Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,752 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'll be relocating to Michigan for work and wanted some honest opinions on the commute from Novi to Dearborn. Is it worth the drive and how bad is the traffic on that drive? Most likely taking 696 to 39. I heard that 96 will be shutdown for the majority of 2014, which makes me nervous. Also, I am still open to suggestions for affordable towns to live. My issue is that I am relocating from Southern Illinois and will be unable to be there in person before signing a lease so I'm trying to do this blindly from a computer.
Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,499,203 times
Approximately where in Dearborn are you commuting to?

I would put it at around 45 minutes during commute times. 96/696 would be the most congested part of the drive, but the worst part of that stretch is west of Novi which wouldn't impact your commute. If you take 696 to M39 the 96 shutdown won't impact you.

It could be frustrating depending on your tolerance. Have you considered Plymouth? That would be more of a straight shot to Dearborn and would keep you out of a lot of the trouble areas. Livonia is another affordable option that would be a relatively easy commute to Dearborn. However, both of those cities would put you in the crosshairs of the coming 96 shutdown.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 AM

123 posts, read 224,683 times
Canton would be a safe choice and you could take Ford Road or I-94 to Dearborn.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I'll be commuting around where 39 and 94 intersect. I'll be working for Ford in that area.

I grew up driving in Chicago so my tolerance for traffic is higher than most. Preferably, I would like to stay under 45 min drive time but can handle an hour if needed.

Plymouth is on my short list as well as Livonia, Northville, Canton, Farmington, and Farmington Hills. The 96 shutdown is deterring me from most of those though. I'm sure construction is the same in all states and not pleasant.

Basically I'm figuring after a year of living in Michigan I'll learn the lay of the land but doing all of this blind is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,499,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minewbie View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I'll be commuting around where 39 and 94 intersect. I'll be working for Ford in that area.

I grew up driving in Chicago so my tolerance for traffic is higher than most. Preferably, I would like to stay under 45 min drive time but can handle an hour if needed.

Plymouth is on my short list as well as Livonia, Northville, Canton, Farmington, and Farmington Hills. The 96 shutdown is deterring me from most of those though. I'm sure construction is the same in all states and not pleasant.

Basically I'm figuring after a year of living in Michigan I'll learn the lay of the land but doing all of this blind is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks again for the help.
I think 45 minutes is a safe estimate for Novi.

Out of your list, Canton is the only city that would allow you to dodge the 96 shutdown. It would be a straight shot down Michigan Ave which would allow you to avoid freeway traffic altogether.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,868,730 times
I live in Farmington Hills and my husband commutes to the same area. He takes Telegraph Rd. much of the way. He likes this route and claims that it takes him about 45 minutes.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,945,237 times
Do you have a compelling reason that requires you to live in Novi?

I would not suggest this commute, at least if this is meant to be a short-term and/or rental option.
I-96 is going to be closed through Livonia for most of the rest of the year which will significrantly impact traffic coming to/from Dearborn and the western / northwestern suburbs.

If you are signing a lease, and this is only for a year, I would go with living perhaps in Canton or Livonia before signing a longer-term lease or buying a house. Figure out the area first.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Thank you for all of the info!

I do not have a compelling story. With me being so far away I am googling apartments in the towns I have listed and comparing prices. Novi's apartment prices seemed reasonable and that was one of my main reasons for liking the town. Canton seems to be slightly higher in rentals prices.

My wife and I will definitely be leasing for a year or two until we save enough money to buy a home and learn the area. The more I am digging into Canton the more I am realizing it is the best option for us, especially with the construction. It seems like Canton has several feasible routes to get me into Dearborn while avoiding major traffic.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 13,250 times
I work @ Ford PDC and live on a canal off Lake Saint Claire in Saint Clair Shores. Moved from Farmington Hills to enjoy the lake whenever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan