Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Euchre" is a term that seems to b

"Make a Michigan Left" is also a term I had not heard before moving back here. I have not seen that set up in any other State.

This makes me chuckle because I am from Ohio and when I first started dated my husband who is native Michigander, he was driving around giving me a tour of his neighborhood... he told me that his old school was just to the left. We came to the intersection and he turned right. I panicked thinking he "slipped up" and was planning to do me in. ( I guess I watched too many CSI shows... LOL) Anway when I demanded to know just where we were going (with my hand on the door handle of course) he had to explain to me about "Michigan left".

Why don't the just make a turn lane with a turn arrow light like everyone else?
You end up having to get through 2 lights instead of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Okay, I still can't picture it. What's a Michigan left turn?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Okay, I still can't picture it. What's a Michigan left turn?
It's where on a boulevard, you can't make a left turn at the street you want. You have to pass the street to a turnaround and come back to the street and make a right turn.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Michigan lefts:

Michigan Highways: The Michigan Left

Stats do show that they are safer than a standard intersection with left turns, but they are a pain.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I think the Detroit area has the lock on Thanksgiving - there's no other area with as many traditions - the parade, the Lions game, "Alice's Restaurant" on the radio. It's like this local mecca of tradition. I just love it.

Talking at length about carbeurators with your relatives while the parade's going, the Lions are losing, and Alice's Restaurant is playing.

In the UP people have "camps" not cottages (and they're usually 30 minutes or more inland of their actual home near the beach and shore - kind of odd).

Lake effect, while not specifically Michigan, is certainly nothing you get in Cali (fornia).

My Dad has this annoying habit when giving directions of explaining in excruciating detail the Michigan left (he's lived there for 35 years): "Okay, so you take a right on Telegraph, then get in the left lane and at your first chance turn left..." I know why it has been shorthanded to "Michigan left". I've grown to hate them as well, having gotten used to the east coast where things seem to flow fine - such a waste of time and gas. I sometimes avoid routes with them, which is stupid.

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-11-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

189 posts, read 219,437 times
'Michigan Lefts' were designed long before anyone had heard/thought of adding a left arrow to the traffic light. The 1st one was 15 Mile/Maple at Telegraph.Perplexing, yes, until we ot used to it. It sure beat the alternative ! Long lines in the left turn lane, waiting for the light to turn yellow and 1 or 2 cars then sped throuh the light. Technically illegal, certainly unsafe, but almost an 'entitlement' that at least ONE car in that turn lane was allowed to run the light.

Which state can we blame for creating the roundabouts?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Thanks for the diagram. I laughed out loud when I saw it. NOW I remember the Michigan left hand turn.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,180 times
You put your food in a BAG,,, not a SACK

you drive on the EXPRESSWAY not the FREEWAY

you take the SERVICE DRIVE not the FRONTAGE ROAD

you drink POP not SODA

Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Roundabouts I'm not sure of, but there were certainly circles in New Jersey. The "Michigan Left" would be a jughandle in New Jersey. Makes everyone from out of state crazy, but the people who learn to drive them/there don't have any trouble at all.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Yes, Packzi- I think-lol~

There is a pastry puff thing with meat, potatoes and spices in it that you mostly see up north. I cannot remember what it is called. It kind of reminds me of an Empanada. I had never seen that name before. It had something strange like rutabaga, or turnip or something in it too. Tasty though.

Are you talking about Beirocks (sp?)- I used to see those in Cali all of the time, I can remember my mom buying them at a church social every year-

As for 'Cali' not being called Cali, I'm trying to recall if I ever heard the term used back home- I honestly can't recall, I think that it was picked up by people online simply because Cali is a lot easier to type out than California, lol-

That is a funny thing I noticed, adding an 's' to words like...Target, Wal-Mart, etc.- my husband does it all of the time, lol~that, and the 'pop' word --- it's 'soda' back home, and more often than not, someone will ask you if you want a 'coke' even if it isn't coke- 'Want to go get a coke?'--

Using the hand for a map, LOL- omg, I've been doing that since I came here- but that's because I am seriously geographically challenged- but gosh, it really does work, lol!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM

68 posts, read 300,294 times
Default Butter Burgers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
I and "butter burger"
Actually, with the advent of Culver's "butter burgers" are all over now. Never heard of them before that chain appeared on the scene and I was originally from "Mitchtiggun"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan