airports downstate are killing me. Everytime a friend or family member comes to visit, it's a day long affair just to pick them up & bring them home.

I miss being able to go to one of the major sporting events or concerts without having to plan a trip around it, too. I never did make it to a Wings game last year, which still bothers me to this moment.

If I were married and was about to start a family, I don't think I could be in a better spot than I am up here. But I'm not, and as beautiful as it is here, I must be honest and say that I'm getting bored more and more often. It's really started to mess with my head.

I signed a 2 year contract to work at the hospital here, which expires in June of next year. I am seriously thinking about moving downstate to either Ann Arbor or Oakland County at that time. I very much want to stay in Michigan, as I was born here and I want to die here. I want to contribute to this states recovery by continuing to live and work here. It may seem early to be planning amove almost a year away, but take it from someone who's done it before, you can't plan far enough in advance the way time flies as you get older!

I'd be thankful to hear from anyone else who has been in a similar situation, or who could offer advice on living in the aforementioned areas downstate.... especially singles in my age group. I'm particularly interested to know more about Ann Arbor in correlation with someone my age making a life there. I've been told AA is much more than just a college town these days, and I love it's proximity to Detroit where a good portion of my family resides.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Well, I've been back in my beloved Michigan for over a year now, and I still have no regrets about coming back. I love this state with all my heart, and am very happy to have had the chance to live "up north", as I have long dreamed about doing.

That said, I must admit I am growing a bit restless up here as a 39 year old single guy. The dating scene here is weak, and most of the women between 30-40 are married, extremely overweight, or divorced with tons of baggage. With the population of the region being so small, there just isn't a lot to choose from.

I also have to say that I miss living within an hour of a major metro area, which I didn't think would happen when I moved here. I travel a good bit, and the 3 and 4 hour drives just to get to the airports downstate are killing me. Everytime a friend or family member comes to visit, it's a day long affair just to pick them up & bring them home.

I miss being able to go to one of the major sporting events or concerts without having to plan a trip around it, too. I never did make it to a Wings game last year, which still bothers me to this moment.

If I were married and was about to start a family, I don't think I could be in a better spot than I am up here. But I'm not, and as beautiful as it is here, I must be honest and say that I'm getting bored more and more often. It's really started to mess with my head.

I signed a 2 year contract to work at the hospital here, which expires in June of next year. I am seriously thinking about moving downstate to either Ann Arbor or Oakland County at that time. I very much want to stay in Michigan, as I was born here and I want to die here. I want to contribute to this states recovery by continuing to live and work here. It may seem early to be planning amove almost a year away, but take it from someone who's done it before, you can't plan far enough in advance the way time flies as you get older!

I'd be thankful to hear from anyone else who has been in a similar situation, or who could offer advice on living in the aforementioned areas downstate.... especially singles in my age group. I'm particularly interested to know more about Ann Arbor in correlation with someone my age making a life there. I've been told AA is much more than just a college town these days, and I love it's proximity to Detroit where a good portion of my family resides.

Thanks in advance!
If you want to move to Oakland County I would suggest Ferndale, if you do not feel comfortable being on the Detroit city border I would then suggest Royal Oak (north of Ferndale) any of the adjacent suburbs around Royal Oak and Ferndale are also nice including Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods, and Berkley. They are all known as the Oakland county suburbs that are attractive to the younger group. The drive to downtown Detroit is very nice also in these areas ranging from 20-30 min. Some info on Ann Arbor (A2) it is much more than a college town these days attracting people to its downtown from the outlying cities and villages. Both in A2 and the Oakland County suburbs I mentioned you will find a lot of night life and singles.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM

749 posts, read 2,773,840 times
Downstate.....yuck! Good luck with that!

Besides, if you go, who will tell me which places are good to eat at in Petoskey! We loved Thai Orchid, been back there twice already!

Last edited by Michigansnowflake; 07-29-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Ahhhh, welcome back, Snowflake....... where ya been?

Nothing is set in stone......like I said, I really can't do anything until next June anyway. I'm just checking into possible scenarios. I do love it up here.... anyone that has read my posts knows that. I was pretty much thinking out loud with that last one.

I actually hope I don't have to move again. I've moved 3 times in the past 3 years and I am sick of it.

Just the same, I'm gathering info and advice in case it does come to that.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM

284 posts, read 1,017,373 times
You are on the right track. The best place for singles is Ann Arbor and Royal Oak/Ferndale. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM

749 posts, read 2,773,840 times
Hey Northman, I've been around, busy playing outside and hitting the fairs and festivals, enjoying the weather.

We went down state 2 weeks ago for a grad party. Oh it was so hot and humid and miserable. So much cement and cars and roads and people *shrudder* It was so nice to get back home, a good 15 degrees cooler, peaceful, beautiful........I sure couldnt live downstate again....Good Luck to ya if that what you decide, but I hope you dont!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Hey Northman, I've been around, busy playing outside and hitting the fairs and festivals, enjoying the weather.

We went down state 2 weeks ago for a grad party. Oh it was so hot and humid and miserable. So much cement and cars and roads and people *shrudder* It was so nice to get back home, a good 15 degrees cooler, peaceful, beautiful........I sure couldnt live downstate again....Good Luck to ya if that what you decide, but I hope you dont!
Yeah, that's all fine and good until winter hits! The winters here are much more mild than when I lived up north. Almost a night and day difference! I have to say though, the heat and humidity you experienced down here must have been a fluke. Overall it's been a pretty mild summer, which is kind of disappointing after such an unusually harsh winter.

I do admit it is much prettier up north than most of the city life, but in northern suburbs like Bloomfield Hills and Rochester Hills, you'd be surprised by its very north-like qualities without all the desolation, bugs and extreme weather conditions.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Yeah, that's all fine and good until winter hits! The winters here are much more mild than when I lived up north. Almost a night and day difference! I have to say though, the heat and humidity you experienced down here must have been a fluke. Overall it's been a pretty mild summer, which is kind of disappointing after such an unusually harsh winter.

I do admit it is much prettier up north than most of the city life, but in northern suburbs like Bloomfield Hills and Rochester Hills, you'd be surprised by its very north-like qualities without all the desolation, bugs and extreme weather conditions.
I used to live in the Milford/White Lake area when I was young, and it was very much a semi-rural setting on the fringes of a big metro area, and remains that way to this day from what I saw when I was down there last year. That is actually more of the area I had in mind when I mentioned Oakland County. Still have many old friends living out there.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I used to live in the Milford/White Lake area when I was young, and it was very much a semi-rural setting on the fringes of a big metro area, and remains that way to this day from what I saw when I was down there last year. That is actually more of the area I had in mind when I mentioned Oakland County. Still have many old friends living out there.
You'll definitely want to check out Lake Orion too then! There are also a lot of nice lakes and nature around Waterford, but be sure to look on the side furthest from Pontiac.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 63,369 times
Try Wyandotte area you have Henryford hospital here and close but not to close to downtown and oly 20mins for Canada and VERY LOW crime ....so much to do every third Friday the have stuff going on Downtown Wyandotte .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan