Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear3333 View Post
Just a quick reminder--------Civil War------- Dumb sh-ts
Just a little late here. I thought this thread was dead, guess its not! The Civil War? Don,t paint this thread with such a broad brush. Troll ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,610,370 times
Seceding from the world's superpower seems a little silly.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM

It may sound silly, but when I started this thread, I was looking for feedback on one specific ongoing anomaly the fight between the UP and Lansing. ( many Yoopers thought they were not being properly represented. ) The fact that there were 4 attempts at breaking away from Lower Michigan makes this very interesting, especially if you are a geo/history buff.
I know politics is at the heart of the issue, always has been. What I found interesting was the Geographical connection being the UP is a part of the Northern Tier states, Lower Michigan is not. The Northern Tier all have common concerns,Politics,( mostly Liberal ), and a separate economy than other States. Example, less of an effect on them by the recession.As of late the boom in natural resources extraction, is on the front page everywhere.ND is soon to pass Texas as the largest Oil and Gas State.There is a new interest in Mining, especially gold and silver ,and other PMs mostly due to the high prices of all commodities.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
What constitutes an attempt?

Depening on the definition there may have been 30 attempts to divide California into two States, several attempts to seperate Illinois from Chicago; several attempts to make Hawiaii a seperate country or to make it part of Japan, a few attempts by other sates to succeed from the US.

If ou mean seriousattempts, there have been zero for Michigan and zrero for all the toher states as well.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What constitutes an attempt?

Depening on the definition there may have been 30 attempts to divide California into two States, several attempts to seperate Illinois from Chicago; several attempts to make Hawiaii a seperate country or to make it part of Japan, a few attempts by other sates to succeed from the US.

If ou mean seriousattempts, there have been zero for Michigan and zrero for all the toher states as well.
You are wrong on that one. Its simple, look it up on Wikipedia.. AS far as I recall the one in the 70s got out to the people in the UP. There was just not enough votes to go further..There has been serious talk over the last 150 years about breaking off and becoming our own state,.,and for good reason. It will never happen, we just do not have enough people living here, one of the reasons many live here. I would rather look at the separating as a virtual thing . Not really any different than what Key west has done with the Conch republic.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
As I said, it depends on what you define as a serious attempt. If 150 people take it seriously - is that a serious attempt? There has never been a serious enough attempt at this to actually take it seriously. Were you alive in the 1970s? It was a joke. People were making fun of them, that is about the only attention they got.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As I said, it depends on what you define as a serious attempt. If 150 people take it seriously - is that a serious attempt? There has never been a serious enough attempt at this to actually take it seriously. Were you alive in the 1970s? It was a joke. People were making fun of them, that is about the only attention they got.
Actually I started coming up to the UP from Chicago in the seventies. WE traveled all over the place, could not get enough, camping and riding the two track trail in my CJ7. To answer your question, no, I do not recall local / national Politics until latter in life. As to degrees, i do find it interesting that the "attempts" were of such a shallow nature, yet lots of talk in the history books of the UP.
It does seem that this idea of separating from the Union ( other than the civil war ) is going around now with so many of disgruntled, sour grape states in the South. I do recall when I lived on the NC .Tenn. border that their was once a " break a way state" named Franklin in our mist. I can see even today how much different the people were around there compared to the bulk of both states, not much different than here in da UP.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM

902 posts, read 1,927,190 times
Is this because Romney lost the election ? Get a better candidate next time . I hear nothing but whining all over the country ...boo hoo get over it .. both parties need to work together no matter who the President .

Obama Administration Responds to Secession Petition - YouTube

Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
Is this because Romney lost the election ? Get a better candidate next time . I hear nothing but whining all over the country ...boo hoo get over it .. both parties need to work together no matter who the President .
The problem is that a significant number of people think that the USA is doomed under this President. He thinks compromise is only when the opposition does what he wants. He's showed no attempts to compromise with the other side in his first 4 years and has even less reason to do so now since he doesn't have to worry about reelection. He'll have the opportunity to appoint at least one more Supreme Court justice which could tip the balance of power on the court to those who would rather destroy the Constitution rather than protect it as long as the result fit with their ideology. He's been running over $1 trillion deficits and wants to put us on the fast-track to a situation like Greece. His fellow Democrats haven't proposed a Budget in the Senate since 2009 and stated that they probably wouldn't next year either; the President's own budget couldn't get a vote from either party.

When you see the ship sinking, most people want to get to a life raft. That's what the secession movements are about. Who wants to go down with a sinking ship? Or if we go to the President's car analogy -- he liked comparing this country to a car that the Republicans drove into a ditch and claimed he needed to take the keys away. The new analogy is that he's now driving the car toward a cliff and rather than braking or turning around -- he's pushing down the accelerator. People want to get out before the inevitable happens.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 AM

You are trying to turn all the current events into a political football that does not exist. This thread is not about your misguided thoughts. Don't try to make it so, no ones buying your connection, the elections over, let it be. If you want to start a thread about your theories , there is a place, but not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan