Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Paying a line worker $150,000 with overtime is institutionalized Corruption!
This is not going to happen much longer, IMHO...there are changes in the world economy and less industrialization, not to mention the disintegration of Corporate America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Well, if they're making $65.00 to $70.00 / hr, good for them. It's not a problem for me because I don't buy new cars.
If it has an effect on the prices of new cars, it would also affect the prices of used cars.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,312 times
Default Big Money

Line works do not make that kind of money skilled trade that live in the plant and never go home make over 100k what kind of life is that !

Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureth View Post
Is the average wage (including benefits) that a Line worker makes at American Axle. No wonder cars cost $35,000... Paying a line worker $150,000 with overtime is institutionalized Corruption!
i'm a year late on this post. but i don't believe there is a such thing as a LINE WORKER in all of american axle.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
I live in Three Rivers, less than one mile from American Axle. I can guarantee you that the aveage wage is NOT $75 an hour, not even close. The pay is good, but it's not that good. I would guess it's anywhere from $16-30/hr, depending on experience.

Also, to echo previous posters, I would rather see "line workers" get that much money and those jobs stay in Three Rivers, than see their jobs get shipped to China where workers make $5/week, all so greedy CEOs can add an extra $10 million to their fat bonuses. We need factory jobs here, this "service economy" just isn't cutting it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Health Insurance is included in there high numbers that are being talked about out there. Unless we fix the high cost of health care , nothing will get better. Universal health care for all , auto workers included will take a big load off the price of auto building.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Default Remember when

Any one here old enough to remember:

Getting fired because you could not work 16 hours today.

Not having medical and getting fired because you were hurt on the job

No vacations

NO OVERTIME EVER

The sit down strikes in Flint

I AM TIRED of the working people taking S#!T for making a LIVING WAGE.

Who is making $60 hour? If you are talking WAGE+BENEFITS+workers comp+unemployment then yes..

That is called the cost of doing business.

The working people at these crappy jobs make like $25-30 ish an hour..

If you think that is UNFAIR then why don't you apply for the work?

Because it is beneath you? If they are making $150K with overtime wny don't you get yours?

BECAUSE THE JOB IS TOO STRESSFUL?

WHAT THEN?

As another poster said, cars made n Mexico or Japan still cost $30K...and the employees there are making what? $50 hr?? NOT...

How many idiots at the manufacturing plants are making 7 figure salaries?

IDIOTS as in college educated MBAs...

I am tired of hearing how they are the ones who take the risk..how can they be taking a risk if they are supposed to know what they are doing>

IT AIN"T EVEN THEIR MONEY...and they defend $10 MILLION incomes and twice that in bonuses??

And there are how many million dollar MBAs .....

If you can find a cheaper car...made by $2.oo a day labor and it is less than $30K...BUT IT and quit HATING on the working class..

LABOR CREATES ALL WEALTH in this WORLD....SURPRISED?

I am college educated and a teacher...wanna talk about parity in pay??

WHAT IS YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION WORTH?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 AM

62 posts, read 127,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Any one here old enough to remember:

Getting fired because you could not work 16 hours today.

Not having medical and getting fired because you were hurt on the job

No vacations

NO OVERTIME EVER

The sit down strikes in Flint

I AM TIRED of the working people taking S#!T for making a LIVING WAGE.

Who is making $60 hour? If you are talking WAGE+BENEFITS+workers comp+unemployment then yes..

That is called the cost of doing business.

The working people at these crappy jobs make like $25-30 ish an hour..

If you think that is UNFAIR then why don't you apply for the work?

Because it is beneath you? If they are making $150K with overtime wny don't you get yours?

BECAUSE THE JOB IS TOO STRESSFUL?

WHAT THEN?

As another poster said, cars made n Mexico or Japan still cost $30K...and the employees there are making what? $50 hr?? NOT...

How many idiots at the manufacturing plants are making 7 figure salaries?

IDIOTS as in college educated MBAs...

I am tired of hearing how they are the ones who take the risk..how can they be taking a risk if they are supposed to know what they are doing>

IT AIN"T EVEN THEIR MONEY...and they defend $10 MILLION incomes and twice that in bonuses??

And there are how many million dollar MBAs .....

If you can find a cheaper car...made by $2.oo a day labor and it is less than $30K...BUT IT and quit HATING on the working class..

LABOR CREATES ALL WEALTH in this WORLD....SURPRISED?

I am college educated and a teacher...wanna talk about parity in pay??

WHAT IS YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION WORTH?

First of all, you are right, to an extent...

the rights we have as American Workers have been hard fought for and earned.

And teachers don't make enough money.

However...no one wants to talk about the real reason the Big 3 are failing so miserably...

They make a crappy product that is way overpriced.

I would NEVER buy a GM, Ford, or a Chrysler that is less than 30 years old...because they are disposable junk, like Bic Lighters.

And they charge $20,000 for something that is more than likely going to have a major problem within 5-7 years...

Americans are stupid, but after about 15 years of buying crap automobiles that use way too much gas and break down all the time, they have learned new words, like Toyota, and Honda, and Nissan...

To quote James Hetfield...it's sad but true...

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
telepicker97

Isn't that a sad truth...

AND yes there is blame to go around..from the assembly line to the top board office...

There is no excuse...for anyone..

I just wish those at the top and at the labor level would have an honest discussion of what HAS TO BE DONE to turn it around.

I worked the steel mills in the 1980s when Chrysler bought Mexican and Japanese steel effectively destroying the U.S. steel industry...

Because we are capable of producing a quality product (not just because we are Americans) because as we have seen, ANYONE can produce quality..we here need to take on that role as well...

Sure car quality stinks, but we also have to quit bashing the working class.

That is like blaming the troops for the situation in Iraq.

Both are just doing their jobs as directed by management.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only thing is -- many people who graduate from college don't work especially hard, and many aren't especially well educated. And that is becoming more and more true with 20% of college graduates functionally illiterate.
Wow. 20%? Where did you get that figure? If correct it means having a degree is every bit as worthless as having a diploma!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan