Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 21,634 times

Advertisements

We are re-locating to charlevoix MI. My husband will be working in Charlevoix, but we are also wondering about petoskey. Here are my questions:

1: Where would I find rental houses online (year round, not vacation) I have looked everywhere but can only find vacation homes. It has to be a house because we have 3 dogs and a cat that would not be allowed in an apartment (we have a doberman, hes restricted )

2: I want to know more about the area, I would like to live in Charlevoix since my husband will be working there. So how busy in the summer? Is it really that beautiful? What are some places of interest I could look up to get a better idea of what it will be like there?

3: are pets restricted on beaches there (or by the beaches)? I remember in ludington the places werent very pet-friendly, I really love the places that are! So any pet friendly places there would be nice to know about!

4: are there many shopping places there? even in petoskey..what about movie theatres, a mall, wal mart anything!

and any other bits of information you have would be greatly appreciated!! I just want to know a lot about the area and housing rentals as far as long term and not vacation. We will be going there soon to visit and look around, but its not going to be as great in the winter as it will in the summer, so I would like tips, info or advice from anyone! Thanks So Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 36,935 times
I've visited Charlevoix. I can't answer all your questions, but I can respond a bit to #2. Yes, it is really beautiful. I found the lakefront area pretty neat. There are blocks of unique shops to explore. There are lots of water sport opportunities. We went on a boat ride around Lake Charlevoix into Round Lake and out into Lake Michigan. In Round lake, there was even a floating restaurant!

I did think the prices were a bit high, but that is probably because it is so touristy.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
you can try this link for info: http://www.charlevoix.org/index.asp (broken link)

I have lived here 2 years, relocated from SE MI.

It is very beautiful. In the summer the pop. swells from about 3,000 to near 30,000 with all the fudgies invading our little town.

We have great festivals, concerts in the park, quaint shopping downtown, we have a small movie theatre and a K-mart, a Rite Aid, Glens and Olsens for grocery shopping. A hospital and doctors in town. There is a Pizza Hut, Burger King, McDonalds, 7-11, Family Video 4 gas stations, couple banks........BUT any major shopping special item or store you want/need you will have to go to Petoskey or Traverse City for that.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM

http://www.charlevoixcountyinfo.com/

http://www.charlevoixlodging.com/things_to_do.html (broken link)

http://www.charlevoixcourier.com/

Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM

http://www.northernmichigan.com/webs...voix/index.htm

http://www.reomich.com/charlevoix/

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
One factor , not mentioned here , yet , is the traffic , in the summer , in this NW lower Michigan area. It is tenable , only if you live near the work place , or , can find back roads to get there........ The area is becoming so over built with summer place " investments" , that the highways can not handle the traffic. There are no interstates , and , few bypasses..........maybe the downturn in the real estate market , and the job loss , will filter up to the area , But , I am not holding my breath. Big money just keeps coming , and building , and straining the infrastructure. An area , that , shows the underbelly of opulence, greed , and excess wealth, while , the rest of Michigan suffers big time.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM

If you live up here, you learn your way around so the tourists arent that much trouble. We do avoid town all together on certain days. If you live on the right side of the bridge, you need not ever go into downtown to do any shopping/errands at the height of tourist season

I guess you can complain about them, but its their money to spend and they bring a great deal of it to town, so we benefit from the tourists. Its not any different from the rich opulent areas in other US cities. Its not THEIR fault Mi suffers

Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
If you live up here, you learn your way around so the tourists arent that much trouble. We do avoid town all together on certain days. If you live on the right side of the bridge, you need not ever go into downtown to do any shopping/errands at the height of tourist season

I guess you can complain about them, but its their money to spend and they bring a great deal of it to town, so we benefit from the tourists. Its not any different from the rich opulent areas in other US cities. Its not THEIR fault Mi suffers
So true , however , I would not call them tourists. The big money thats building all that stuff , comes on the back of the middle class in this country. The average tourist that comes to town , could not afford what I saw the last time I was in town , this summer. I was there on business , and , could hardly get to where I was going , without missing my appointment. Yes , you profit , from the jobs created , but , at what cost ?.........
These large developments , all over the country , have been the dumping ground for corporates , many offshore monies. its a double edged sword.The buying of America is being accomplished by the average Joe shopping at Wal-mart. And , we wonder why there is a mortgage collapse , why the average salary, buying power has gone down , every year, and the average debt is only increasing....... Someone is making the profit , and , its not me , nor the guy next door. Probably , not you ether ......

Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
I'm guessing any lakeside property will cost you dearly -- even a view of the lake will... The average working person in Charlevoix county is not buying this type of property -- they either inherited it or purchased a long time ago. Other properties would be fairly reasonable. Renting will be expensive relative to buying due to the tourist industry.

I think I'd choose Petoskey over Charlevoix -- there just isn't that much in Charlevoix with regard to non-tourist shopping but I can see why you might want to avoid a longer daily commute. The traffic in Charlevoix can be backed up for miles thanks to the bridge which goes up and down to let boats pass -- try to find a place on the the same side of the bridge that your workplace is on if that's a concern.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
Charlevoix is more of a buyers market, most people who seddle their doesnt really plan on leaving there. With that being said, I heard its a nice place for retirement... and yes you can go shopping... although you will find the tourist have more fun shopping than you. If you come from a small town the results may be the same or simply better, because Charlevoix as I hear is a great small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan