Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM

6 posts, read 21,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
I work in that area too and I live in Sterling Heights just south of M-59. My commute is about 18 min. We chose this location for the ammenities and the schools. My kids are in elementary school and I'm very pleased with the Utica schools. A lot of people that work in the Tech Center live in this area. We live in a newer sub and there are a lot of families with young children.
Also check out Troy. The schools are excellent and the commute is similar. Just north are Rochester Hills and Shelby which are also very nice but will add a few minutes to your commute.
Sterling Heights is beginning to stand out. In your travels have you seen any houses available for rent?
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I moved here from Texas last June. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Warren area! I know others on here will give you great advice, though.

Fortunately for you, you've moved around a few times, so this shouldn't be so bad for you. I know Kansas doesn't get as much snow as Michigan, but it is certainly worse than Houston, so I think you'll be OK!

I'm happy to answer any moving questions, if you have them. But I'll leave the "which areas are best" questions to the people on here that are more in the know of the area!

Good luck with your move.
Yep, we know our way around a Uhaul, but now-a-days RELOC takes care of all that. I'm not going to attempt to compare kansas to MI, but this winter was hard for us too, on top of that. It won't go away. It keeps coming back. Like Be-Be's kids!

When I was in Detroit last month it was warmer there then in KS!

Thanks for being available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshannon8 View Post
I just joined here, however, wanted to give you my input. Some places in Warren are not the best areas in Warren, however, my daughter went to East Detroit Schools which is what are located right around 9.5 and Schoenherr and they are VERY good schools. I have also heard that the schools in N Warren which is where the Tech Center is are very good schools. So maybe like 11 and Hoover area is VERY nice, N of 10 and Schoenherr is nice. I think you should be fine, and the homes are inexpensive also. Just a little bit of my experience Kristin
I maybe wrong but, I just had to give the benefit of the doubt to the schools near the Tech Center, I mean they must be getting some funds from the Taxes that GM pays?? Why wouldn't they be up to/above par?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-bear View Post
Give a look at Troy. Great schools, good city services, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. Stay away from Warren. The city is going downhill, if it hasn't already. My friends and I have a saying, "Life's to short to live in Warren."
That's one hell of a saying, it speaks volumes. I really would like to rent 1st so we can get there and have a looksy before making a permanent decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 PM

188 posts, read 608,380 times
My mom has a pretty decent tri-level in Fraser that she's probably going to be selling shortly. She hasn't lived there in a few years. My wife and I did for a while and then my ex lived there with her family (don't ask!). It's on a quiet street, great neighborhood. 13/Groesbeck area. China King is right around the corner too! (Say hi to Chinaman Jack for me if you ever go there...)

It's about 10 mins to the tech center and you get to avoid rush hour on 696. If you're interested, pm me and I'll put you in touch with her. She'd more than likely be willing to do a rent to own.

Fraser schools are top notch. Warren is a dump. Eastpointe is a dump. Harperwoods is a dump anymore. Grose Pointe is right there, but you have to drive through the ghetto to get there from the e-way. St. Claire Shores is nice though. About 15-20 mins in traffic to the tech center. Not too sure about their schools though. The hood is working it's way in there last I knew.

Welcome to Michigan (good luck here). Thank god for GM or I'd be out of work too! (I'm a contractor - NON union, another thank god moment there)

PS - NEVER give any money to Hansons' Windows and Siding. They are a bunch of drug peddling hacks who are more than willing to cut off someone's legs to make a quick buck. Just a tip for homeowners out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan