Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home selling: pricing strategy, MLS search, corporate relocations, target market, moderate upgrades

Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

34 posts, read 108,360 times

Advertisements

We moved to MI on a job relocation, we looked at about 30 houses in person and hundreds online. Our price point was $400 - $550k, and our target area was the northern 'burbs. We closed on our house earlier this year. Maybe these comments will help you Sellers trying to sell your homes when you hear from someone like me who is not an Agent or in anyway connected with the real estate business. Overall, we had a really good experience. I think these kinds of things speed the process up and help you rise to the top.

- Understand this is a business transaction and it doesn't matter how much you paid for or have invested in your home - it's about price and if it won't appraise for getting a mortgage then everyone's time is wasted;
- Make sure your Agent is responsive at all times reasonable;
- A loan amount above $417k is a Jumbo, and they have gotten pricier and harder to get so know what that does to your pricing strategy;
- Understand that if you have a home on a busy street, bad lot, etc. then you need to come to terms with your price;
- Have your home appraised and inspected by your people before you start the selling process so you know where you stand - and - search the MLS before you price because that's what Buyers are doing;
- Correct all the "do-it-yourself-to-save-money" things you did like a basement weekend warrior project that looks cheap;
- We did not want to move into a home and have to replace carpet, repaint, tear down wallpaper, replace old appliances etc.
- We did not want to see items in disrepair. What does that say about how you maintained what I can't see until our inspector shows up;
- We did not care about your furniture or staging or other 'tricks' from HGTV, TLC, etc. you see, but have an uncluttered, clean home which shows respect for the business transaction you want to make;
- Be easy to schedule. Most of what goes on in the MI market are corporate relocations, so know your target market because we want to pop in and pop out;
- How long we spent in your home is neither a good nor bad sign;
- Don't major in the minors and argue over small change, give in when you need to and say when you can't;
- Make sure anyone who is set to tour your home is pre-approved for a mortgage;
- Clean your garage and clean your kids rooms;
- Talk to your neighbors, I don't want one of my biggest investments to be in between 2 un-kept properties;
- Be pleasant to people but understand a Buyer has their 'game-face' on;
- If you make claims in your Listing like special access, DNR land etc. then have those documents ready to back it up;
- The Buyers you think you can hard-ball because they love your house and have negotiated with you are probably prepared to walk away to another Seller whose whose house they love 98% as much as yours;

These are my opinions and observations, and I hope they help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
We bought last summer and I agree very much with the OP. I can add a little more perspective as someone who relocated for a non-corporate, white-collar job (academic at Wayne State University). Previous to this, we hopped around and bought houses in San Francisco and Philadelphia, so we've noticed some specific peculiarities about the metro Detroit RE market.

As somone said, there are buyers in every market - the competition among sellers is just more heated now. This means that houses with significant issues that might have sold 5 years ago will sit unless you are priced lower than your competition - the supply is too great. We automatically weeded these out through the internet - yes, it's pretty easy to do in this day and age. There is no excuse not to have great pictures, so listings with no pictures, ones without the entire front of the house, etc. automatically raised red flags. The majority of the houses we looked at fell into the next group - cooky-cutter postwar houses in the 1200-1800 sq. ft. range that were in serious need of updating (orange formica countertops) or have been updated VERY cheaply (like a college apartment). Yet the people wanted relatively outrageous prices for them - I don't care what the next door house sold for 5 years ago. I don't care if your small, Hotpoint fridge is brand new - it looks like you paid $99 for it at Home Depot. Then there was a small group of houses that were too upgraded and the prices were even more outrageous. We looked at these for fun more than anything, but a 1200 sq. ft. house is a 1200 sq. ft. house, no matter how many granite countertops, decks, jacuzzis, subzero fridges, and powder rooms you shoehorn in. The last group was still selling like hot-cakes when we looked - clean, functional houses with moderate upgrades, clean paintjobs/fixtures/etc., and no major warts - mid-line stainless, granite or corian, crown molding, ceramic tile or wood, etc. Could be a bit worn but had to be clean with no major fixes/upgrades in the near future. It was difficult to buy houses because they were snatched up within a couple weeks; yes, there were that few of them in the $200k-400k range, at least last summer. On a final note, if the house is prewar and has original details, all the better, but people won't pay 35-50% more for the same functional space - 10-20%, maybe. Almost all the prewar houses we saw (and wanted to fall in love with) were in terrible shape and they were asking for the moon, which made the FIY route untenable.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 09-05-2007 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 PM

201 posts, read 1,122,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
We bought last summer and I agree very much with the OP. I can add a little more perspective as someone who relocated for a non-corporate, white-collar job (academic at Wayne State University). Previous to this, we hopped around and bought houses in San Francisco and Philadelphia, so we've noticed some specific peculiarities about the metro Detroit RE market.

As somone said, there are buyers in every market - the competition among sellers is just more heated now. This means that houses with significant issues that might have sold 5 years ago will sit unless you are priced lower than your competition - the supply is too great. We automatically weeded these out through the internet - yes, it's pretty easy to do in this day and age. There is no excuse not to have great pictures, so listings with no pictures, ones without the entire front of the house, etc. automatically raised red flags. The majority of the houses we looked at fell into the next group - cooky-cutter postwar houses in the 1200-1800 sq. ft. range that were in serious need of updating (orange formica countertops) or have been updated VERY cheaply (like a college apartment). Yet the people wanted relatively outrageous prices for them - I don't care what the next door house sold for 5 years ago. I don't care if your small, Hotpoint fridge is brand new - it looks like you paid $99 for it at Home Depot. Then there was a small group of houses that were too upgraded and the prices were even more outrageous. We looked at these for fun more than anything, but a 1200 sq. ft. house is a 1200 sq. ft. house, no matter how many granite countertops, decks, jacuzzis, subzero fridges, and powder rooms you shoehorn in. The last group was still selling like hot-cakes when we looked - clean, functional houses with moderate upgrades, clean paintjobs/fixtures/etc., and no major warts - mid-line stainless, granite or corian, crown molding, ceramic tile or wood, etc. Could be a bit worn but had to be clean with no major fixes/upgrades in the near future. It was difficult to buy houses because they were snatched up within a couple weeks; yes, there were that few of them in the $200k-400k range, at least last summer. On a final note, if the house is prewar and has original details, all the better, but people won't pay 35-50% more for the same functional space - 10-20%, maybe. Almost all the prewar houses we saw (and wanted to fall in love with) were in terrible shape and they were asking for the moon, which made the FIY route untenable.
WOW! I AM GOING TO MAKE A COPY OF THE LAST TWO THREADS! I AM BREATHLESS! THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE TIPS, AND I'M SURE IT WILL OPEN SOMEONE ELSES EYES. BOTH THREADS WERE VERY HELPFUL FOR ME.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,244 times
Smile Thanks from a REALTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
WOW! I AM GOING TO MAKE A COPY OF THE LAST TWO THREADS! I AM BREATHLESS! THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE TIPS, AND I'M SURE IT WILL OPEN SOMEONE ELSES EYES. BOTH THREADS WERE VERY HELPFUL FOR ME.
It is great to hear your points of view!!! I keep trying to get sellers to look at their properties the same way you approched it. I'm going to use these quotes for my next listing appointments. It's not just me saying those things, it is also the buyers...

Old 09-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondee View Post
It is great to hear your points of view!!! I keep trying to get sellers to look at their properties the same way you approched it. I'm going to use these quotes for my next listing appointments. It's not just me saying those things, it is also the buyers...
What's more Blondee, I showed this to my husband first thing this morning. Our home was built in 2003 and is in good shape. The point is that he has a 1970's set up as his "spot" that he calls "organized junk" in the basement (which is a good size). It is set up real neat (like an old living room -- televisionssssssssss (plural), stereo, lava lamps, beverage "shelf", couch, chairs, and etc. We love sitting down there talking and listening to music all the time (very liveable). I just think he needs to tone it down some by removing some of his things and leave the fantasy to the buyer as to what they would like to do with that area and making it look more spacious (as you said -- CLUTTER FREE). After showing him your blog, he actually cleaned "soooome" of the things out and it made me re-organize the garage. You cured me of my procrastination of walking through the garage saying "one day I have to clean this mess up." Can't wait for a home to be sold and start removing clutter. Thanks to you, today was the day. It looks great! He even was proud of the way it looked. We can actually "breathe" in the garage. I told him this was a wake-up call for both of us, and he agreed. THANK GOD -- THAT WAS A START! I may have to move a thing or two gradually (things that he may not miss) in order to "de-junk" his spot. GREATFUL FOR YOU AND PREVIOUS BLOGGER!!! Hope your sellers and others will take heed!!! Keeping copies of these blogs out to read as a reality check. Keep in touch with us sellers. FEELING GREAT -- THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM

182 posts, read 239,509 times
Default Agree and add a few more

I think it's very important for all animal smells or signs of animals to be hidden. It's not that buyers don't love animals but they worry about "accident's" the animal may have had in the past or hair in the carpets. Especially important for people with allergies to animals. If proof that there are animals is "hidden" then out of sight out of mind.

Cleanliness is very important and so is the yard. Please have it looking clean as well. Hide all the kids toys.

When I bought my home, I could see past things that were not to my taste. In fact the house I bought looked like they never expected showings. We had an appointment for a few days before the showing and when we got there they not only didn't leave the house but were actually cooking dinner and "chatted" with us through out the showing. They were nice people but we couldn't really take in all the home features with them there hovering.

Same with the inspection--the owners stayed and followed and paced while the guy was trying to do his job. Made us feel very awkward like we were imposing.

The weird part was the sellers were highly motivated to sell and were practically begging us to buy the house yet would often remark about how sad they were to leave it, bummed etc. Even though they just moved across town into another house they had built.

Sellers---leave during showings and during the inspections- it gives buyers the chance to see themselves in the house, imagine their furniture etc.

Ditto about the photos. Insist that your Realtor take the best shots ever. Follow up and see how your pictures look online. If they don't highlight the best features, make them redo.

Proper lighting. I want to see the yards, I want to see the kitchen, the living room, the master bedroom. I especially want to see the back yard and anything that your house has that makes it unique and charming.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM

34 posts, read 108,360 times
Your points are great. I agree with all of that!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
I think it's very important for all animal smells or signs of animals to be hidden. It's not that buyers don't love animals but they worry about "accident's" the animal may have had in the past or hair in the carpets. Especially important for people with allergies to animals. If proof that there are animals is "hidden" then out of sight out of mind.

Cleanliness is very important and so is the yard. Please have it looking clean as well. Hide all the kids toys.

When I bought my home, I could see past things that were not to my taste. In fact the house I bought looked like they never expected showings. We had an appointment for a few days before the showing and when we got there they not only didn't leave the house but were actually cooking dinner and "chatted" with us through out the showing. They were nice people but we couldn't really take in all the home features with them there hovering.

Same with the inspection--the owners stayed and followed and paced while the guy was trying to do his job. Made us feel very awkward like we were imposing.

The weird part was the sellers were highly motivated to sell and were practically begging us to buy the house yet would often remark about how sad they were to leave it, bummed etc. Even though they just moved across town into another house they had built.

Sellers---leave during showings and during the inspections- it gives buyers the chance to see themselves in the house, imagine their furniture etc.

Ditto about the photos. Insist that your Realtor take the best shots ever. Follow up and see how your pictures look online. If they don't highlight the best features, make them redo.

Proper lighting. I want to see the yards, I want to see the kitchen, the living room, the master bedroom. I especially want to see the back yard and anything that your house has that makes it unique and charming.
I am going to AMEN you as well! I remember a realtor took us to a home (persons still living there, but they were not there) with a lockbox on it. When we went in, the beds were not made, food and dishes (not washed) were still out from the night before, ladder was up where there were repairs being made, children's rooms with toys all over the floor and teenager's room had clothes in the floor (including the ones that he had climbed out of). This put the realtor in an embarassing situation! She said she was going to speak to the owners. I like your saying -- "I could look past things that were not my style". That was fortunate for the seller. When I look for my next home (which will be a resale), I will certainly use that philosophy! I see homes on line (unattractive wall paper and borders, furniture that's not my style, dark paints on the walls, etc.) that I need to look past as a potential possibility. Thanks for the future use of that philosophy. One can get "turned off" with the trivials and lack of "style imagination" to change what is not liked about a home. God grant me the serenity to change the things I can.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 AM

262 posts, read 788,119 times
I have been in the construction trade for 27 years and when I was a kid my Mother and Father bought and sold 26 houses in the 22 years I lived with them, they always kept house selling very simple, When they would get a house ready to sell we always painted rooms in off white colors this let's the new owners pick what they want and if they move in they don't have to paint right away, as for kitchens and bath the two main rooms they kept just the basics, no fancy counter tops, or top end applinances, they kept it simple and as for prices well they made money on each of the 26 houses but they didn't go for profits of 75k or better like some people are trying to do now a days. People think they can cash in on the high price and here in Michigan people need to know there are so many houses out there, if you don't adjust your price accordingly you could be on the Real Estate market a long time. Not everyone is going to be able to sell their house at 500k so look at it if you walk away with enough money to buy a new home and have some money left over to do the fix ups on your next place. That should be enough but to many want that pie in the sky price where they walk away with 100k, Here in Michigan it aint gonna happen. Good luck to all of you trying to sell. Just remember keep it simple and clean you'll have better luck with the buyers.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I have been in the construction trade for 27 years and when I was a kid my Mother and Father bought and sold 26 houses in the 22 years I lived with them, they always kept house selling very simple, When they would get a house ready to sell we always painted rooms in off white colors this let's the new owners pick what they want and if they move in they don't have to paint right away, as for kitchens and bath the two main rooms they kept just the basics, no fancy counter tops, or top end applinances, they kept it simple and as for prices well they made money on each of the 26 houses but they didn't go for profits of 75k or better like some people are trying to do now a days. People think they can cash in on the high price and here in Michigan people need to know there are so many houses out there, if you don't adjust your price accordingly you could be on the Real Estate market a long time. Not everyone is going to be able to sell their house at 500k so look at it if you walk away with enough money to buy a new home and have some money left over to do the fix ups on your next place. That should be enough but to many want that pie in the sky price where they walk away with 100k, Here in Michigan it aint gonna happen. Good luck to all of you trying to sell. Just remember keep it simple and clean you'll have better luck with the buyers.
Great Tip!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan