Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 17,583 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My husband and I moved out here for me to go to law school and we'd been banking on him finding a job quickly (he's a former engineer). Well weeks go by and nothing. Finally, out of desperation, he takes a job with a company called "universal gas and electric." The gist of what they do is go door to door "informing" people about deregulation of natural gas etc. At this point, he has been working for them for about a month and they still have yet to pay him. We can't go on like this but I fear that we are stuck. They continue to maintain the position that they will pay him when they get everything "set up." I was wondering if anyone out there had a common experience with this company and if so what did you do? We are from Washington and I'm not entirely sure what the laws are around here about this sort of thing. Any info would be great thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM

362 posts, read 1,504,700 times
I'm not an attorney, but I would say that unless he's on commission that what they are doing is illegal. He must be paid for the hours he's worked. What did he agree to when he took the job?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,837 times
Default Universalized

I worked for Universal for one day. and walked off. I understand it the employment relationship as an "independant contractor." Your employment situation is just like mine and my fellow Michiganders. Its all "Manpower" or some temp service. There are no jobs that pay anything. Only temps. Its the pits and I'm looking outside of Michigan. But my house is paid for, thank God. But I can't sell it or I take a huge loss. I have 5 bedroom 2 bath house with 3 stall garage with a work shop 26' by 100' are its dimensions. And I had one offer-a paltry $25,700 !!!! NO WAY!!! I had it appraised at $200,000. My taxes are $1800 per year! Its bad here for everybody. Its all Manpower, Adecco, Forge, Williamson temp services. $9 bucks an hour, no benefits. And guess what our legislators did to us! They made so we can't collect unemployment checks if you work for a temp service. People are on temp services for as long as 2 years at Herman Miller, Haworth and Steelcase and many other companies. What they is do is they change payroll firms every nine months so you don't technically work for them so as to become eligible for benefits. Its the pits here in Michigan, Its awful. You will never get your check from Universal so cut your loses and leave Michigan. Its hopless, Its all Manpower

Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM

334 posts, read 1,499,457 times
Deregulation of utilities is awful. The government did that here and the utilities have gone up over 300% in the last 5 years. Crazy!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM

749 posts, read 2,775,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
Deregulation of utilities is awful. The government did that here and the utilities have gone up over 300% in the last 5 years. Crazy!

Where? Where is here?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,077,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Where? Where is here?
She's talking about Canada.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

334 posts, read 1,499,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Where? Where is here?
oops, sorry. "Here" is Western Canada.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM

695 posts, read 3,414,109 times
They did a HUGE expose on this company on Fox 2 Detroit. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Rip-off Report: Universal Gas And Electric Ripoff SCAM deceiving representatives and unhelpful customer service Southfield Michigan

Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 457,241 times
I've heard nothing but bad news about these folks. There are at least a couple other posts on this forum about them.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,882,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
They did a HUGE expose on this company on Fox 2 Detroit. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Rip-off Report: Universal Gas And Electric Ripoff SCAM deceiving representatives and unhelpful customer service Southfield Michigan
Yep, same company. They had an expose here in GR too about these scammers. Apparently the Attorney General is now investigating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: