Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM

4,691 posts, read 308,097 times

Advertisements

I just found out that the owner of a coffee house in Canton has been pocketing the tips, left for his employees, for himself. There is a cup that sits by the cash register, with the word "Tips" written on it, where people put their change, believing that that money is going to help the employees, some of whom are going to college and could use that extra money. They all make minimum wage, so they could all benefit from those tips. Just found out from one of the employees that they don't get any of that money because the owner states that any money that comes into his store belongs to him.

Isn't this a form of misrepresentation? A tip cup leads customers to believe that the money they leave goes to the employees.

I'm I wrong about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,648,442 times
It's misrepresentation as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard of an employer doing this before. I think everyone believes they are helping low paid employees by leaving a tip in the money jar.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,800 times
Which coffee house was it?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Which coffee house was it?
I don't want to say the name because I don't know the legality of doing so. I will say that it is between Lilly and Haggerty on Ford Rd though. We stopped there to get a cup of coffee and got into a conversation with the employee waiting on us.

Last edited by Ceege; 08-19-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,285,178 times
Then just say where the house is that the patrons tips are kept by the owner. I also think it is an issue the EMPLOYEES need to deal with because what ever anyone else says is HEARSAY from possible disgruntled employees.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then just say where the house is that the patrons tips are kept by the owner. I also think it is an issue the EMPLOYEES need to deal with because what ever anyone else says is HEARSAY from possible disgruntled employees.
That's why I didn't want to give out the name.

And, if true, I'm also thinking that the owner may not be claiming this amount of extra money on his income tax. He has, perhaps, set himself up for all kinds of legal issues. Not to mention what the franchise he belongs to might say about it.

It also could be just a disgruntled employee spouting off. I've just never heard of such a thing. It's so bold for an employer to steal from his own employees like that and not expect it to get out to the public. Sooner or later, one of the employees will say something, and the cat's out of the bag.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,800 times
If you're not willing to identify the shop - I'd propose you're merely targeting illwill against this shop for personal reasons, albeit coming off in a very passive aggressive manner.

Because if you said it was X coffee shop, we could contact X and they would immediately either confirm/deny your allegations. We would have the truth.

Your unwillingness to let that happens leads me to believe 1) it's either unfounded or 2) you're a partner in crime.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
If you're not willing to identify the shop - I'd propose you're merely targeting illwill against this shop for personal reasons, albeit coming off in a very passive aggressive manner.

Because if you said it was X coffee shop, we could contact X and they would immediately either confirm/deny your allegations. We would have the truth.

Your unwillingness to let that happens leads me to believe 1) it's either unfounded or 2) you're a partner in crime.

I heard about this from the employee who waited on us. But, as zthatzmanz28 pointed out, it could have been a disgruntled employee talking, as I pointed out. If I had something against this shop, I would name it. But, since I heard about this from one employee, I don't want to cause any trouble for the shop.

I posted this to see what others thought about this practice of employers taking tips from employees. I know that I will ask, from now on, before I leave a tip in a cup, to see who really gets the money. It makes me wonder if this is a wide spread problem. And, belleislerunner, you, and all of us, should be interested in this practice since it's our money being put in the wrong pockets.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,117,386 times
Don't put any money in a tip jar.

Simply give the tip directly to the server.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 AM

404 posts, read 906,388 times
This does happen I saw it on an episode of restaurant impossible. The owner paid employees regular minimum wage instead of tipped employee minimum so he was legally allowed to take the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: