Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times

Advertisements

Malamute, if someone has been paying in for twenty or thirty years, and has not been on unemployment before, they probably have paid in more than enough,

Maybe we would be better off asking such questions about people who make welfare a lifestyle instead of those who want to work but can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Malamute, if someone has been paying in for twenty or thirty years, and has not been on unemployment before, they probably have paid in more than enough,

Maybe we would be better off asking such questions about people who make welfare a lifestyle instead of those who want to work but can't find a job.

It's too bad they don't just make individual accounts for everyone -- but most likely the money of those who worked 20 or 30 years straight went to provide the unemployment benefits of someone who worked 6 months now and then and took unemployment quite often.

It probably comes down to the money not being there to extend unemployment benefits, the state would have to raise a tax of some kind and that would hurt someone else.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM

62 posts, read 181,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But did you pay enough into the system to justify taking out many more months?

The government does not make money, it only confiscates the money of working people. Reality means if you have been collecting unemployment for many months and jobs aren't falling out of the sky at your previous wages, they probably aren't going to start falling on you after a number of more months.

It's bad to stay unemployed for a long length of time. Employers will look for long job gaps on the resume and assume that working wasn't a number one priority of the applicant.

At some point reality means accepting a lower wage or moving on.

Again, are you serious? You think 10$/hr is what? most likely what I was preivously making after 13yrs in my field? Not hardly. I'm currently willing to work for literally less than what unemployment is paying per week. That is less than 40% of what I was making just 6mo ago. Is that enough of a cut for you?

Are you somehow under the impression that there are just tons of jobs at the low range and people are turning them down? In this economy do you honestly think anyone with any sort of pride or working experience would turn down ANY job offer? Not hardly.

When people are lined up by the hundreds to stand in the sun for hours waiting to get into job fairs, they aren't doing so thinking they are getting some high paying job !

Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
Default Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits ARE NOT paid in by the employee! Only Employers pay for this by a tax imposed on them.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM

336 posts, read 908,733 times
I'm not sure what you mean by there being no unemployment extension in MI. I called about it yesterday and the application should be here tomorrow.

Before anyone slams me for being on unemployment, I'm 30 years old and have been working non-stop since I was 17. Additionally, I substitute teach, but since school is out for the summer it's kind of hard to do that.

Really Malamute, you shouldn't knock people when you don't know their situation. It's not like we are people who continually produce children so they can live off the welfare system.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Tricia, at the time the original post was made, the extension had not been approved.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post

I've never collected unemployment, I would do what it takes to get a job if I lost one and I think figuring that if you worked 20 or 30 years so it's time to get something back could be a bad approach because after a certain age, large umemployment gaps could hurt you. I can't see how not working is an option. You just end up with a bad resume, you lose out on the networking required to advance.

If I had to move to another state in order to work, that's what I would do, but life is all about choices.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pyrz View Post
Again, are you serious? You think 10$/hr is what? most likely what I was preivously making after 13yrs in my field? Not hardly. I'm currently willing to work for literally less than what unemployment is paying per week. That is less than 40% of what I was making just 6mo ago. Is that enough of a cut for you?

Are you somehow under the impression that there are just tons of jobs at the low range and people are turning them down? In this economy do you honestly think anyone with any sort of pride or working experience would turn down ANY job offer? Not hardly.

When people are lined up by the hundreds to stand in the sun for hours waiting to get into job fairs, they aren't doing so thinking they are getting some high paying job !

I'm not disagreeing that there might be job shortages, but how beneficial it is in the long run to go on collecting unemployment.

Whats different in a few more months? What do you gain by staying unemployed that much longer? Does anyone believe the jobs are going to call anyone back once the extention runs out?

In a competetive market, how does it benefit you in an interview to explain job gaps that are abnormally big? Even to have job skills grow rusty after months of non-use, I just don't see how extentions of unemployment will ultimately do much good. Those who want to work will relocate or whatever it takes and I don't see what's bringing those jobs back anytime soon.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Malamute, I am moving to another state actually, as soon as my house is sold. If all goes well, we should close by the middle of Aug. :-)

Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 AM

336 posts, read 908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If I had to move to another state in order to work, that's what I would do, but life is all about choices.
Moving isn't always an option. Many people, myself included, have responsibilities here. For example, elderly parents who rely on them for a large portion of their care. On top of which, I'm not about to ruin my credit by abandoning a house I cannot sell. Sometimes the right thing to do is to stick it out until something changes.

If you cannot find work, volunteering can prevent large gaps in employment, looks good on a resume, and keeps your skills "fresh".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: