Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,930,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post

Overall, I would say very few cities in the US are truly "non-segregated" with regular interaction between different peoples - NY and SF maybe lead the field with other cities improving. Detroit definitely lags behind, but so do most US cities.
This could not be further from the truth about NYC. New York is one of the most segregated in the country, especially in the outer boroughs, where the majority of New Yorkers live. I have been to Detroit a few times and...yeah, it's segregated, more than most cities. The "non-segregated" cities would actually be places like Houston and San Diego.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,160,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Detroit is one of the top 5 most segregated cities in the US (along with Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cleveland and Newark).
I'm not sure that automatically equates to racism, but it's not a good sign.
Yeah, how dare those mean old whites segregate themselves from the crime, bad schools, and other social ills that plague those cities you mention. What are they thinking? They should be celebrating and embracing diversity. Haven't they noticed how much better and more livable our cities get as they become more diverse and multicultural?
Give me a break.
By the way, suydam, I notice you live in East Grand Rapids, Michgan. I just looked up the stats for that town, and it is 96.5 % white.
So it looks like you're engaging in a little segregation yourself.
Naughty. naughty.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

17 posts, read 77,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
There is racism all over the world and Michigan is no exception but I seriously don't think Michigan is any worse than any other place.
Hi there~!!! I have to say that I was born and raised in MI until my husband took a job transfer to TX. There are a few towns by Beaumont, TX that are called "sundown towns." I didn't know what that meant but was told that if you were anything other than white you shouldn't come out at night. The really bad town we heard was Vidor, and was close to where that guy was drug behind that truck. I thought those days were gone but just thought I would let you know. Very sad those places still exist

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 25,284 times
I have lived in the thumb area of Michigan my intire life. I don't run into alot of racism issues in my area. Don't get me wrong we have our few bad seeds, but I think you'll find they anywhere

Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,356 times
Thanks for the comments everyone, please countinue to feel free to post more.

I'm very surprise to hear that NYC is segregated. I never thought it was, maybe because I never been there before. I thought NYC was very diverse in its community... I would have never guess ( Okay maybe I would have ) that it was segregated. I'm also shock to hear about "sundown" towns... sad to hear about the problems that go on there. Making this post I asked about Michigan and I got alot of feed back on Michigan, and I also got alot of feed back on areas than Michigan. Which I'm actually glad to hear this information because I'm learning more from it.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,949,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Yeah, how dare those mean old whites segregate themselves from the crime, bad schools, and other social ills that plague those cities you mention. What are they thinking? They should be celebrating and embracing diversity. Haven't they noticed how much better and more livable our cities get as they become more diverse and multicultural?
Give me a break.
By the way, suydam, I notice you live in East Grand Rapids, Michgan. I just looked up the stats for that town, and it is 96.5 % white.
So it looks like you're engaging in a little segregation yourself.
Naughty. naughty.
So mrkool, are you saying that "crime, bad schools, and other social ills" are only created by non-whites??? I seem to think it is an economic problem vs. a racial thing.....just my humble educated opinion of course.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,736,358 times
I am letting this discussion continue as I hope you guys will make it an insightful analysis of an important issue. I hope I am right
Yac.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 AM

845 posts, read 3,273,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
So mrkool, are you saying that "crime, bad schools, and other social ills" are only created by non-whites??? I seem to think it is an economic problem vs. a racial thing.....just my humble educated opinion of course.
I agree 100%...race is not the cause of, or even a non-causal indicator of drugs, violence and crime.

It's all economics! Poor, hopeless neighborhoods...regardless of the skin color of their residents... have higher crime and drugs than affluent ones.

In some parts of the country, that means african americans. In some parts of the country, that's white folks in trailer parks. In other parts of the country it's illegal immigrants living under bridges. In the end it's never about the skin color and all about the economics of a particular area, neighborhood or family.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times
Is racism defined as in INTENT or as an EFFECT in your quest for understanding? No one can read the mind of another and self proclamations are unreliable due to the human propensity towards deception and denial that seeks to fool others….and often oneself. So there is really no means to measure racism from the stand point of cognitive intent or emotional beliefs. This only leaves EFFECT, which is of itself a reaction to various stimuli that must be controlled for in order to isolate the causation as racism.

I tend to believe that one has to look for abstract historical patterns. Historically there has always been a link between racism and economics. When there is abundance of resources and opportunity there is less reason for human conflict. As resources and opportunity become scarcer people with shared commonalities or traits tend to compete against those who are different as there is strength and power in numbers. It breeds an “us” against “them” culture which strengthens “isms” whether it be racial or class. Following that theory, the most racist areas of Michigan are likely the most economically distressed areas of Michigan.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,356 times
Thanks for the comments.
I doubt that the most racist areas of Michigan are likely the most economically distressed areas of Michigan. Sorry to differ, but I visit the Detroit metro area and seen a large lack of racism. As I went to the tip of Michigan, near Traverse City and Mackinaw City I saw people treated unfairly/ differently ( well my oppinion. ) I also beg to differ about racism just a cause of economics. There are many different types of racism, so I wouldnt say racism is a cause of economics. Many racism situations is a cause of your different background, culture, just yourself.
I hope me opposing to some people comments dont offend anyone. We all have a voice to be heard and have different oppinions. They are different for a reason... so please let it be heard.
-Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan