Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 PM

580 posts, read 1,686,425 times

Advertisements

Lately in Lansing I couldnt but help to notice all the new construction happening in downtown Lansing. To me it seems like Lansing downtown is improving/ growing in a positive way. It wasnt too long ago when it seem like only Grand Rapids was improving, but I notice Lansing is as well.
Questions:
1. Anyone know where I can find more information on Lansing Downtown?

2. Anyone excited about the new construction? ( Any certain construction in particular? )

3. Is Lansing overall population growing or decreasing?

4. How is East Lansing going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM

The latest information that I can find is : Develop » Home
Also according to city-data.com/forum Lansing population is decreasing but that was accoriding to 2005-2006. I have been hearing a few information about East Lansing new construction udergoing soon, and many people seem to be excited about it as well.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 PM

The latest information that I can find is : Develop » Home
Also according to city-data.com/forum Lansing population is decreasing but that was accoriding to 2005-2006. I have been hearing a few information about East Lansing new construction udergoing soon, and many people seem to be excited about it as well.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM

222 posts, read 813,638 times
Default Lansing Losing Population

In answer to your third question:

Is Lansing overall population growing or decreasing?

The answer, unfortunately, is that it is decreasing. According to the Census Bureau, Ingham County (where most of Lansing/East Lansing is) lost about 1% between 2000 and 2006. While not a big drop, it is part of steady decline both locally and statewide. As the jobs go, so do the people.

The proble with all that construction (especially for condos and housing units downtown) is that there are already more houses than people in Lansing. If they keep building and people keep leaving, then that imbalance will increase and it is likely housing prices will continue to fall (Lansing is already one of the most affordable housing markets in the country) and likely stay there for a while.

Would I buy a condo in downtown Lansing right now? (Not that anyone is specifically asking, but it seemed implied in your questions.) Only if you plan to live there for 10 plus years and are willing to risk losing your down payment in the process. If you are looking to buy because it looks like a hot market right now and then resell it for a profit in a few years, I would rethink that idea or get a lot more info than we can provide you here.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Yeah, I notice they are starting to build/ I heard new apartment buildings downtown.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM

693 posts, read 2,265,528 times
I applaud Virg for everything he has done, being younger than many past leaders he has exemplified what should be done in a struggling state. Like many other cities in Michigan, Lansing wasn't changing much until he took office, it is unfortunate other cities do not have the leadership Lansing has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan