Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times

Advertisements

First off I'm guilty of NOT reading this entire thread..................2ndly racism exist everywhere and it's in everyone whether they admit or not, white, black or brown. But what amazes me the most is how the anonynimity of the Internet allows it to flow freely from the average individual who wouldn't dare present their point of view that way in person. I'll admit that I was shocked at how much some of these suburbanites hated and despised Detroit residents based soley on what they hear on the shock and awww nightly news. Things haven't changed much, it's just not voiced as openly as it used to be. Bottom line is no matter what color you are, when you are out of your element, you'll feel it.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM

83 posts, read 387,614 times
What do they call Livonia? Whitest city in the US? is hat true? Not saying its racist at all as I get dirty looks hanging out around there and I am caucasion

Racism is everywhere. Its the outright racism I would watch out for (people taking action whatever) But I couldnt judge one city against another in that regard. However, I do feel that some areas in michigan have lots of racist people. The suburbs of Detroit for example. I personally know (not friends mind you) quite a few people that have left the area because too many people of unfavorable (to them) ethnic background had moved into the area. But you get that anywhere.

I remember about 10 years ago (in a nice little suburb of detroit) being in a restaurant and some patrons were letting the racist comments fly left and right. I was pretty disgusted.

But Michigan is very diverse. probably the most diverse state I have lived in. Its nice being able to go to mexican town, greek town or heading down to the dearborn area for some middle eastern food.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
Where can I find a greek town?
Interesting

Old 11-17-2007, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 9,167 times
Default Michigan racism in alive and well. I moved here from Mississippi back in Aug. 2001 and had my first experience. My dau

ther who is 17 years old, a high senior, 4.0 GPA, very intellegent and very respectful. While in Mississippi she played in a intergrated soccer league and she was one the top players. She really loved soccer and she was invited to try out at the league that's located out near the Muskegon Airport in Sept. 2001. My daughter was the only african american participant and could outplay nearly all of the girls (white) out there but was denied to play. The coach who did not have the guts to say why, never deposited my check that I paid for her entry fees.

As I approached him he could not even look me in my eyes, he just dropped his head. I left these words with him, I said, " My daughter was hurt and very disappointed by you and the girls out here. But you could have gone down in history on this day by being the first white man to intergrate soccer in the Muskegon Airport Soccer League. Instead, you were a chicken who has a yellow streak and has no guts to take stand. My coach in high school often told me and my teammates, A man who want stand for somethings will fall for anything". So, I feel that Mississippi is well ahead of the racial game than Michigan. Most of the Michigan communities are terribly divided among themselves. GOOD LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I dont live everywhere in Michigan, so I cant really answer this question. Rather your live in Michigan or not, I still would like to hear your comment. How bad is Michigan racism... where does it exist the most or shall I say where do you find it more comman? Can you tell me a experience you witness or was a victim of racism in Michigan? If you really havent been a witness or victim of racism in Michigan, what did you hear about Michigan racism? Answering these questions will help me out alot, I hope no one gets offended by this thread or the comments/ post that will be made. ( If you so happen to get offended, I'm truley sorry.) This is to help me get a better understanding of Michigan, thats all I'm asking for.
- Thank you ( Excuse all of the faces made. )

Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM

106 posts, read 573,245 times
Default State Divided

No question that this is a state divided.
Just drive down down Warren Ave in Detroit, many of the buildings burned in the 1967 riots still stand.
White folks fled the city and did not look back.
The abandonment of Detroit is punishment.

On the other hand, try applying for a City of Detroit job and being white.
Ditto for state jobs in Wayne county.
The applications might as well have printed on top "white folks from the suburbs need not apply"

Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
I grew up in Livingston County Michigan, probably the most racist county in Michigan. Northern Michigan is also quite racist. True, when the KKK tries to hold rallies etc. they are usually protested quite heavily. This does not mean that Michigan is changing its ways.... it simply means that most people realize that being openly racist is no longer PC so they censor their remarks out in public. It is difficult to realize how racist Michigan is until you move to another state where racism does not exist as strongly as it does there. I visited the Traverse City area last summer after moving to Las Vegas and the first thing I noticed was how "white" the area is. Most schools in Michigan are either white or non-white. There are very few racially mixed schools because most areas of Michigan are very segregated. I am not saying that just because you live in Michigan you are a racist, I AM saying that if you live in most areas of Michigan you most likely live a very segregated life whether that is your intent or not. One of the biggest plus's I have experienced since moving to Las Vegas with my children is the complete racial integration this city has. Caucasians' are actually a minority here and I think that has been an awesome learning experience for our entire family. We didn't realize how "white" our area of the world was until we moved out here.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
I think you're a bit off base on racism in northern Michigan. I grew up in Boyne City and when I went to school you would have concluded that the schools were segregated because they were so "white". There was only 1 public school though -- there simply was no racial diversity except for the occasional Native American. This is not segregation but rather just what the racial demographic was. In retrospect, I think this was a good thing because racism just wasn't an issue children had to deal with.

I'm not one of the people who see diversity as a thing to be celebrated or strived for. Racial demographics will just be what they are but I'd rather see America as a melting pot with a common culture rather than a whole lot of subcultures being clinged on to. I'd also be very afraid of reverse racism if I suddenly moved into a region where Caucasians were the minority. Our society has basically been teaching that only white people can be racist and that most are. Blatant reverse racism is not even looked at as such.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 18,555 times
I witness being a person with pigmentation that if you walk in any store across eight mile other races have the nerve to watch you like a hawk as if you came to steal something. If your walking in the mall or department stores caucasians won't move out of the way . You find yourself always being the polite one saying excuse me while they have their nose in the air. I have parked at a gas station in bloomfield twp. and found a racist note in between my car and a jewish person car. You can travel to detroit city and see no major stores in the city just mom and pop stores struggling to make it. Why because walmart, k-mart, target, gap, big boy,or any major store you can't find in the city of detroit still have a racist mentality. You'll find far out on hall road where population is significally less but still have the options to shop in their neighborhoods. Racism is very much alive in michigan!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 18,555 times
Listen To People Who Talking About Reverse Racism. That Term Came From The Kkk. From David Duke Leader Of Kkkrazy!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 PM

282 posts, read 814,574 times
You are as reverse racist as they come.
Read your own posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan