Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 22,642 times

Advertisements

I am planning out my wedding and REALLY need to pick out the date and venue. I am looking at Castle Farms in Charlevoix, MI.

Has anyone been there and what are your thoughts on it?

When is the weather best?

In particular, how much do I have to worry about rain? I'm from Joplin and just lost everything a month ago in the tornado and really don't want to worry about rain or storms (particularly tornadoes lol) ruining my weddding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
I was there a few years ago for a work party and it was really nice. They did a nice job with the renovation.

As far as the weather, theres really no telling what it could be. It could be 40F and rain or 90F and sunny, or anything in between. Many times the 7 day forecast will say one thing but it's completely changed by then. You just have to take it as it comes. If you want to predict rain here, the best thing would be to flip a coin.

However one thing is almost guaranteed and that's no tornadoes. There have been a handful of twisters over the years but they've always been small and brief. I've been here for 34 years and have never seen one. Straight line windstorms of 40-70 mph are more common but the really strong ones are still usually once every couple months.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Castle Farms is a beautiful facility, the multi-million dollar renovation and expansion of the unique property was done right, and done to accomodate, among other things, first-class weddings.
June into September are fine months for weather, though the previous post made clear that weather is always changeable and challenging. That would be true anywhere you go.....
The ONE thing you can be certain of is that you won't see a tornado. It's a very, very rare occurance in Northern Michigan.
Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I saw Cheap Trick & Billy Squier there in 1981.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Was that you, jumping on the stage, in the REO Speedwagon T shirt ?!
It's a whole different place now, YAZ....but thanks for the memories

Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
Yes I saw Metallica there in 1992 which was probably one of the last big shows they did. That day I could hear them setting up from our house which was 10 miles away, the wind must have been right. My folks saw several shows there in their earlier years. I remember in the 80s when Rod Stewart performed there, and stopped into Molly Malone's in Eastport for a Guiness and they put some photos on the wall of it. It's the complete opposite of what it used to be, but lots of good memories from back then.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
The Castle is just stunning for a wedding! As for the weather, pick a date and cross your fingers.....late May to October.....I would tend more toward the late Summer/ Fall,,,but you can have some brilliant Spring days....you can also have rain for a week as we are now, gray, chilly, rainy...in the 60's. It will be wonderful no matter the weather!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

LOL, I drove down from the SOO for that show. Plus many others after that time.

For the OP, it is a great place for a wedding. Very elegant now, and about the weather... anybodies guess. Just like every other place in the US, who really knows what the weather will be even a day or two in the future.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM

13 posts, read 29,977 times
My wife and I were married there in 2008. Great facilities. Good help from the staff and everything ran smoothly. Our wedding was in September and I think they stop at the end of September due to weather. It's northern Michigan.... I would say your best chance is late August, early September.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Was that you, jumping on the stage, in the REO Speedwagon T shirt ?!
It's a whole different place now, YAZ....but thanks for the memories
Being underage & stupid, we dumped 1/2 the pop out of our 2 liter bottles and filled the rest up with liquor.

Stashed 'em in the cooler and sat on the grass.

Cheap Trick rocked, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan