Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 24,436 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Michigan from New Jersey due to job relocation. My job will be near detroit/Southfield but I am NOT looking to live in Detroit area. Some good area where I can find new neat and clean apartment or townhome for a family, good school or kindergarten and close to shopping area and grocery.

Apart from that, is moving from New Jersey or North East States is a wise decision in terms of work, living, housing and education? I have never been to Michigan and worried about my move with a family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
You have a lot of great options int hat area. Where depends on what you want form a home town and what you can afford. Troy might be a good place to start looking.

Wise decision?

Housing is cheap.

Education is mostly execellent depending on where you live.

Living? Not sure what that means. The air is clean, water is plentiful. Trees and wildlife abound. Michigan is a beautiful place. Most communities are very very safe. The State Government is terrible. The tax burden as a whole is about in the middle compared to other states. Not sure if anyone told you this, but it can be pretty cold here.

Work? Have you read or listened to any news in the past three years? Michigan has the highest unemployment in the country. Work is hard to find. Part time low paying jobs seem to be somewhat available. Is there work? Sure, more people have jobs than don't, but there are momunemtal numbers of people who do not have jobs. A lot depends on thefield of work that you are in. I would not suggest that anyone move here unless they have a relatively secure job or the means to start a business of their own.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netb2b View Post
I am moving to Michigan from New Jersey due to job relocation. My job will be near detroit/Southfield but I am NOT looking to live in Detroit area. Some good area where I can find new neat and clean apartment or townhome for a family, good school or kindergarten and close to shopping area and grocery.

Apart from that, is moving from New Jersey or North East States is a wise decision in terms of work, living, housing and education? I have never been to Michigan and worried about my move with a family.

Thanks!

Troy is certainly a nice area, others to consider would be Novi, Northville, Farmington Hills, Canton. All are well west and north west of Detroit with excellent schools and very safe neighborhoods. If you don't mind a tad longer commute, many travel from Ann Arbor to the burbs for work, which is a awesome city within itself.

The Detroit suburbs encompass a very large area, and pinpointing what would be best for you based on the information you have given would be difficult. Ann Arbor would feel more "home town" compared to the burbs, but with all of the amenities and many within walking distance from apartment and townhomes. Price is certainly another issue, as they range widley based on the area. Canton and Novi have some very nice townhomes and new apartments that would range 1000+/mo for a 2-3 bdr. The prices would be similar in Ann Arbor, as well as Troy. If you prefer more of a city lifestyle, then the burbs would be your choice, but if you want more of a quiet setting closer to rec areas and state parks, Ann Arbor would be a better choice. Of course, there are other options than what I have stated, but I think I have given you a good starting point!

Good luck

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times
What do you mean you do not want to live in the Detroit area? Do you mean Detroit city? Because if you rule out the entire Detroit area, there is no feasible place near Southfield. Anyways, I'll recommend Lathrup Village. Nice little city right next to Southfield.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
First let me say welcome to Michigan. You ask if moving from the northeast states is wise, well that depends on what you are looking for. If you expect the sophistication and culture of NYC out here you will be dissapointed. However, you will be able to afford way more house than you ever could have dreamed of in the east. You also will find the people here very easy going, slower paced than NJ. The traffic is much easier, even in Detroit area compared to the Northeast. Outside of Detroit, most of our state is cropland or forest, so its easy to get outdoors here. You say you will work in southfield, but do not want to live in Detroit area, so I would suggest looking at Livingston county. It is on the far edge of metro Detroit, and lots of people commute in from there (40-50 miles) Livingston county offers good schools, a more rural atmosphere and low crime towns. Towns to check into, Brighton, Howell, Hartland, Fenton, Pickney. The people here in Michgian are for the most part friendly and welcoming to people who move here from other parts of the country. Its way different from New Jersey or anything in the east, but if you like the idea of a slower pace then you will like it.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM

7 posts, read 24,436 times
Thanks, these posts are really helpful.

I am planning to stay in a furnished housing for a week or two and then I will look for some good apartment. I searched places in Southfield but looks like no suitable place there, mostly old apartments. Any idea where I can look for neat and clean temporary accomodation? Should I only consider Troy, Novi, Northville, Farmington Hills or Canton? How about staying in Windsor, Ontario and commute daily to Southfield.

I have heard, crimes are more in Detroit city and people are not encouraged to roam or stay there in the evening or night time. Is that true?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:

I am planning to stay in a furnished housing for a week or two and then I will look for some good apartment. I searched places in Southfield but looks like no suitable place there, mostly old apartments. Any idea where I can look for neat and clean temporary accomodation? Should I only consider Troy, Novi, Northville, Farmington Hills or Canton? How about staying in Windsor, Ontario and commute daily to Southfield.

I have heard, crimes are more in Detroit city and people are not encouraged to roam or stay there in the evening or night time. Is that true?
The suburbs you mentioned are upscale, and offer what you seem to be looking for. In fact most of the northern and western suburbs are the best. Windsor Ont is nice, but lots of red tape if you want to live over there and work over here. As far as your question about Detroit, yea it is dangerous after dark. Heck its dangerous when the sun is up. The downtown area does have more police patrol so you can still do things at night there if you are careful. Detroit itself is a terrible city, you will find that people in metro detroit do things more in the suburbs than the city. Only sports events are held in the city, everything else you will need is in the suburbs. The life of southeast Mi is NOT in the city but the suburbs. The people of Mi long ago gave up on Detroit, just stay out of there and you will be fine.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
Default Welcome to the Rust Belt!

Michiganisms:

Coney Islands are not amusement parks but are Diners. They serve far more than just Coneys (see next item).

A Coney (or Coney dog) is a hot dog smothered with chili and onions.

When we drink a sweet carbonated beverage we are drinking "Pop" not "Soda"

We pump our own gasoline here, I can't remember the last time I saw a Full Service Station in Michigan, and the gas costs a lot more than you are paying in New Jersey.

We don't have toll roads, and all most of our expressways are known by names as well as numbers:
I-94 = Ford Freeway
I-75 = Chrysler Freeway
I-96 = Jeffries Freeway
I-10 = Lodge Freeway

There is no rapid transit in Michigan. A few cities have reliable intracity busses, but not many. You will depend upon your automobile for all transportation.

When we want to experience life in a big city we drive to Chicago or Toronto. The truly Bohemian among us will take the train to Chicago, but never any where else.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,500 times
Quote:

Hi I am from MI West Bloomfield area but lived in Princeton area of NJ for awhile. It is much cheaper in MI. To me living in Windsor is a far commute on a 5 days a week schedule and would take a mental toll especially in the winter. When I was thinking of moving back I was looking for a short term rental like you and there was one on craigslist in Northville that was furnished,clean and reasonable. You may want to look on craigslist under sublets or vacation. I would not live in Southfield as I don't feel it is a good area to live in. Working you will be fine as there are so many office buildings. What is your price range? There are many nice apartments in Farmington Hills and even West Bloomfield. Birmingham is a cute town feel with shops. You may be able to find a good home for rent depending on how much you can spend. Oh I just saw about kids. I think Birmingham schools are excellent. I lived in West Bloomfield but went to Birmingham schools so not always the city you live in will be the school district.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times
Quote:

Do not stay in Windsor. It would be such a pain in the ass. You'd likely take the tunnel which is in downtown Detroit and then commute to Southfield which wouldn't be too bad since the tunnel is basically at the end of the Lodge Freeway but dealing with the border crossing is more hassle than it's worth.

Put a side everything you have heard about Detroit. Detroit has a lot of safe and nice suburbs. Detroit and the suburbs are like two different countries. Downtown Detroit is actually safe. Anything outside of downtown Detroit is not. The neighborhoods in Detroit is where the crime is at. Southfield borders Detroit. I myself have no problem walking on 8 Mile. In fact, I live south of 8 Mile. There are a lot of fear mongers on this site so take it however you want. You'll quickly find the segregation in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan