Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
You might have had more snow at that particular time, but I highly doubt you had more snow for the whole of winter....and why do people who come from downstate expect 24/7 entertainment and excitement of a big city? Thats why we live here, we dont want all the *big city* crap....the town might have been quiet, I bet everyone was snowmobling, ice fishing, sking , or bundled up around a fire, cant do those in town
Actually, I was not complaining at all. I loved it and yes, there was a snowmobile tournament going on somewhere north of there. My sister and I ended up going to the local hotspot and had a great time. The people we met said it was usually much more busy there on a Sat. night but because of the tournament it was quiet. That suited us just fine. If I wanted the opposite, you are right, I would have stayed in the city.

And I only made the comment about the snow because I thought it was rare and odd. I know that the north gets much more than us and that is another reason why I choose to keep the north for "visitation" only. Other than the amount of cold and snow the north gets, I absolutely love it and have traveled all over MI my whole life. We couldn't afford big Disney trips so up north camping was it. We never missed the bigger trips.

I did read your next thread and it's ok, I know how it can get to defend something that you are passionate about. Just wanted to clear up that I am on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 74,362 times
My husband and I considered moving to Michigan last year, but he was too afraid we wouldn't find jobs. We inspect houses for mortgage companies when folks default on the payments. I know Michigan has a higher rate of foreclosure than any other state, so it should be a great place to find a job. Husband says we'd be taking a job away from someone else. I say he's just afraid to move from Texas. Short of marriage counseling, I don't know if we can settle this. I grew up in Michigan, he in Texas. I really don't like Texas! Way too hot in the summer. Someone, please, tell me what to say to him!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Say: Are you coming? Get in the car!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
....and I think people of Northern Michigan embrace winter a heck of a lot more and better than the people of SE MI
Please keep in mind that winter in SE Michigan is very different than in the tip of the mitt or in the UP. I used to date the city manager from a town in the Keweenaw. He wore nothing more than a windbreaker all winter and could barely stand to come down to Detroit/Ann Arbor for conferences. The reason was the difference in humidity, it is much drier Up North. Even though the temperature may be lower Up North, the humidity in SE Michigan makes the cold much more bone-chilling. I found this to be true when I moved to NE Michigan. Every member of my family who has lived in both SE Michigan and Up North has commented on the same thing at some point.

I am not negating anything you said, I am just pointing out a difference that isn't often acknowledged.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 74,362 times
LOL I don't know if I'd dare say that to a Texan who is so rooted in Fort Worth. They think it's better. It's not. The summers are unbearable, and the winters are grey/brown, not to mention tornado season. Do you think we'd be able to get jobs in the home inspection field? We inspect homes for mortgage companies when the buyer defaults on payments. We have our own company, but work as subcontractors for other field services. What say you?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,339 times
Hmm... Not sure where you got your information on the humdity. Check out the city-data info for Houghton (Keweenaw) and Detroit. There's no significant difference between the two. I've lived in Houghton, Boyne City, Grand Rapids, and Lansing areas. I've never noticed a difference in relative humidity. If anything, I'd expect the snow belt areas to have higher humidity because of all the precip that falls and melts. It's simply colder up north and people have learned to deal with it -- the more urban areas just seem to be more accustomed to an easier lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Please keep in mind that winter in SE Michigan is very different than in the tip of the mitt or in the UP. I used to date the city manager from a town in the Keweenaw. He wore nothing more than a windbreaker all winter and could barely stand to come down to Detroit/Ann Arbor for conferences. The reason was the difference in humidity, it is much drier Up North. Even though the temperature may be lower Up North, the humidity in SE Michigan makes the cold much more bone-chilling. I found this to be true when I moved to NE Michigan. Every member of my family who has lived in both SE Michigan and Up North has commented on the same thing at some point.

I am not negating anything you said, I am just pointing out a difference that isn't often acknowledged.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,909 times
Yes there is a difference. There are different types of snow, and they carry different amounts of water in them, ever heard of lake effect snow? Traverse City gets lots of lake effect, but was in such a drought that the area had its first spring forest fire in January a couple of years back. My brother is a MI DNR forestor and is a strike team leader for fighting forest fires. I've gotten quite an education from listening to him talk about his job.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,483 times
Well, there sure isnt less humidity in Charlevoix, we get tons of lake effect snow and we live in a small valley, its dripping wet here, winter and summer. I am sure it has to do with living in a valley though.

I actually feel the cold more when the temps get around 30-40 cause the humidity goes up and it feels damp and bone chilling. When it gets in the 20's is when its dry

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeefromAzle View Post
LOL I don't know if I'd dare say that to a Texan who is so rooted in Fort Worth. They think it's better. It's not. The summers are unbearable, and the winters are grey/brown, not to mention tornado season. Do you think we'd be able to get jobs in the home inspection field? We inspect homes for mortgage companies when the buyer defaults on payments. We have our own company, but work as subcontractors for other field services. What say you?
Has he ever been to MI? (You may have mentioned it, I didn't go all the way back-sorry)

Maybe he should just experience it for a while, I mean fair is fair, right? You have done Texas, it is his turn.

Not sure about the opportunities in that field. Seems with all the foreclosures, there may be opportunity. Maybe someone else here knows.

Good luck with that! I may be moving to Vegas due to hubbys work and I face the same thing with the heat although I hear that TX is more humid. I say the same thing about spending 6 mos in house during cold or heat-what's the diff? Only real difference I see is that it will be sunny and I feel happy when the sun is out. But maybe that is because we have so many cloudy days and it balances that out. When clouds are gone, who knows, I just may really miss them. Or a rainy day. I think the appreciation of something is greater when it is not there all the time. Time will tell.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Has he ever been to MI? (You may have mentioned it, I didn't go all the way back-sorry)

Maybe he should just experience it for a while, I mean fair is fair, right? You have done Texas, it is his turn.

Not sure about the opportunities in that field. Seems with all the foreclosures, there may be opportunity. Maybe someone else here knows.

Good luck with that! I may be moving to Vegas due to hubbys work and I face the same thing with the heat although I hear that TX is more humid. I say the same thing about spending 6 mos in house during cold or heat-what's the diff? Only real difference I see is that it will be sunny and I feel happy when the sun is out. But maybe that is because we have so many cloudy days and it balances that out. When clouds are gone, who knows, I just may really miss them. Or a rainy day. I think the appreciation of something is greater when it is not there all the time. Time will tell.
I tried moving to Phoenix for work and I thought what you did about 6 months inside, but it's just not the same. The summer days are sooo long and it doesn't even cool down at night, and because the summer days are long people want to be outside more, but it's too miserable out there. There are many warmer days during winter where with a coat you can be comfortable outside in MI. The desert heat never ends. I lived in Vegas for 6 weeks during the winter and it was very cold so you do get cold weather there too.

I'm sorry, I guess this isn't very helpful since you have to move for work, but that was my experience. I hope you have a better experience, I really HATE hot weather so you might have the opposite experience.

Last edited by detshen; 05-28-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan